[Declined] Bunky Become Lizard - Unathi Application

BYOND Key: bunkyb
Character Names: Oliver Kurtis, Lazarus So-Jal
Species you are applying to play: Unathi
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Sandy-Brown
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Of course.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

When looking for a new race to apply for, I was looking for a species that has ties to the departments I play/want to play whilst allowing me to create varied characters that fit the roles I wish to play them in, Unathi seemed to be the best fit, it's easier for me to understand as compared to the other complex species, Tajara and Skrell - although not to sound derogatory at all, I'd say Unathi is the entry-level species of the 'big three'.
I'm interested in playing Unathi especially for their varied and unique regions, allowing for plenty of character concepts. I eventually wish to play a Ouerean alongside the character concept at the end of this application.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Unathi have a long history of struggle, be it from their feudal system of clan-ship or long and egregious wars with extreme consequences that can still be seen and felt by Unathi the spur over.
From the feudal systems of the Izweski Nation to the raiders, scavs and ranchers found deep within the wastes, you can conceive hundreds of characters with different religions, ideologies, goals and values that all work towards creating a more enjoyable roleplay experience.
The Unathi have a distinct code of honor, even those not bound by feudalism often find themselves looking up to the elders who have taught them, kept them safe and fed. Their honor system complements the gender roles that many Unathi follow; women having a much different lifestyle when compared to the man, each gender having their own code of honor, often influencing how you play the character.

Character Name: Skaxa Dorviza
Please provide a short backstory for this character
Skaxa Dorviza was born to the Dorviza clan, at a young age they learned the basics of how to handle medicinal herbs and started to work alongside other clansmen as well as Dionae in a role that could be comparable to a nurse, they pursued traditional education by speaking with elders, eventually earning permission to operate as a healer in the clan.
Despite working an honorable trade, Skaxa aspired for more, they applied for a Biesillian work visa and before long they started doing internships at small clinics for about a year and a half.
Money was not the goal for Skaxa, they were working for the opportunity that the Izweski guilds would call a 'masterpiece' and Skaxa's masterpiece was right around the corner. In their D15 apartment, Skaxa awoke to a handful of extranet-mails congratulating them on successfully getting hired - Your NanoTrasen Job Application Has Been Accepted - this was the break Skaxa was working towards and they had finally made it. The spirits have graced me with good luck, how else would I have been accepted? Skaxa thought to themselves, either way they needed to get ready for their internship.

What do you like about this character?

This character allows me to develop my understanding of Unathi using a bit of lore I've already got down, I've contemplated making wasteland Dionae in the past but I couldn't ever commit, with this character I'm able to utelise the things I know about the wasteland before dipping my toes into the deep end of Unathi lore.
This character allows me to develop my mechanical skills as they will initially be a medical intern, this serves two purposes as learning medical with entice me to play the character more, potentially avoiding a problem I had with my IPC and Dionae whitelist characters.
While having a pretty solid backstory, this character still allows me to re-write it, I plan for them to have a Diona Nymph prosthetic when that eventually gets merged.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I'm not the best at roleplay, I'd give myself a 6/10, I tend to prioritize gameplay over roleplay and I think that wont change if I intend to play this character in a learner role. 

Edited by Haydizzle

Alright. Your character's backstory section is a little short, and usually I use that to gauge a character's personality.

What are some character traits Dorviza has that can aid or hamper them? Go for at least one good and one bad trait and talk about them a bit.

Does Dorviza ever wish to return home? How does this affect their time in Biesel and their own culture?

What is are some aspects of Unathite culture Dorviza that are probably not leaving them, for better or for worse? Think of the species themes here!

Thank you for your time in applying.

Edited by Haydizzle
11 hours ago, Haydizzle said:

What are some character traits Dorviza has that can aids or hamper them?

Dorviza, like many others of their clan, is very traditional, this affects them in various ways such as their appearance, the way they present themselves or even how they perform their job.
This could lead to conflict that Dorviza has to handle, they are an intern and it'd be a bad idea to talk back to the people training you. They have to choose between their life-long goal and upholding the lessons that have been handed down to them from generations past.

11 hours ago, Haydizzle said:

Does Dorviza ever wish to return home? How does this affect their time in Biesel and their own culture?

Absolutely, Dorviza has witnessed the IAC doctors selflessly tend to their clansmen and aspires to one day do the same. Their time in Biesel and their work with modern medicine will eventually lead them to join the IAC with the hopes of returning home and helping their clansmen in the same way they helped them. Their time in Biesel won't strictly be 'work only' but Dorviza prioritizes their career and education above all else.

12 hours ago, Haydizzle said:

What is are some aspects of Unathite culture Dorviza that are probably not leaving them, for better or for worse? Think of the species themes here!

