[Accepted] Colfer Transforms Into A Lizard - Unathi Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: Colfer
Character Names: Ka'Viax'Zoin C'thur , SMNR-350 , Observing Unique Forms Of People, Mister Mug Master
Species you are applying to play: Unathi
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: A darker greyish in color
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Of course I have
Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.
Why do you wish to play this specific race:
Some unathi I've seen have have ranged anywhere between extremely bland to extremely intricate and interesting, focusing more on the interesting parts, I've personally looked into their lore to see what they were all about since it seemed heavily based on player choice to make it interesting and I wanted to see what the options were. After quickly glancing over the unathi lore page I found that I was captivated by some of the lore and possibilities for characters, and ended up reading through the wiki page for about an hour and a half before I grew bored, I thought that their approach to honor, be it normal honor or pirate honor was neat, as well as the various guilds, namely the shadow service being my favorite. In summary, why I want to play this race is that it seems very open ended and friendly to forming new and interesting characters without any ridged design choices I was mislead on or misinterpreted

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human
Unathi are largely different to human beings in psychology and not just physiology, unathi males being brutish and straight forwards with their environment and the people in it, while females are more charismatic and social, having somewhat relaxed responsibility and need to act as an example to others. Unathi most of the time, play similarly to a human physically, except when it comes to things like duels or play fights, whereas unathi may hit, slap or tail tap friends as a sign of respect or brotherly love, a human may be wounded or injured by these acts. Most unathi are also honor bound, unlike humans, sworn to certain beliefs of their clan, their family or themselves, unathi are strictly bound by certain parts of their belief, and most unathi always respect their ancestors and look up to their elders for wisdom, guidance or instruction. Talking about unathi being different from humans wouldnt be complete without talking about their religion with some religions being equivilent to cults, and others being wild and traditional, some faiths revolve around the spirit of a being, that spirits from beyond can contact the living in many different ways and supposedly influence the natural world based on the experience with the person that that have spoken to. Other religions following unusual paths, such as the Aut'akh which follow a trans-unathiist doctrine which believes in augmentation to remove weaknesses of the flesh and scales, and that losing more parts of the body to augmentation strengthen the magic that believers control and allow their spirit to flourish within their still partially living bodies. Physiologically unathi are cold blooded carnivores, and are often taller and bulkier than humans on average, sharing alot of similarity to reptiles on earth in other matters of biology

Character Name: Kraski Urzika

Please provide a short backstory for this character
Kraski Urzika was hatched on the planet of Ouerea shortly after the start of the contact war and spent the majority of their life as a child in simple studies provided to the original colonists to Ouerea. Kraski Urzika's father would often be out working within Isoz that had cropped up on the planet while the mother tended to Kraski Urzika and his education in the free time, and helped in simple labors elsewhere. Kraski was taught in the ways of Th'akh but never thoroughly grasped onto the conscept or the ideas of it very firmly, treating the religion as simply a fact of life and a normality, but not a devout believer, especially after hearing about the practices of Aut'akh, Sk'akh and various other interpritations and human religions and wondering which of them was the most true

During Kraski's years of childhood up to the age of 12, he was particularly curious of everything, enjoying the understanding of the newest technologies or ideas or ideologies, listening to new or old rumors circulating around the colony and watching the news to see how the contact war had been progressing over time. At the age of 7 years old Kraski was given a gift from his father, a personal AI device purchased on the day of his birth and preloaded with a helpful social assistant, unknown to his father, this object embued with the simulation of a spirit would sow the seeds of Aut'akh in Kraski's memory later in his life, but at the time, the helpful assistant was able to entertain Kraski with his curious tendencies and technological inquiries and served as a close companion for years to come, pushing aside some of Kraski's real childhood friends in the process.

At the age of 12 Kraski's father had been critically wounded while preforming logistics for the colony, having a majority of his lower body and his right arm destroyed after being crushed by hephastus industrial machinery during his work. The father remained alive for 2 days before finally succumbing to his injuries, refusing prosthetics whole-heartedly which would have otherwise saved his life, much to the protest of Kraski who informed him about Aut'akh and life-saving prosthetics that were available to him, choosing to die instead of distort his spirit, as he put it.  After the death of Kraski's father, despite the proper burial rights preformed, Kraski felt as if the ideology his family followed from that point forward were detrimental to the survival of himself and his mother, and partially converted to the ideas of Aut'akh, further motivated by the lack of corporate consern over the death of his father, now believing that the corporations simply didnt care, even if it wasnt fully their fault.

