ClemTheDuck Unathi Deputy App

Ckey/BYOND Username: ClemTheDuck

Position Being Applied For: Unathi Lore Deputy

Have you read the Lore Team Rules and Regulations wiki page?: Yes

Past Experiences/Knowledge: Besides playing Unathi a lot in recent months? None

Examples of Past Work: N/A

Additional Comments: nada

Extra Requirement: Wiki addition, additional criminal guild for the guilds page

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l5tPz6CaNPHPcFi5X-_W8OEDSWStk-gZZ2kZLwUOJGU/edit?usp=sharing

Essentially a new criminal guild responsible for smuggling Unathi off Moghes. As Guwan, Aut'akh, and Gawgaryn are all under scrutiny from the Hegemony, which gives little options for getting off world besides signing up with a company. The addition of this guild is meant to just give another way for a Unathi char to have moved into Biesel space.

Edit: added more info on how the guild is viewed by local authorities and other low class sinta!

Edited by ClemTheDuck

Hi there.

Spoiler

1. Hypothetically, let's say you have complete and unfettered access to take lore in any direction you want. What would you do? 

2. What do you not enjoy about Unathi Lore? How would you remedy this? 

3. How do you feel about interspecies coordination? 

4. Do you understand that the Lore Team sometimes has team projects and that you may be expected to contribute to such? Do you see yourself having issues with working on non-Unathi lore?

Goodluck. There are no wrong answers. 

On 10/02/2022 at 03:26, Caelphon said:

Hi there.

Hide contents

1. Hypothetically, let's say you have complete and unfettered access to take lore in any direction you want. What would you do? 

2. What do you not enjoy about Unathi Lore? How would you remedy this? 

3. How do you feel about interspecies coordination? 

4. Do you understand that the Lore Team sometimes has team projects and that you may be expected to contribute to such? Do you see yourself having issues with working on non-Unathi lore?

Goodluck. There are no wrong answers. 

1. I wouldnt want to make alot of sweeping changes, id focus on fleshing out how the major factions are connected, making them seem a bit more reliant on eachother going forward.

2. i wouldnt say i dont enjoy it, but sometimes it does feel that the Hegemony is fairly secluded from the Spur in terms of involvement in recent events, which makes sense considering they are still recovering after the contact war. I would like to see the Hegemony begin to cement its place in the galactic stage a bit more. Seeing the Hegemony go through more lore arcs and begining to expand their colonies beyond the Uueoa-Esa system would be where i start.

3. I think interspecies coordination is important when making the overall lore and narrative feel more alive and fleshed out. 

4. I dont see any issues with working with non Unathi lore. Im keen to assist on whats needed.

I like your proposal and I don't see any issues with your answers so far. I've got a few questions:

Do you have much experience with wiki editing? If not, have you considered looking into it since you made your app?

Do you have any specific plans for Unathi? Would any of these plans involve collaborating with the other species teams?

As an aside, it might be worth noting any edits you make to your proposal here to make sure people are aware that it may have changed since they last looked at it. 

Good luck with the app.

16 hours ago, WhatsUpBrotendo said:

I like your proposal and I don't see any issues with your answers so far. I've got a few questions:

Do you have much experience with wiki editing? If not, have you considered looking into it since you made your app?

Do you have any specific plans for Unathi? Would any of these plans involve collaborating with the other species teams?

As an aside, it might be worth noting any edits you make to your proposal here to make sure people are aware that it may have changed since they last looked at it. 

Good luck with the app.

I dont have any experience with wiki editing but i have looked into the editing guide that is on the wiki and am willing to learn and ask others if needed

In terms of any specific plans, i want to mainly focus on helping add details and flesh out Unathi lore. Although i do want to look into developing Unathi and Dominia relations, which kinda ties in with wanting to expand the Hegemonies reach in the future. I would haev to speak with human lore alot about that.

also yeah that is a good idea! 

I have some questions; feel free to be however brief or elaborate you want with the answers.

1) Both applicants talked about guilds, which I thought was an interesting topic. Would you say guilds are unimportant in the political sphere? What is their role in the grand scheme of things?

2) While I enjoy having deputies that agree with my vision, I think it's also important for them to stick to their guns on their thoughts if we disagree. Have you ever disagreed with any lore developments I've either helped in or done myself? Notable ones are but not limited to: any parts of the religion page, the prosthetics page, the Aut'akh rework, the articles regarding Ouerea, the Dominia additions for unathi, the unathi clothes additions in game.

3) Lore writers nowadays are expected to contribute on greater team projects, so chances are you will get to contribute on things for megacorps, projects for Biesel, and things that are outside the purview of any one species' lore. Taking this position means contributing on these is a given, but is there anything outside of unathi lore that interests you? Sometimes, if you have a passion for something and want to write about it, you can get approval to write about it on a maintainer or loremaster's behalf.

4) Now, time for probably the most important question in my eyes. This is perhaps a couple of smaller questions rolled into one.

