Gender Restricted Hair

Guest Menown

Again, people comparing things that aren't possible biologically with things that are. You won't find naturally blue/pink Tajara. You can find them with long hair.

The hair doesn't have to be feminine, for God's sake. The sprites can represent anything. It's a matter of using your flavor text to paint a better picture on what people are looking at.

As for the rebellious teenager comment, is it entirely impossible for somebody to just want to have long hair? Maybe the character likes their hair, and tries to take care of it? How is it so outlandish that we need a lore justification for this, that it's being lumped together with neon fucking catbeasts?

Nah, the example of rainbow Tajarans wasn't a point on biology. I was just attempting to illustrate the kind of stuff players will do with Tajarans. Rai came covered in blue "body paint" a while ago, and we have a sometimes-pink Tajaran (through genetics) to this day. I'm also really not surprised, because, furries and their multicolored foxes.

The problem with rebellious Tajarans, as I've stated, is that they would be shunned at large, realistically. However, on the station, I highly, highly doubt that any would give a damn, given the pack (kek) mentality that Tajarans have been displaying as of late, as well as many players' complete reluctance to discriminate on "moral" characters (and most Tajarans I've seen are, surprisingly, very moral. At least among themselves.)

At this point, the next argument is on the utility of the lore, especially if it forces people into a playstyle that they don't like. But should we change Tajaran lore to make it furpile-land? Some might argue that yes, but I hope you can see why I'd personally be opposed to that.

Thanks though, Frances. You made it a lot easier for me to understand what the exact issue is.
No problem, always glad to help!

At this point, the next argument is on the utility of the lore, especially if it forces people into a playstyle that they don't like. But should we change Tajaran lore to make it furpile-land? Some might argue that yes, but I hope you can see why I'd personally be opposed to that.

There's reasonable and there's unreasonable. Reasonable would be a few quirks here and there, and a generally color palette of different characters to make a game that's interesting and fun to RP in. Nobody is here to solely provide for furry players or specifically please them, but rather anyone that might choose to play a Tajaran. Unreasonable would be giving into all that pressure and giving them the fur-love they so desperately want and in the process destroy the integrity of the race. I don't encourage any change of the lore, especially in cases of people not following said lore in comparison to there being an issue in the lore itself. What I'm just trying to reach is that I think there can be a lore-following Tajaran who just so happens to be male and have long hair. "Can be" being the big thing there. There can't be a character who's so out of the blue (Sometimes literally) and act so against what is written and get away with it just fine.

Basically, if the problem is the player base, I'd deal with the player base and those who go against the lore rather than limiting options that are viable within the means of the lore.

I'd actually like to see a slightly different Tajaran from the usual who would get shunned by most of the station's Tajaran population. I do think they'd have an interesting character and some good roleplay.

Except I have found Tajarans who had natural blue and pink fur. It's always hilarious.

Except the question is if it's feasible within lore permissions, and if it is, why wouldn't people go out of their way to shun this person? Especially if this is the society that it's been made out to be where irregular things are shunned. It's the equivalent to watching a person with blue skin walk by you, and that being commonplace. Unless you live near the blue man group, you'd face a similar problem. Wouldn't people with that natural fur color have it dyed as to not have to face society's judgement?

It just feels like such a...Double edged argument. Know what I mean?

But whether it's consistent and acceptable for the race is ultimately up to its overseer, who is currently Sue.

Might be slightly out of place to ask, but please don't try to say things like this. It makes it seem like there's an overwhelming sense of futility in making suggestions like this and that continuing discussion on the subject is pointless on the grounds that what is said doesn't matter. It's discouraging to creative thinking and discussion, I feel.

I realize what you're trying to say, being that it's up to Sue, but I feel the misunderstanding is very very real.

Allow me to just. It's hair. How is using longer than normal hair in any way, shape or form, comparable to having pink fur as a Tajaran, or wearing a pink afro as an Unathi? The comparisons seem very hyperbolic, and off-key. Is a few Tajarans having long hair (I don't think the Tajaran hairstyles are even that long, so you won't have men with floor length braids) really that awful of an idea, and that damaging to their identity as a species?

Remove the restrictions.

Don't be surprised if male cats with female hairstyles are ridiculed and made fun of. IC issue.

And this is fine. In fact, if this happens, it'll be good for roleplay, as then the identity of the species is enforced through interact, and npt arbitrary mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who recently read our existing wiki on Tajara and got his whitelist accepted, I'd like to point out something.

https://gyazo.com/2e392e57a3cb6f5c049943b3458ceec5

The first couple of sentences here are the only in the entire page that I see dictating anything about male/female roles... And it does NOT support gender bias in any fashion. In fact it very explicitly states the opposite. I've also seen people arguing the homosexuality bit, but that's for another thread I think. I just want our lore and our wiki to match so I know what shitstorm I'm walking into. If Taj are racially gender biased, make it say so. Our wiki is a quotable source of information and is, sadly, not up to par with what we need.