During Kraski's adulthood, after the age of 16 he began to consult believers near the places of the local workers guild that he served, or aut'akh themselves for more information about the ideology and quickly fell in love with it, seeing the weaknesses of his flesh after his fathers death, he quickly became an firm believer left his previous life behind and denouncing his clan, naming himself Kraski Rikurt, or "Revealed" in Mador due to his revelation of faith, keeping himself determined with the memory of his father, seeing that converting others to his new beliefs would help them avoid the same misery that he had to go through when his father refused to live to what he now understood to be influence of the flesh that clouded his fathers spirit.

During the massive population spike of Ouerea around when Kraski was 19 years old, Kraski got his first augmentation in the form of a soul anchor, inscribed with the name of the pAI he had long before, since the card had since gone dead from a lack of maintenance months ago, as much as he wanted to, he resisted inscribing the name of his father onto his augments, out of respect for his beliefs after he died, no matter how wrong his fathers last wishes felt now. Over the rest of Kraski's life was the eventual recruitment into nanotrasen as a roboticist to offer discounted supplies to the growing number of unathi within the commune he was in and the eventual becoming of a shaman of sorts today with a couple different augmentations

What do you like about this character?
I like this character because in ways he is a reflection of myself in certain aspects and it helps me stay connected to the individual im playing as if I have something to keep me anchored to them. I've always wanted to play a shaman of a religion but I simply didnt feel like the options I had available to me (diona, human, IPC, vaurca) fit well with what I had in mind, but a shaman from unathi culture is naturally superstitious and wouldn't seem very out of place to do special rituals over people in the chapel or have unusual methods of meditation. (Even though humans could theoretically do this, they'd just get weirder looks)

How would you rate your role-playing ability?
If I was really getting into character I'd rate myself pretty high at 8/10, since I've made somebody actually cry in real life while playing a nurse on another game because I took care of them a little too well
Normally im pretty average, bit better or bit worse depending on the alignment of the nearby planetary bodies

Notes: Sorry if anything is a little lackluster or something, shoulder began cramping up like hell to the point where I could hardly see and was only going at like 2 words per 5 minutes, it sucked but im glad to finally get the application out after a couple revisions

Edited by Haydizzle
Accepted
On 09/08/2021 at 22:39, Colfer said:

Things

Sorry for the delay! Feel free to ping a lore dev if you make an app and don't receive a reply within three days.

Some questions:

1) What things does Kraski struggle with as a part of their new faith? What aspects of unathi culture do they stubbornly cling to?

2) How do you think Kraski views the Hegemony? How does he feel about working for a megacorp?

3) How did Kraski's choice to become an Aut'akh affect his family? Did buying a pAI bring people to view his father with suspicion?

1) Kraski struggles with affects from isolation when out of his commune, likely not relating to the various non-aut'akh and hesitant to speak with them even as a shaman, especially if they are opposed to Aut'akh as an idea.  Kraski still maintains the Th'akh beliefs regarding unorthadox marriages, such as between multiple species or the same sex, and believes that same sex relationships disrespect the memory of the bloodline.

2) Kraski views the Hegemony almost as a whole with distrust or suspicions and believes that the usage of alien technology in the contact war against weaker less technologically advanced targets was in an attempt to save face for a lack of strategic understanding and a lack of dignity to face opposition with what they have earned, rather taking a quick shortcut, they also have a slight bias against humans and skrell because of this. Most importantly, Kraski believes that the contact war began due to the Hegemony's cheap exploit over others, and that atomic warfare would never had happened if they simply fought in a traditional manner, as they would have lost.  Kraski believes that working for a megacorporation is simply a fact of life that must be passed through for the greater good of the self, others, or a group; in summary, they do not enjoy it, but know that their earnings can further their ultimate goal to support their commune.

Kraski's mother was adversely affected by the choice after having lost her husband in an accident, fearing that her only son may be lost as well she initally refused the notion and assigned Th'akh shaman to regularly preform rituals and try to maintain Kraski's faith in the Th'akh, ultimately driving him away from the clan entirely due to it and the sudden strictness of his mother. Buying a pAI did not bring people to view his father with suspicion, most people saw it as a harmless and intriguing toy or annoying at worst.

Colfer plays seemingly boring, but are actually quite interesting characters, taking the personality-less character concepts from a glance, and actually making a character out of it.

I have no doubt as well that he'd do well with a Unathi character. The backstory seems interesting, and I like the take on the Aut'akh. Personally I support this, I think Colfer'll do well. +1

• Haydizzle changed the title to [Accepted] Colfer Transforms Into A Lizard - Unathi Whitelist Application