Gr33dy Command Application, the second one.

BYOND key: Gr33dy
Character names: Za'Akaix'Rug Zo'ra, Mend Bloodshed in the Inky Cosmos, Jati Hunt. However, I really only play Rug at this time as I am figuring out what to do with Inky next and Jati is my HoP.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: I would say about, half a year give or take a month.
Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they?
yes, one warning when I first started regarding disconnecting without cryoing and the second was a three day ban for breaking a rule regarding taking stuff off of SSD people as an officer, this caused the whole round to pretty much end for the antags and lead to the removal of my head whitelist. This was, as said in my ban appeal, something I have learned from and a spur of the moment action that I was not thinking clearly about and am not proud of.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:
The OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is to assure that the round can move smoother and with commands from higher ups. Note that this does not mean to boss them around or rip them away from their own RP, but to give suggestions on what they feel they should do on that shift. I feel personally that taking away player engagement or agency no matter the head is an awful way to play, as I've seen a few in the past and they usually never last long. Very importantly, I feel the Head should be one of the first people new players can go to and learn about the game in an IC and OOC way. Thusly they should also be a beacon of good quality RP.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:
As I touched on it is to assist players in having a smoother round. Letting people know what command is saying and planning and coordinating people. However, as I said before, they should NOT pidgin hold people into doing what command wants OOC outside of emergency situations. As again, this feels AWFUL to have happen to you as a player and can remove what could otherwise be a round you could enjoy with IC friends into "First responders sit in medbay till something happens." and no one wants that.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?
Currently Tau Ceti is having a phoron shortage, as I mostly (only) play vaurca where I can this leads to issues regarding the price of food and drink containing phoron. Also as a vaurca, at this time they are treated to less pay and discrimination. However, the SCC has made a new ship to go and explore elsewhere that will be launching soon, causing my characters to move to the ship for their own reasons. This means they will need to leave what they have behind in hopes of new adventures. 

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?
At this time, I am thinking of playing a HoP, and MAYBE a RD, certainly however I will get to play my Ta again.

Have you familiarized yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?
Yes, I have also played them.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:
Jati Hunt will return as my HoP, as I feel I have yet to have them actually become fleshed out. If I do make an RD they will be a dionae, although at this time I am unsure of what name they would have.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action?
Indeed I do!

Extra notes:
No notes 🔫

How exactly is a bartender/janitor/shaft miner character becoming a head of personnel? This should have been asked during your last app, but it slipped my mind completely.

23 hours ago, Gr33d said:

as I feel I have yet to have them actually become fleshed out

What do you mean here?

The wiki states that they must be thirty years old and have 10 years experience in department-related field and a relevant Bachelors or Masters degree. So, by having 10 years of experience in that field, along with the proper education, I assumed they could become one if they applied, as this never came up in the original app I assumed this was fine, However, if this is an issue I have no problems what so ever making a new character to be my head of personnel.

As for my comment of fleshing out a character, I just meant that I really did not play them a whole lot after getting the WL proper so I did not get a chance to develop them more IC. But again, if there is an issue with the character I can just make a new one as I am not attached to them necessarily. 

On 02/01/2022 at 21:07, Gr33d said:

As for my comment of fleshing out a character, I just meant that I really did not play them a whole lot after getting the WL proper so I did not get a chance to develop them more IC. But again, if there is an issue with the character I can just make a new one as I am not attached to them necessarily. 

I highly suggest making a new character in general, considering your comments on your own character here and everything else I've said before.

3 hours ago, MattAtlas said:

I highly suggest making a new character in general, considering your comments on your own character here and everything else I've said before.

Absolutely! I will likely move forward with just RD for the moment as I am very much looking forward to that and make a HoP when I feel I have an idea in mind for them, Ill do some brainstorming in regards to that. 

I played with their HoP, Melody Williamson. Adjusting to command can definitely be hard, and I have some feedback after a particularly rough round. the gimmick was that of a terrorist who employed gas attacks against the crew.

after the first attack, your character knew who the culprit behind the atttacks was. instead of discussing it with the rest of command - and the Head of Security - you immediately called them out on it over general comms without explaining to command. the rest of command had no idea about your reasoning or accuracy for your claims, and it infringed on the rest of command's decision-making. 

additionally, when security confronted the perpetrator, he publicly declared that he would set off another gas grenade. at this point, my HoS told your character to vacate the area. you had no mask (to my knowledge), but instead you stayed by the antagonist and shot them with .45 flash rounds while security and the antagonist were engaging with lethals. this resulted in your character getting gassed witth red nighttshade, which could have killed her.

i do not write this as a -1 or +1, only that you should put more stock in communicating with the rest of command, and likely not seek out conflict on your HoP.

Edited by Faye <3

Of course, communication that round was quite rough and something I saw I needed to work on through the round. Some of the things said do have more context than that however. 

3 minutes ago, Faye &lt;3 said:

after the first attack, your character knew who the culprit behind the atttacks was. instead of discussing it with the rest of command - and the Head of Security - you immediately called them out on it over general comms without explaining to command. the rest of command had no idea about your reasoning or accuracy for your claims, and it infringed on the rest of command's decision-making. 

This was said during a heated moment over coms where I was gassed, puking and still under the effects of red nightshade. While normally I would communicate with command over this, I was drugged and IC upset. It was less a "oh your in big trouble criminal!" and more a "Oh you motherfucker, you gassed a ton of people in a room and I watched you do it"

7 minutes ago, Faye &lt;3 said:

additionally, when security confronted the perpetrator, he publicly declared that he would set off another gas grenade. at this point, my HoS told your character to vacate the area. you had no mask (to my knowledge), but instead you stayed by the antagonist and shot them with .45 flash rounds while security and the antagonist were engaging with lethals. this resulted in your character getting gassed.  

As for this, I actually left the area I thought the antag was in, as they left out the front of medbay and I went into the back, I was throwing up a bunch and needed food, so I slowly made my way over to the break room. The antag was near the break room and followed me and then beat my head a few times for a medical scanner I had. I reported this over coms and when I walked out of the room I saw sec aiming at the unathi, I was, as far as I knew, stuck between a wall, and the unathi. I was not looking for a fight or conflict, in fact, there were many times in that round I ran from combat where it was going on because I would get in the way. I drew my pistol, with flash rounds, mostly to protect me and the cadet behind me and expected I would not have to use it. In hindsight I should have left through one of the doors, but genuinely, in a round that crazy I did not think of doing so. However, as you said you told me to leave the area, and I did not see that, or the antag saying they had a nade, as I said though, thats on me of course and I do need to work on both reading and responding to communication.

This response is not to invalidate the criticism but just to shine a light on some of the events, both to replay the round in my head to help myself keep track of what I could do better and defend some actions that I feel look far better in context. I shall of course take the feedback in mind regarding communication however! Because again, I really did feel there were parts of that round that I really should have read something I missed or responded more to, I would like to HOPE this was a mix of being new to command in combination with it being a very crazy round and plan to work on that in future rounds. 

After playing with Melody Williamson as both a Research Director and Chief Medical Officer and dealing with them in those areas/situations only, I can safely say that I feel their conduct as Head of Personnel within the command-realm is excellent. We need more hoppers, and I think they can fit the bill.

+1

Edited by Mneme