Aleksander Chernikovskiy's going for HoS

BYOND key: Tacaemarr

Character names: Aleksander Chernikovskiy

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Since 2018 January (2018-01-30)

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: What could be more delightful than commanding and then taking responsibility? Only commanding and taking responsibility in Space Station 13, where the commander's decision can mean whether the station will be blown up or the nukops will leave in peace! As a whitelisted commander I'm given an actual opportunity to influence rounds, and hopefully making it fun and remembering for others, who got the luck to play with me!

Why did you come to Aurora?: In those years of 2016-2018 I actively played on Paradise Station and TG, but after a while I began to find these servers... Boring, or what? I got tired of them, and just at that time I was starting to get in with the roleplay movement. I searched, tried different servers, and here it is, the moment of truth - I find Aurora staying on my way, shining bright and dragging me out not for a month, but then for a years. I realized that this is exactly what I need. I haven’t played anywhere but Aurora, and to be honest, neither now, with the exception of rare events on the CM and private sessions. 

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: Aurora’s wiki is my favorite book I’m reading my whole free time. Yes I did.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they?: I have received, ugh, pretty much warnings starting from 2018 for minor and not that minor incidents (my biggest one was an antag ban, which I had removed successfully then - https://forums.aurorastation.org/topic/14275-accepted-tacaemarrs-unban-appeal/?tab=comments#comment-135493). However, I do acknowledge all of them and haven’t receive anything for a while ;-;
It is surely not the point I must be proud of, but I’ll be hopefully getting any chances on that application regardless of my past, as most of the warnings were related, indirectly or directly to my antag routine.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: RolePlay has many definitions for different people, but for me it is a structured world in which the lives of my characters are valued as if I was appreciating myself. There is a difference between you and "you." You are the person playing the game, pressing the keys and clicking the mouse. "You" is your character. "You" does not know everything you do. You know what's being said in OOC chat, who killed you 10 seconds ago, and who's currently playing the server based on the *who* tab. "You" doesn't know these things, because "you" is an entity that exists solely in the game world, and has no knowledge of anything else. "You" interacts with other players in the game the way "you" would, not the way you would. You are not a mercenary, while "you" might be. "You" exists in a world governed by mega-corporations, bluespace and space carps.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The main purpose of the commander - is to be responsible to their department, and the interactions of players with it. They give tasks, rule the situation, and primarily - not allowing players to get bored, if the round is, put it mildly, “going too smooth”. In the absence of other heads, in a situation where you are the only department head on the station, you assume the role, responsibility and duties of an acting captain, who is responsible not only for his department, but also for the entire station and personnel. In the event of emergency, intruders, or a sudden donut sale, you are the first person to decide further actions.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Same as an antag, “You drive the Story”. You are, primarily, responsible for the shift and how players will remember it. A boring softy captain who can’t do any shit but pressing an emergency shuttle button at the 30 minutes of round, or a chief, getting the initiative in his hands and trying to roll the situation in the favour of crew members and further warm OOC and IC memories.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?: None of the more or less major past events does directly affect my character - Aleksander Chernikovskiy, a former employee of Zavodskoi Interstellar.
What does the former mean: the internal conflicts of Zavodskoi contract service, misunderstandings among the superiors, betrayal on the part of some colleagues, in whose assistance Aleksander was suspected, forced him to leave the corporation and contract service with NanoTrasen as a Zavodskoi corporate collaborator, joining the NT on full rights and grounds.  

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?: Head of Security primarily, would like then to discuss the possibility with an administrator to play Corporate Liaison.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking: Alexander Chernikovskiy, the Head of Security.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: 8/10

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Yes, I do.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?: Yes

Extra notes: OwO

A.Chernikovskiy.thumb.jpg.50a64d650e36dcb78a965cb82866725e.jpg

Edited by Tacaemarr

Hi there, I saw this post hanging for a bit so I decided to add my weight into it.

I've only interacted a few times with Aleksander, and as a character, I've just come to know him as the Zavod officer who speaks in broken Basic, I didn't really get much out of his character aside from that, which I wouldn't really call a positive thing for that matter. 

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The main purpose of the commander - is to be responsible to their department, and the interactions of players with it. They give tasks, rule the situation, and primarily - not allowing players to get bored, if the round is, put it mildly, “going too smooth”. In the absence of other heads, in a situation where you are the only department head on the station, you assume the role, responsibility and duties of an acting captain, who is responsible not only for his department, but also for the entire station and personnel. In the event of emergency, intruders, or a sudden donut sale, you are the first person to decide further actions.

When lookign at your answers, it seems to me like you DO have a good idea what it means to assume a command role. You understand the OOC implications, how much effect they can have on the flow of a round, as well as the responsibilities that come along with it both ICly and OOC.

