Help! Unathi Holidays!

Marlon P.

I think it would be fun to have holidays for unathi to track that roll around on our IRL calender.

The moghean calender is wildly out of sync with our own so the framing is that the religious leaders are translating the holidays into GST time so unathi outside of moghes can celebrate. At least unless someone codes it for in-game watches to track Moghes time.

The screenshot is how the seasons and months on moghes are divided up. The extra 3 month names are just placeholders since they were never formally named.

Anyway what sort of holidays should we celebrate on station? When is unathi christmas? Do we have a ramadan?

Whats your holiday?

What day and month is it?

Whats it about?

What religious or seculsr rite does it celebrate, commemorate, mourn, etc?

How do we celebrate?

I will post my own suggestions soon. I want to hear others first'. :)

image0-23.png

I propose something like a Day of Redemption.

A day where those who feel guilt over their actions, regardless of their background, can seek redemption through the church or local government. The guard won't arrest people for past crimes on that day, but if you're actively committing crime then you're going to be arrested. This could be a more modern holiday meant to bring together the ex-Traditionalists and other wastelanders who have consolidated under Izweski rule out of necessity. 

After our chat last night, I decided to sit down and actually THINK. 

Holiday #1

Name: 

Festival of the Falling Stars

What day and month is it?: 

Versakh. Sept 23rd - Sura 2nd. Occurs every 51 - 52 years. 

What is it about?:

It is a festival celebrated roughly every 51 - 52 years, and is meant to convey the changing of hands of from one generation to the next. Due to the typical lifespan on an Unathi spanning roughly sixty years (give or take some change, especially with the advanced medicine). It is often viewed within both Sk'akh and Th'akh as being symbolic of the fact that Clan-Leaders must eventually conceed their power to the next generation, and not to go against the natural order established by the respective higher powers. 

What religious / secular rite does it celebrate, commemorate or mourn etc?: Sk'akh and Th'akh commemorate the event as a symbol of the natural order ordained by higher powers; essentially those in positions of power must conceed their power and allow those after them to lead the respective Clans (or whatever they lead) to honor. 

How do we celebrate?: 

The festival lasts four days, and four nights. Unathi are expected to fast during this period, and consume only water. Each night, clans are expected to gather and commence an evening fill of worship and prayers, mostly revolving around requests of guidance to their Clan-Leaders (such as to lead them honorably, hold steafast in their will against dishonorable temptations). After roughly four days of fasting and three nights of prayers, they will have a big celebration where they break their fast and praise their higher powers for a sucessful "Festival of the Falling Stars". The celebration is typically one where many indulge in too much drinking and eating, often leading to the day afterwards to be one of relaxation.