As referenced in the first response, Dorviza has very traditional values, believing in the social importance of gender roles and hold animals and Dionae in a higher regard as compared to a Hegemony Unathi. Their knowledge of handling animals has come in handy in the wastes, but has only gotten them into trouble in Biesel, often being a little too rough with the animals that they've 'treated'.
As referenced in the original post, I plan for Dorviza to have a Diona Nymph prosthetic when they get merged, Dorviza takes extreme care of their nymph, handling it safely and making sure it's able to learn what Dorviza is learning, Dorviza and their nymph have a relationship like no other and often have back-and-forths in Sinta'Unathi.
Dorviza currently has not been written to accommodate a Nymph prosthetic for this whitelist, but will be re-written once the PR is merged. 

Your Unathi is from the wasteland, meaning their views can be almost anything on the spectrum based on their own experiences and their clan. Your backstory is alittle short, but I've seen you RP, so I'm just attributing it to "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH"

anyways,
1. What does Skaxa think of the dishonorable minorities present in Unathi Culture, such as Guwan and Aut'akh? Many Unathi universally hate them, and in the case of Guwans, usually rightly so, due to their criminal association.

2. Skaxa, being in the wasteland, has probably encountered very few Xenos in their life. Perhaps the only thing they'd have ever seen was a Mi'kuetz K'lax wandering about. How do you think they will react to their organic alien counterparts? Even more shocking, how will they react to their Synthetic counterparts?

3. What faith does Skaxa subscribe too?

4. You use the pronoun they mostly in the app. Sex is an important theme within Unathi culture as it decides what Code the Unathi will walk. What sex is Skaxa? 

10 minutes ago, Butterrobber202 said:

1. What does Skaxa think of the dishonorable minorities present in Unathi Culture, such as Guwan and Aut'akh? Many Unathi universally hate them, and in the case of Guwans, usually rightly so, due to their criminal association.

Answered your own question, Dorviza, throughout her life, has experienced many raids from the Gawgaryn and often associates Guwans with being the same bandits that she's seen numerous times, sometimes being right on the dime.
Dorviza has seen few Aut'akh during her time in the wastes, but has not treated them much differently despite warnings from her elders. Dorviza does not see Aut'akh as lesser in any way, but refuses to listen to their teachings.

34 minutes ago, Butterrobber202 said:

2. Skaxa, being in the wasteland, has probably encountered very few Xenos in their life. Perhaps the only thing they'd have ever seen was a Mi'kuetz K'lax wandering about. How do you think they will react to their organic alien counterparts? Even more shocking, how will they react to their Synthetic counterparts?

As mentioned in my previous post, Dorviza has been around the IAC and has therefore witnessed a variety of peoples she did not recognize, Dorviza did not interact with the IAC much as a hatchling, opting to instead follow the teachings of her elders; Dorviza recognizes Humans, Dionae and Skrell and has shown to work well with them during the time she has spent in Biesel, she would be less accepting of the more exotic races she may come across.
It will take a while for Dorviza to accept working with and around synthetic life, she does not understand the concept and probably wont for a long while, possibly leading to some minor conflict, maybe a petty remark or two.

41 minutes ago, Butterrobber202 said:

3. What faith does Skaxa subscribe too?

I intended to touch on this in my previous post but forgot to.
Like many of her clansmen, Dorviza firmly believes in the Th'akh faith and always tries her best to impress the spirits of her ancestors, following the teachings of her elders and working to mend the wounds of her clansmen.
I plan to go into more depth with this once I better understand Th'akh, it's a wall of text and my ape brain cannot comprehend it all.

47 minutes ago, Butterrobber202 said:

4. You use the pronoun they mostly in the app. Sex is an important theme within Unathi culture as it decides what Code the Unathi will walk. What sex is Skaxa? 

I was waiting to make a decision, I've realized from the start that gender is important to Unathi, it is important to Dorviza as well due to her place in the wastes. I find it difficult to play female characters, but with the honour code I hope I'll be able to make a convincing female.

33 minutes ago, BunkyB said:

Dorviza has seen few Aut'akh during her time in the wastes, but has not treated them much differently despite warnings from her elders. Dorviza does not see Aut'akh as lesser in any way, but refuses to listen to their teachings.

A curious standpoint at the very least. It seems she acknowledges (or believes) their teachings are wrong, but doesn't treat them as wrong.

anyways, +1

Thank you again for the time you put into the application.

You have a good understanding of the timeline of events, the mindset of Unathi, and gave fitting answers to the questions.

However, my team and I feel the themes of the species are properly grasped. One important example is that you consistently refer to Dorviza as "they"— not that this in and of itself is an issue, but you barely touch on Th'akh, the religion that such notion of gender comes from, or any underlying reason for why they identify this way in the application or questions. You mention that they are traditional and what the wiki says this means and is like for sinta, but conversely, you do not take it and make it your own. What does being traditional mean for Dorviza?

I am denying this application. You can reapply in a little less than a week due to my slow replies in processing this application. I strongly encourage you to do so again as I think you are capable of getting this whitelist on the second go. Additionally, my deputies and I are more than happy to answer any questions you have and give you some guidance, should you feel stuck at any point.

• Haydizzle changed the title to [Declined] Bunky Become Lizard - Unathi Application