Mundane news/persistent universe?

Quick idea I came up with that I'd like to bring up to the lore people, but would there be an interest in having some fellows write background stories/articles following the current 2457 timeline?

Basically, you know how news are irl. Stuff happens, some internationally, some locally. When you come in to work, all you discuss isn't necessarily workplace drama - there's always other stuff going on, from such politician being involved in a scandal to protests over student tuition hikes and overseas conflicts.

Tajarans already have something like it, with Sue doing a wonderful job of producing Adhomai-related news in this thread: http://aurorastation.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=340

Could we have something like that for the general galactic community? As well as plug it somewhere, so people are aware of it and have an incentive to discuss it ICly?

I am absolutely in favor of this, the on foreseeable issue in my eyes is actually finding someone/a team dedicated enough to consistently work on it without, you know, randomly throwing in the towel two news stories in because they can't be bothered.

This would add a lot of accented flavour to the universe without slamming tiny lore details down the general populaces' collective throats, while adding to the possibilities of RP where characters with different political leanings may react very differently to some of the news, or simply use it as a background topic for a conversation that otherwise wouldn't have taken place.

10/10

Problem is, the lore team is busy. They have to write lore, fix stuff, and generally make the concrete stuff that we need to use, usable first. A persistent universe is difficult to manage on top of it. Just my two cents, not a member, just my assumption.

The Star League stands for a united Humanity. As First Lord of the Star League, it is my solemn responsibility to protect the welfare of that Humanity wherever it may be found, be it on Sian or Santiago, New Vandenberg or New Avalon, Andurien or Apollo, Castor or Canopus. Through me, the Star League assumes the awesome task of safeguarding the welfare of Humanity. It is a responsibility from which the League will never shrink, a responsibility it shall never lay down. The dark days of barbarism are over--we will not let them return again.

The only way to ensure equal protection for all, the only way to safeguard the liberties of each individual, is for every Human being to accept the benefits we offer, freely and openly. So long as a solitary individual of the most distant planet in the Periphery remains uneducated, impoverished, or disadvantaged, all are equally stricken.

We intend to see that the majority is not denied the benefits of culture and progress at the hands of a minority of radical isolationists. We intend to extend our benevolent protection to every corner of Human-occupied space, whatever the cost, until every man, woman, and child prospers and flourishes. Let no one stand in the way of Human progress. The time for reunification has come.

Seemed relevant.

Basically, you know how news are irl. Stuff happens, some internationally, some locally.

Like everyone else said, there's a news thread where you can post news. In addition to that, there's a war being planned in the background to make the background less static and actually have things happen it in that effect players.

Seemed relevant.

I actually drew inspiration from the Star-league for the first draft of the Sol Alliance.

That makes me wonder if we could get some people specifically dedicated to it. Though I suppose if anyone's interested, they'd end up finding that thread anyway.

What about more elaborate updates? Stuff with pictures, complex articles, interviews, etc? Sorta like what Sue has been doing?