On Racism in Space

We met these cat people like 50 years ago and we're ready to fuck them and integrate them fully. So what has caused this seemingly Impossible SJW love of Xenos?

Furries and scalies, is the reason.

On a more serious note, it would be kinda cool to see more characters being racist. Dunno how well it'd be played, though.

Seeing as how being racist is a valid reason to be fired/have your character completely removed, we might need to make some changes in our IC report policy if we cant more speciesm to happen...

Thing is, racism exists to this day and people don't get fired for it. You just have to be more subtle than constantly asserting your hate for species X verbally, because that's not really how racism works unless you're an extremist. You gotta have a little faith in people that they understand the nuances you're playing if you want to do something like this, or all you end up with is a bad joke character that's nothing but a caricature of a concept; in this case being "that guy that hates xenos".

Seeing as how being racist is a valid reason to be fired/have your character completely removed, we might need to make some changes in our IC report policy if we cant more speciesm to happen...

Thing is, racism exists to this day and people don't get fired for it. You just have to be more subtle than constantly asserting your hate for species X verbally, because that's not really how racism works unless you're an extremist. You gotta have a little faith in people that they understand the nuances you're playing if you want to do something like this, or all you end up with is a bad joke character that's nothing but a caricature of a concept; in this case being "that guy that hates xenos".

So me,

The "Let's Get Some Interesting Roleplay Opportunities in Here" me says we should have a bit more racism.

On a more serious note, it would be kinda cool to see more characters being racist. Dunno how well it'd be played, though.

Sorry to be so blunt, so quickly, but if you want this to happen then do it. Don't sit back and wait for others. Step out of what may or may not be your comfort zone and give it a try.

It has to be organic opposed to implored. Otherwise it'll seem forced.

Though my characters do not share the same views as me, my OOC opinion would be humanity at this point in time wouldn't have much prejudice. To me, unifying a planet and a solar system to then go forth to colonize many systems would require racism and xenophobia to be given the boot. Unless we can say one culture absorbed all other cultures and their land, to then further their own ideology into space, then at that point we can probably say racism would be prevalent.

But apart from that, reading from a lore perspective, the current level of racism on the station is apt. Humanity and the Skrell formed an alliance to benefit each other if my understanding is right, and without that unification of species I don't think much would have been done to benefit humanity. Then we have Tajaran, who are excluded from Captain roles while only the two unified species are allowed to take the reigns. IPCs aren't allowed to be in a Head Position because people see them more as machine than people. Unathi are basically seen as cheap muscle and aren't given much opportunity to be academic. The Vaurca will probably be cheap labour. I mean the Diona seem intelligent to some degree with deep thought put into their actions, so I can see why they'd get more academic roles.

If anything, that level of inequality of opportunity is already prejudice you'd expect from an inter species workplace. Remember the station is there to benefit Nanotrasen and to make them money, so most of the people there are expected to put their views aside and work towards NT's goals.

Racism off station? Well, with my Little Adhomai creation. Human purists attack and raid the outlying businesses of the district, wanting the Tajaran community removed away from their area. There's also racism between Tajara, those who hate the Blood Rulers (The brightly colored cats) for what happened in the past. I'm pretty sure there's lots of racism off station, but within the station, I'd think people wouldn't be preaching against the xenos when they're expected to be professional on the expensive research station.

But that's how I believe racism is apparent, lore wise.

It has to be organic opposed to implored. Otherwise it'll seem forced.

Though my characters do not share the same views as me, my OOC opinion would be humanity at this point in time wouldn't have much prejudice. To me, unifying a planet and a solar system to then go forth to colonize many systems would require racism and xenophobia to be given the boot. Unless we can say one culture absorbed all other cultures and their land, to then further their own ideology into space, then at that point we can probably say racism would be prevalent.