Something other lore teams have taken to is adding new subspecies through lore developments. Dionae got a quicker and younger group, Vaurca had a large story and arc around introducing Bulwarks, and Skrell have one that got tails. In the wake of this, a lot of people make either idle remarks or full-on suggestions for adding a unathi subspecies. As a disclaimer, I'm neither condoning nor disapproving of the proposal and am using it as a method of gathering your thoughts. Often, you will be approached with ideas regarding the lore, so I think this is a good hypothetical. Do you think adding a subspecies for unathi specifically is a bad or good idea? What would qualify needing a new subspecies? How should a new subspecies be introduced? How would you reply to a player that disagrees with you and is adamant on their point of view on the matter?

16 hours ago, Haydizzle said:

I have some questions; feel free to be however brief or elaborate you want with the answers.

1) Both applicants talked about guilds, which I thought was an interesting topic. Would you say guilds are unimportant in the political sphere? What is their role in the grand scheme of things?

2) While I enjoy having deputies that agree with my vision, I think it's also important for them to stick to their guns on their thoughts if we disagree. Have you ever disagreed with any lore developments I've either helped in or done myself? Notable ones are but not limited to: any parts of the religion page, the prosthetics page, the Aut'akh rework, the articles regarding Ouerea, the Dominia additions for unathi, the unathi clothes additions in game.

3) Lore writers nowadays are expected to contribute on greater team projects, so chances are you will get to contribute on things for megacorps, projects for Biesel, and things that are outside the purview of any one species' lore. Taking this position means contributing on these is a given, but is there anything outside of unathi lore that interests you? Sometimes, if you have a passion for something and want to write about it, you can get approval to write about it on a maintainer or loremaster's behalf.

4) Now, time for probably the most important question in my eyes. This is perhaps a couple of smaller questions rolled into one.

Something other lore teams have taken to is adding new subspecies through lore developments. Dionae got a quicker and younger group, Vaurca had a large story and arc around introducing Bulwarks, and Skrell have one that got tails. In the wake of this, a lot of people make either idle remarks or full-on suggestions for adding a unathi subspecies. As a disclaimer, I'm neither condoning nor disapproving of the proposal and am using it as a method of gathering your thoughts. Often, you will be approached with ideas regarding the lore, so I think this is a good hypothetical. Do you think adding a subspecies for unathi specifically is a bad or good idea? What would qualify needing a new subspecies? How should a new subspecies be introduced? How would you reply to a player that disagrees with you and is adamant on their point of view on the matter?

1. I think the guilds have the potential to be very important in the political sphere. Right now it feels like the guilds do not have a strong presence in and beyond the Hegemony. In the grand scheme the guilds could be much more integral to Unathi lore going forward, becoming much more involved with the dealings of the Hegemony and the greater spur. Guilds like the Merchants, Fishing League and even the Labourers Guild, can have massive political leverage and power due to their roles and size. The Unathi guilds have the potential to become major players in future Unathi lore arcs, with their immense size and importance to not only the Hegemony but to other entities in the spur.

2. Honestly would have liked to see more than just traditional unathi garbs in the clothes addition. Seeing more "hybrid" clothes, which mix Unathi styles with more work or human centric designs. For example, jackets or jumpsuits designed specifically to keep Unathi warm in colder conditions. Although there wouldnt be ALOT of extra clothes that would be worth adding, personally i feel as though the additions would have been helpful in making Unathi feel more intergrated or shown the begining of how unathi are intergrating into human space.

3. Outside Unathi lore i would say human lore, specifically elements like, the TCFL, and Crosk as they havent gotten alot of attention recently, besides the recent peacekeeper arc and planned stuff for TCFL. Crosk specifically interests me because of its potential in expanding lore for spacecraft and aircraft in universe, as well as it feeling neglected when compared to other planets in the coalition page, and going forward into NBT can be much more developed on and utilised. Stuff on the Lii'draa is also pretty appealing to me as i think they are a unique antagonistic faction with some real alien horror potential regarding their black kois and hive mind.

4. I know i have gone on record as saying i would sell my soul for a feathered unathi sub species, but thinking it through i have come to the opinion that to justify a subspecies and the effort required to add it, the subspecies in question would have to bring something brand new and unique to the table. With most ideas for sub species regarding unathi, there is not alot that can really be done that isnt either already done by another species, or has enough substance in terms of lore and abilities/distinguishing features.

Unathi are already a very varied species when it comes to physical features, most suggested additions regarding feathers and the like are better included with face/hair styles, and body markings. In lieu of actual subspecies, having more lore outlining how Unathi nations pre contact and areas of Moghes are more likely to have Unathi bearing certain features.

if a subspecies was to be added though, narratively it would be easiest to go a route similar with the dionae team, with lore additions accompanying the subspecies to intergrate them into the lore. I say this as, the Unathi do not have the resources and relations to genetically engineer a subspecies like the vaurca can, and without saying that an entire subspecies lived in isolation until recently, there is not alot if any good justification to introduce a unathi subspecies via a lore arc.

I like to think im very reasonable, if someone disagrees i want to discuss it. Discussions about disagreements can be very helpful when developing lore in my opinion, you can learn alot as well as be given helpful suggestions and criticism. I also would like to try and come to an agreement, or middle ground.

This was a tough choice, but I ultimately went with Triogenix. It basically came down to your writing style and your views on the lore and which was my preference. I think you'd be a fine candidate in the future, so do not be disparaged.

Thanks again for applying and all the effort you put into the application!