Desven tries to connect to the Hivenet

A Vaurca application.

BYOND key: Desven

Character names: Pierre Godard, Luciano Morricone

Species you are applying to play: Vaurca

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: RGB 55, 0, 120

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: (One paragraph minimum)

My understanding of Vaurcae since my last application has changed drastically, mostly due to exposure to them. I just think they're  neat unique and I've grown to become a bug fanboy myself. Just from the adorable accents, to their unique behaviors and colors. Their social structures are also pretty interesting, and I think they demand a lot of the player to not just 'make it human, but bug'. Perhaps one of the other perks I see now is their unique Hivenet communication. There have been a lot of Vaurca players lately, and I feel like I'm just missing out from all the fun they have together.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: (One Paragraph minimum)

Probably the biggest difference is their eusociality. I think it's one of the most fascinating aspect of them, and the dynamics they have between each others is amazing. I've seen Vaurcae bond to build projects together, or if not, at least to make that poor Viax run around everywhere. Many find it unsettling when it happens, and I agree it kind of is if you're under the 'human' mentality, but once you start thinking like a Vaurca it makes perfect sense. Their lost technology , and their augmentations are also unique lore-wise. I think it's a trope that's not really explored much in-game and would love to expand it more. Lastly, I mention their augmentations because while the Vaurcae we see in game are not heavily augmented, the mechanics of phoron filtration are quite interesting and also add for a mechanical challenge.

Character Name: Ka'Akaix'Pax C'thur

Please provide a short backstory for this character: (Approximately two paragraphs)

Taking from my past character idea, this Vaurca stems from an alliance between the C'thur hive and Zeng-Hu Pharmaceuticals. Although Unbound, Pax and his siblings were specifically targeted for integration in the Eridian society and Zeng-Hu work ethic. Because of such, he has received implants that allow him to speak 'almost' normally, although sometimes a z might slip, which he finds embarrassing. Since his separation from the VR, he has worked as a pharmacist, mainly trying to synthesize better next generation ZH branded chemicals. Because of all the recent changes onboard the station, and because of work policies that unfavored Vaurcae, he was relocated to the Aurora, no longer in research but as a regular pharmacist. As a member of the Xetl hive, and because of his Eridani experience, he is almost competetive; not that he wishes a promotion, but rather he is displeased by his relocation, and bringing up the conversation might make him bitter.

Work aside, he finds humans quite interesting. He is an avid watcher of reality holo TV and wacky comedy shows, and if caught in a good mood he will try to make a joke to socialize with his coworkers. As my past character idea, he is also interested in papercrafts and allows himself to consume some toothpaste when out with friends. He is new in Biesel, and laments the loss of his friends that came with his relocation, but he's eager to make new lasting friendships too.

What do you like about this character?:

Mostly his curiosity, and his desire to blend in. This doesn't mean he's planning to become more human, and he is proud of being a Vaurca, but he doesn't like the discrimination he has faced in human space because of it and thinks that, instead of aiming for societal change, it's best to just please the humans that surround him. I'm not sure if I'll keep the bureaucracy aspect I had thought of before, but I would like to make him a corporate shill in his own strange, Vaurca way, such as refer to Liqin Hsiao-Li as Queen Liqin. And although I would like to eventually make a character with a thicker accent along the way, not having the auto-hissing on means I will have to be conscious when and how his Vaurca accent shows.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?: Feeling somewhat generous tonight, so I'll say I'm fairly good at it; however, I always seek room to improve.

Notes: Shilling an app is hard, especially if it's a species app and while I'll share it with the bug gang I can't really guarantee there'll be much feedback. I hope loredevs take this into consideration for whenever they plan to start the inquisition questions.