But apart from that, reading from a lore perspective, the current level of racism on the station is apt. Humanity and the Skrell formed an alliance to benefit each other if my understanding is right, and without that unification of species I don't think much would have been done to benefit humanity. Then we have Tajaran, who are excluded from Captain roles while only the two unified species are allowed to take the reigns. IPCs aren't allowed to be in a Head Position because people see them more as machine than people. Unathi are basically seen as cheap muscle and aren't given much opportunity to be academic. The Vaurca will probably be cheap labour. I mean the Diona seem intelligent to some degree with deep thought put into their actions, so I can see why they'd get more academic roles.

If anything, that level of inequality of opportunity is already prejudice you'd expect from an inter species workplace. Remember the station is there to benefit Nanotrasen and to make them money, so most of the people there are expected to put their views aside and work towards NT's goals.

Racism off station? Well, with my Little Adhomai creation. Human purists attack and raid the outlying businesses of the district, wanting the Tajaran community removed away from their area. There's also racism between Tajara, those who hate the Blood Rulers (The brightly colored cats) for what happened in the past. I'm pretty sure there's lots of racism off station, but within the station, I'd think people wouldn't be preaching against the xenos when they're expected to be professional on the expensive research station.

But that's how I believe racism is apparent, lore wise.

Personally I like to base it on Racial Tension in the 1900's USA. And your view on the scarpping of Racism lacks precedence and plausibility no offence, for example, The United states, founded as an Immigrant nation mean't for everyone for Freedom and shit, is often rated as one of the most racist places on Earth, despite having one of the largest populations of Foreign descent. Yes maybe Human Racism would eliminated, however we Humans love to hate, and considering the Tajarran and Unathi's in superiority it is a sheer wonder why Humanity has not Enslaved them or made them into Client states. Sure we can bring up the alliance of the Skrell, but we must remmeber in any case the original alliance was for pragmatics.

I think it needs to be done in a very subtle way. Carton, for example, is racist against most Unathai after one cut off his hand during a canon event. He never mentions it (( Only 3 people, maybe 5 max)) know he has any hate for them. But small things show it:

If a lizard he never met before, or one he doesn't care for is involved in a crime. He will instantly take the side of the other party less there is enough evidence to prove the lizard is innocent.

He will not respond to calls done by them, and will delegate them to cadets if he is the only officer.

He is blunt and slightly ruder to them, but never uses racial insults.

That being said, he doesn't hate them all. Once he gets to know one or two and they show they aren't the same as the slaver that cut off his hand, he treats them just like any other. But otherwise he is kind of a dick. I think small little things that no one notices but if they thought about it would be cool.

You cannot force a character to act a certain way because we need more of it.

You can only bring up the topic and let people make the decision if they agree or not.

I think one very important thing we have to draw from that, if we're looking to understand why the Aurora's environment is the way it is, is that people will roleplay what they want to roleplay.

Realistically, like in most workplaces (save for a few exceptions), you'd have a pretty diverse age cast ranging from young interns or newcomers, to middle-aged people, to older, experienced workers, all in relatively equal proportions. Yet the Aurora is 60-70% young people, because our playerbase is mostly teenagers and young adults, and these are the characters we relate the most to.

For the same reason, it's difficult to relate to racism, especially when all of the alien races haven't been presented as doing anything bad for humanity, lore-wise. One way to push for racism would be for the lore team to present sensible and semi-believable anti-xeno propaganda, but save for that, it's very obvious that if your character is being racist, they're a dick.

And some people roleplay dickish characters for fun, to add color to the world, or for the sake of balance/conflict generation. (Which I find really admirable.) But right now, it's sort of difficult if not unappealing to be racist, and the only reason why people would roleplay a racist is for the sake of diversity, or to stay true to realistic human behaviors. Which is not the main priority of most players on this server (and that's okay!)

Just a short blurb on why racism isn't exactly how we would realistically expect it to be.

As someone who plays a Tajaran that runs the bar quite often. You usually get called a cat or other apparent racial slurs.

I recall one incident, of a chemist Miko was getting along with. The chemist decided to get friendly with a female scientist which resulted in them going on a date of sorts. But when the chemist found out that the girl once fancied Miko, he dumped her and told Miko that he didn't want to get with some cat-fucker.