It leaves me kidn of mixed, because on one hand I have this "meh" impression of your security officer (which btw I'll add some more on in a bit), but you show the OOC competence I like to see in heads of staff.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?: None of the more or less major past events does directly affect my character - Aleksander Chernikovskiy, a former employee of Zavodskoi Interstellar.
What does the former mean: the internal conflicts of Zavodskoi contract service, misunderstandings among the superiors, betrayal on the part of some colleagues, in whose assistance Aleksander was suspected, forced him to leave the corporation and contract service with NanoTrasen as a Zavodskoi corporate collaborator, joining the NT on full rights and grounds.  

You state that Aleksander was forced to leave Zavodskoi (I recall seeing him as a contractor on station as well) because he was being accused/suspected of something? If it was that gross to force him out of his contractual obligations, then why would 1. NT be willing to not only HIRE him, but 2. also hand him the rank of Head of Security?  Why exactly does he take service with Nanotrasen as a "Zavodskoi corporate collaborator", what exactly does that entail if he's no longer working for Zavodskoi?

I'm not sure if you are aware, but at the moment both Nanotrasen and Zavodskoi operate under the same brand of the SCC (Stellar Corporate Conglomerate), therefor making them closer partners than ever before. If Zavod has reasons to suspect him of a crime/severe misdemeanor, then it seems a bit weird that Nanotrasen would be open to accept him in their security force (and also promote him for that matter). It may have been allegated, sure, but would Nanotrasen take that risk?

It might seem like I'm cracking hard right now, but I'm just curious how this character will play out on-station if they were to become a head. At the very least I'd still give a +1 if you were offered a trialship, but use a different character for that matter who would be much more fitting for the position.

1 hour ago, Ricky_the_banshee said:

You state that Aleksander was forced to leave Zavodskoi (I recall seeing him as a contractor on station as well) because he was being accused/suspected of something? If it was that gross to force him out of his contractual obligations, then why would 1. NT be willing to not only HIRE him, but 2. also hand him the rank of Head of Security?  Why exactly does he take service with Nanotrasen as a "Zavodskoi corporate collaborator", what exactly does that entail if he's no longer working for Zavodskoi?

I have not comletely think through the theory of switching from Zavodskoi to NanoTrasen, as I considered it... Not necessary enough, but in general I agree that it would look very weird, so I suppose, either I should agree and not promote Aleksander in place of the head and create a new - more reasonably suitable character. Or to justify Aleksander with another legalized reason of not seeing any further prospects as an employee of Zavodskoi and joining NanoTrasen. I'll leave that to the decision of staff.

After having played a round where Aleksander was made an interim HoS, I must respectfully say I do not have any confidence in your ability to play command staff. I feel like you handled the situation very poorly and didn't quite know what to do in the given situation. I'm sorry, but -1 from me.

4 minutes ago, DanseMacabre said:

After having played a round where Aleksander was made an interim HoS, I must respectfully say I do not have any confidence in your ability to play command staff. I feel like you handled the situation very poorly and didn't quite know what to do in the given situation. I'm sorry, but -1 from me.

Thank you for the feedback, after all, I have to gather all the comments, not just good ones.

If you want any of justification mean, I'd say the shift was very specific and not that easily contolable. A crowd rushing for power - is a crowd rushing for power. I won't refute some of my own actions that might be taken too long and perhaps some incompetence in ~some~ matters, but I'd just say it been too late to take situation under control of what you're talking!

Not a fan of how you handled the merc round as an interim, while you were given a very shaky handful of cards, your attempts at controlling the situation were a let down and I'm unsure if you'll be able to handle something similar in the future as an actual, proper HoS.

I have to agree with the above feedback, not to beat a dead horse. I personally, IC, had heard Chernikovsiy, as interim HoS, literally say they would not take prisoners during a round where crew had defected. This directly lead to the already bad situation spiraling further out of hand, alongside other poor management of the round. I mean no insult by this, but these attitudes are not good for a command player by any means. I have to also give a -1 to this, because I am not certain you could manage a hectic merc round like this in the future.

So the one more excuse. Yes, the round was less than good, but there were reasons for this - delayed reaction. I became Interim HoS too late, once when the mercenaries landed and set part of the crew to their side. I honestly tried to convince them that it would end with blood and murder, that they would lose their jobs and would not be able to return to work in the same status. I also has been consulting with the acting captain all the time, but this is my application - so I will answer only for myself, and won't be justifying by the actions of other heads.

Edited by Tacaemarr

This application is denied. We've found the feedback given and observed by us to be too negative to give you a trial as it is. The issues here mainly stem from your command play being seen as too aggressive and thus from your character.

I suggest leaving your zone of comfort and experimenting with different characters and personalities.