Pierre Godard as far as I can tell is quite an enjoyable person to play with when playing viax. I have seen Desven's interest in vaurca grow over time and his roleplay has also been pretty good as far as I've seen. I believe they've really done their research both by watching vaurca players in game and on the wiki and are passionate about this. I would be happy to see them playing the part of the bug instead of ordering me around as a human when I play viax +1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Vaurca are probably my weakest section of lore these days, as last time I was acutely familiar with them was multiple rewrites ago. But I'll do my best. At the moment I only really have two issues that I take up with this application, maybe three. The first (and very iffy, on my part) one is that, I'm not immediately aware of a C'thur Zheng-Hu mix, and couldn't find it through a quick wiki search. Maybe it's a news article? It can be hard to keep track of sometimes. But C'thur are closely interlinked with Eridani and Skrell, and Eridani and Skrell are closely linked with Zheng-Hu, so, it makes sense. The second is the whole, synthesizer that avoids the vaurcese accent thing. Generally, I'm somewhat apprehensive of characters that don't have their xeno-accents, but maybe that's a more minor item. If I accepted this app, and the vac dev decided later that you had to use the accent, just be open to the idea is all, as it's somewhat iffy to me, but I'm ambivalent about it. Vaurca have all sorts of mechanical implants, a voice synthesizer that has less of an accent seems pretty believable. The last, and probably only non-nitpick real criticism I have, is what exactly makes Pax a C'thur? And more specifically, a Xetl Brood? The C'thur are a hive that's all about cash money and financial development. The Xetl Brood is all about integrating within Skrell/Human society, but the wiki page seems to make it out to be a rigorous and intensive study and process, under the guidance of the Sensate. Pax definitely seems well-adjusted into human society, but I think the backstory would be a lot better if we had more on Pax's journey and process. I guess what I'm getting at here is, to reiterate, what makes Pax a C'thur (with note that C'thur are heavily tied in with skrell)? How has being part of the Xetl Brood impacted and directed the events in his life?

Edited by Mofo1995
Fixed an ambiguous statement
1 hour ago, Mofo1995 said:

Hello!

Vaurca are probably my weakest section of lore these days, as last time I was acutely familiar with them was multiple rewrites ago. But I'll do my best. At the moment I only really have two issues that I take up with this application, maybe three. The first (and very iffy, on my part) one is that, I'm not immediately aware of a C'thur Zheng-Hu mix, and couldn't find it through a quick wiki search. Maybe it's a news article? It can be hard to keep track of sometimes. But C'thur are closely interlinked with Eridani and Skrell, and Eridani and Skrell are closely linked with Zheng-Hu, so, it makes sense. The second is the whole, synthesizer that avoids the vaurcese accent thing. Generally, I'm somewhat apprehensive of characters that don't have their xeno-accents, but maybe that's a more minor item. If I accepted this app, and the vac dev decided later that you had to use the accent, just be open to the idea is all, as it's somewhat iffy to me, but I'm ambivalent about it. Vaurca have all sorts of mechanical implants, a voice synthesizer that has less of an accent seems pretty believable. The last, and probably only non-nitpick real criticism I have, is what exactly makes Pax a C'thur? And more specifically, a Xetl Brood? The C'thur are a hive that's all about cash money and financial development. The Xetl Brood is all about integrating within Skrell/Human society, but the wiki page seems to make it out to be a rigorous and intensive study and process, under the guidance of the Sensate. Pax definitely seems well-adjusted into human society, but I think the backstory would be a lot better if we had more on Pax's journey and process. I guess what I'm getting at here is, to reiterate, what makes Pax a C'thur (with note that C'thur are heavily tied in with skrell)? How has being part of the Xetl Brood impacted and directed the events in his life?

Hey. Thank you for replying. We actually have had a few C'thur ZH Vaurcae lately, and I've been following the discussions about the matter on the discord. I agree there probably should be a mention of it somewhere on the wiki, as questions about Vaurca contractors often pop up. Second of all, I agree that xeno accents are cool, and in fact I would probably tweak Pax to have his, but it makes sense for the character (as being a Vaurca that has basically spent most of his life in Eridani) to try to conceal it. I've seen other Vaurca, played by Vaurca loredevs, that have implants for it; perhaps I would just set the auto-hiss for the s to turn into zz.

As for the connections with the Skrell, I know that they are heavily tied, and I should perhaps expand upon that. The original concept was that Pax was basically an Eridanian Vaurca, but now that I think more about it, it is likely that he was born inside the Jargon Federation before being sent to Eridani. Because of that, he would speak Nral'Malic and probably has some Skrellian culture ingrained, despite his years at human space. I had mentioned that Pax enjoys reality shows, and likely has a bizarre idea of the idols promoted by the Federation, as well as those he may consider idols abroad (be it TV stars, somebody he admires, etc). I think part of the Sensate ideals mix well with the Skrell formation too, like their humor. Perhaps Pax's emotions are shown in a similar fashion as Skrell show theirs, with all his limitations to do so, of course.

