Serveris6's Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account:Serveris6

Character Name(s):Syrus Seto, Kr'see Veeris, Praetorian, Merrik, Fate, Bolts, Keaton Fullbright, Janus Seto, Misilithais Uaekis, Bluespace Technician #439

AI Name(s):MerrikOS

Preferred means of contact: Steam, Skype, Email, Server contact (in that order of preference, this can be found in the staff contact repository currently.)

Timezone:Eastern Standard Time, US

When are you on Aurora?: Usually evenings; whenever I don't have class or school. This usually falls between 1600-0600 on weekdays, while being utterly unpredictable on weekends.

Experience Former D2K5 Game Admin

Aurora server Developer

How long have you played SS13?:Five years, turn this May.

How long have you played on Aurora:Nearly a year. I joined the community early/mid August of 2014.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?:I have a thorough knowledge of the game interface, as well as a relatively solid knowledge of the code and mechanics that cause it to operate.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: Yes. I am a former administrator of the D2K5 server.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:No.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I play SS13 as a means of sharpening my coding skills, and to unwind after long nights/days of work and school. I come here to have a good time, and have grown quite attached to the game the past couple years.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I play on Aurora because I love the community. I believe the staff team to be very capable. Out of the dozen servers I've called home over my time on SS13, I can safely say that Aurora is the one I've grown closest to. I take great pleasure in contributing to, interacting, and role playing with the community.

What do moderators do?: Moderators are expected to uphold server policies, serving the community as enforcers. It is their duty to uphold ideals laid out by the community and administration.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To become an Aurora moderator is to become a representative of the policy enforcement side of staff operations. Unlike coding, nearly every action I take will be of direct interaction with a community member, or a potentially new player.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I feel I can contribute more to the community than I currently am. As a coder, most of my work is carried out away from the server, with the only meaningful interaction with the community being through the suggestions sub forum or discussing custom items in private mediums. I would like to more directly contribute to the community by way of representing it as a moderator.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:I am capable of analyzing a situation before acting. Wherever possible, I prefer to take a moment, get the details of a situation together, adapt accordingly, and then take the issue on with a planned approach. I take pride in helping people understand why something works the way it does, and would very much enjoy the opportunity to help clear up details on individuals in need of guidance or support.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I like to think that I am capable of maintaining a calm demeanor in an out of character perspective. During my time on D2K5, I dealt with an atypical, 'goonstation atmosphere' on a regular basis. Insults were very common, and a near limitless patience was nurtured as a result of my work there.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

As it stands, I am currently a server coder. Should this application pass through, and I become a server moderator, I will continue my development work in addition to moderator duties.

I am also fluent in French and English, due to my using both on a regular basis. Not sure what use this is in a world with Google Translate, but I feel it is still a skill set worth noting.

As of the date this was published, I am currently computer less. I'm expecting one by Monday at the latest.

Edited by Guest
To become an Aurora moderator is to become a representative of the policy enforcement side of staff operations. Unlike coding, nearly every action I take will be of direct interaction with a community member, or a potentially new player.

This is true, however you mustn't let that stop you from being yourself. What the server needs is people with a strong drive and opinions, not soulless rule-spitting machines. But I've only heard good from you, so I have high hopes that you'd do a great job at whatever enterprise you decide to undertake.

If you do want to get involved more with the community, then I sincerely hope you get a trial and find something you like. It can be tons of fun when you really get into it.

Bonne chance!

What the server needs is people with a strong drive and opinions, not soulless rule-spitting machines.

As a soulless rule-spitting machine, I disaprove.

But, on topic, if you become a moderator, you'll be a developer+moderator+duty_officer, which is a frankly remarkable workload for the server, do you think you can manage that all?

if you become a moderator, you'll be a developer+moderator+duty_officer, which is a frankly remarkable workload for the server, do you think you can manage that all?

Duty Officers were created to be separate from the administration so any investigation is viewed from an IC standpoint.

The upon getting a Mod flag you'll loose the DutyOfficer one.

What the server needs is people with a strong drive and opinions, not soulless rule-spitting machines.

As a soulless rule-spitting machine, I disaprove.

But, on topic, if you become a moderator, you'll be a developer+moderator+duty_officer, which is a frankly remarkable workload for the server, do you think you can manage that all?

I've already spoken with the appropriate powers concerning this. I've accepted the fact that I will most likely need to resign from the duty officer corps, and am willing to follow through with this if requested, presuming a successful trial is passed, and the application is approved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...