I like to think racism exists very much so on the station.

It is a sheer wonder why Humanity has not Enslaved them or made them into Client states.

I've always personally believed that uh, a goodly number of human groups do take slaves of all species. It is just that as a whole the Sol Alliance is anti-slavery/anti-piracy, and Nanotrasen is Sol Alliance (Or at least pays lip service to them.)

Considering the difference in populations and the massive technology gulf however, I agree that it is strange that the People's republic of Ahdomai and Moghes haven't been made into client states of the Alliance. It's probably just the case that the Alliance isn't a unified government, but rather a well... alliance of multiple worlds/colonies who individually are not strong enough to invade either world with enough firepower to be decisive. Plus one must take into account the inevitible infighting and bickering within the alliance itself... as well as efforts to improve infrastructure and population on the outer human colonies.

It's very probable that unless the Tajara or Unathi as a group sought to be made members of the Alliance, the Alliance simply doesn't see the point.

I do have characters that have racist beliefs/tendencies, but it tends to be rather subtle, and in some cases, completely overthrown by how another character acts. Miraj and Hazeri, for an example. Miraj has a fear of unathi, thinking they're all blood thirsty killers. Then comes Hazeri, who saves her life after she jumps into disposals to hide, not thinking clearly, and gets flushed. She never fully warmed up to him, but she stopped running and hiding from him.

I do have to ask what exactly is it you're expecting to see regarding racism. Are you wanting less subtle, but still subtle hinting at racism, such as a sneer here and there, a vague comment that can be taken offensively? Or are you looking for outright racial slurs being spouted off, obvious unfairness regarding race by heads of staff/security, etc etc?

I do have characters that have racist beliefs/tendencies, but it tends to be rather subtle, and in some cases, completely overthrown by how another character acts. Miraj and Hazeri, for an example. Miraj has a fear of unathi, thinking they're all blood thirsty killers. Then comes Hazeri, who saves her life after she jumps into disposals to hide, not thinking clearly, and gets flushed. She never fully warmed up to him, but she stopped running and hiding from him.

I do have to ask what exactly is it you're expecting to see regarding racism. Are you wanting less subtle, but still subtle hinting at racism, such as a sneer here and there, a vague comment that can be taken offensively? Or are you looking for outright racial slurs being spouted off, obvious unfairness regarding race by heads of staff/security, etc etc?

Me? Personally a little of all of them, Humans are diverse and all different in regards to racism, I would consider most people in this world to be subtle racist whom propagate Stereotypes and groans when said group conforms to this. Of course a racial slur now and again does happen real life, as does Racisl profiling by police, so essentially I just would LIKE to see more indifference to racism and not just standard lynch the racist

In that regard I can respect that. Though it's the nature of the younger players to go about lynching, generalising perhaps but it does seem that way. Though at the same time, racism shouldn't affect productivity or cause harassment to a fellow employee. To deny services because of prejudice or to harass a colleague is a big no no in the workplace.

Haven't read the thread but I haven't integrated racism in my characters simply because it doesn't occur to me. Racial identity is pointless to me so I don't even think about it. You're right though, we need some more racists. One thing in particular that I'd like to see is racial tension still existing between different colors of humans. That's basically non existent save for griefers.

I do however, see quite a bit of prejudice toward synthetics. Some of it is akin to white supremacists, others not. Honestly my view on why there isn't so much prejudice against them is rather Fruedian in nature. This is mainly because I see a decent amount of prejudice against synthetics, but I think its because they can be sexualized.

In that regard I can respect that. Though it's the nature of the younger players to go about lynching, generalising perhaps but it does seem that way. Though at the same time, racism shouldn't affect productivity or cause harassment to a fellow employee. To deny services because of prejudice or to harass a colleague is a big no no in the workplace.

Of course I'm not saying we should refuse to serve Xenos or something, however, A security officer using Assault with a deadly weapon instead of Assault on an Unathi or Tajarra due to claws is certainly arguable.