I think Pax is as money driven as a Vaurca can be, and greatly appreciates hard-working people too. Because of this mixed Skrell/Eridani background, he also likely believes in 'pulling one by the bootstraps' and just having financial security. And, of course, the attempt to try new sensations. The character I play the most, Pierre Godard, is really uptight and I often can't let him lose. Not that I would make Pax act crazy or anything, but I would like for him to attempt to be more humorous, even probably somewhat of a prankster, and also seek new sensations. I would like to express this more in humor rather than in physical scenarios. I think he, as the unbound of his brood, is greatly desensitized about the sensations and he tries to come with more humorous or joyful situations in his life, as well as melodramatic ones to balance it out. As for how it has affected him, I would say he enjoyed Eridanian nightlife, the expensive creative dishes and drinks that Oran is famous for and probably finds Biesel too tame for this. I would not hesitate for him to request exotic foods containing k'ois or something, just to get upset because the chef wouldn't know what he's talking about. In his formation, it probably allowed for him to fit better into the corporate yuppie-like environment of Eridani; and, as for now, I believe it will be, at least at first, a challenge for him to adapt, however, he will definitely feel grateful about the emotions he is feeling, be it despair or joy.

i find this very interesting. a vaurca that fits so well into the corporate life because of how the hives KINDA work like corporations?

Really says a lot about our SOCIETY.

anyways i know you're a great roleplayer and know you've seen and read plenty of vaurca lore, you totally have it in the bag.

+1 drink some toothpaste

Hey

few quick things :

• I as you said ZH are ones that are super up for contracting out bugs so thats all good.
  • I regards to the vocal augments I believe vocal augment quirks (such as producing more proment ZZZ when using S being unable to mask the intense buzzing sound and VH for F and PH) are more acording to the quality of such vocal augments, such is why I believe Ta can have no augment problems (cause they get the good stuff) and I could see a contracted Vaurca getting pretty high tech, if only to make the company more open to using them more (don't quote me on this may be total head cannon but that's what I gain from "due to the desperate times the species is in, speech augments tend to be of variable quality")

and for my question -

• Xetl's brood is quite known for being extreme, pushing the limits due to being largly desensitized from the intense experience within VR, does Pax do actions of note to push for these extreme experiences or has a way of satifying said erge
  • secondly what is Pax thoughts on the way they are seen within the Hive (such as being excluded from diplomatic dealings) and within other hives (as C'thur to Zo'ra and K'lax)

11 hours ago, Siccero said:

Hey

few quick things :

• I as you said ZH are ones that are super up for contracting out bugs so thats all good.
  • I regards to the vocal augments I believe vocal augment quirks (such as producing more proment ZZZ when using S being unable to mask the intense buzzing sound and VH for F and PH) are more acording to the quality of such vocal augments, such is why I believe Ta can have no augment problems (cause they get the good stuff) and I could see a contracted Vaurca getting pretty high tech, if only to make the company more open to using them more (don't quote me on this may be total head cannon but that's what I gain from "due to the desperate times the species is in, speech augments tend to be of variable quality")

and for my question -

• Xetl's brood is quite known for being extreme, pushing the limits due to being largly desensitized from the intense experience within VR, does Pax do actions of note to push for these extreme experiences or has a way of satifying said erge
  • secondly what is Pax thoughts on the way they are seen within the Hive (such as being excluded from diplomatic dealings) and within other hives (as C'thur to Zo'ra and K'lax)

As I was saying on my second post, I would express this mostly through humor. I know some of the current medical staff is somewhat of a prankster, so i would loocly make sure to coordinate with them to push for slapstick comedy. As for other emotions, he would probably take a while to react to stress or rage or even happiness, until several moments of those ammount, but he would definitely seek these opportunities to scratch the itch, so to speak.

As for the second question, I think this would depend mostly in the interactions with other Vaurca players. He would probably be wary of some of the other C'thur broods, and the other hives would probably be alien to him. I don't think he would hold a grudge against K'lax as much as other C'thur, but he would certainly be quicker to distrust some of them. You can see I'm a big proponent of the Hivenet and Vaurca cooperation, so ICly I would prefer if Pax was, well, peaceful, as his name suggests, and not cause any trouble with his bug brethen.