Please remove the windows from perma

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

As it stands, ~70% of the time we put people in perma, the place is breached. Since the nature of the room is to toss people in (usually griefers or super violent, inherently unstable individuals) and marginally forget about them until something bad happens in there, it's very easy for people to get away with it. Locking them in isolation is a solution, but it's kind of a dickish thing to do.

To counter arguments that it would make it harder to break out... There's currently no way to break out of perma if you're locked in there by breaking the window that doesn't end in suicide. The ONLY way this could work is if you could EVA without a hardsuit as a changeling, or something physically broke in from space and gave you an EVA suit. But as it stands, those rarely happen and perma is just a place that atmos techs enjoy because they can practice their breach fixing skills as they dodge the bodies of perma'd griefers floating around. If there was - not even reinforced - a wall there, you could still organize a break-out, but it would have to involve going up through the station, or having actual tools to dismantle the wall.

If there absolutely HAS to be windows there to give prisoners a view, there has to at least be a second line of defense there. Electrify the grille and have the glass be "shatter proof" in that it only breaks into glass sheets or nothingness; have the stools "bolted" to the ground, or don't let reinforced glass and steel grilles be broken by a shard of glass.

Perma's grilles aren't electrified already?

On a general note, it's very difficult to balance the requirements of perma and make it look reasonable. Personally, I agree with you - perma is a dumping ground for people who need to be removed from the round ICly - but it doesn't make sense to design it like that. So it has to look reasonable, while also being possible to escape, but neither to the extent that people want to go there or Security doesn't want to use it. It's a tough thing to balance.

The good news is that we can take this into consideration while designing the new map. Indeed, I've made a note in our design documents based on this. So, if there are windows in perma (there almost certainly will be) they'll be rather less vulnerable than the current ones. However, it's still going to be possible to breach the area. Short of a panic button that collapses blast doors all around perma that's always going to be an issue.

Replace perma with iso cubes. Judge Dredd style.

Well, we already have the lawgiver and Dredd's helmet in game, so...

On a serious note, I'd suggest putting less windows in perma. If anything, it'd help lessen the potential for meteors to smash them, and you only need one to break out/in through.

I say remove windows altogether. Putting exterior windows on a space station is just begging for something bad to happen.

On a more serious note, why not make some kind of reinforced space glass for perma. Comes with a sensor that sets off an alarm if it gets smashed so sec can respond.

Perma's grilles aren't electrified already?

Glass is not conductive to electricity, gg, win.

I just wat to say, glass is not conductive, but wooden floor tiles are >_>

Guest Marlon Phoenix
I dunno...I mean, I hate it when people breach perma just because...and meteors make it a pain...But, I like occasional chaos there.

Maybe make it some kind of reinforced wall with transparency?

I agree with this. We already have nanopaste and shield generators - nanobots that form transparent (but strong) walls wouldn't be too much of a stretch. You could say that it's super expensive to make, so they just use it in permabrig.

Another possibility was used on Exodus - Exile. You're given an implant and put through a gateway that locked you onto this mining colony, where you have to mine and avoid the wild jaguars.

I dunno...I mean, I hate it when people breach perma just because...and meteors make it a pain...But, I like occasional chaos there.

Maybe make it some kind of reinforced wall with transparency?

I agree with this. We already have nanopaste and shield generators - nanobots that form transparent (but strong) walls wouldn't be too much of a stretch. You could say that it's super expensive to make, so they just use it in permabrig.

Another possibility was used on Exodus - Exile. You're given an implant and put through a gateway that locked you onto this mining colony, where you have to mine and avoid the wild jaguars.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

There are two kind of people who breach the windows in perma.

Griefers/chucklefucks, who we can easily ban for complete failure to RP a sense of self-preservation, and people organizing legitimate prison breaks.

Either way, I don't see a need to remove the windows from perma.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
There are two kind of people who breach the windows in perma.

Griefers/chucklefucks, who we can easily ban for complete failure to RP a sense of self-preservation, and people organizing legitimate prison breaks.

Either way, I don't see a need to remove the windows from perma.

Because having the station repeatedly breached in the only place we can dump dangerous individuals while still having to care about their wellbeing is way too much trouble. If we can dump them into Exile, at least their griefing would just harm a place no one cares about.

• 2 weeks later...

Denied, there is a way to break out of perma if you know what you are doing. The virus that hit the brig also gives people a chance.

The mappers are also working on another project that would make the changes very temporary.