Fancy smoking!

Cigarette Holder

Hate those nicotine stains on your fingers?

Your Cigarettes gone unfiltered again?

You want a flashy dresspiece for your event tonight?

Look no further.. Introducing the Mrs.Daisy brand Cigarette holder!

Cigarette Holder Photo (Credit to RRRR)

http://imgur.com/a/dldJL

Could be the description? Open to ideas.

An elegant wooden cigarette holder that was crafted with an Adaptawood brand product so it will fit any Cigarette size.. Excluding cigars of course.. Only heathens smoke those.

==============================================================================================================================

==============================================================================================================================

Cigarette Case

Are your cigarettes getting crushed?

Do you need an alternative way to store them?

Do you want that alternative way to not look so drab its almost fashion homicide?

If so.. Introducing the Mrs.Daisy brand Cigarette Case!

Cigarette Case Photo

http://imgur.com/a/sNcez

Could be the description? Open to ideas

An ebony painted steel case with an elastic strap embodied with a beautiful golden cross there is a silver knob that can be used to open the case.

What I am suggesting is that we add a cigarette case and a cigarette holder.. Frankly because there are some "Fancy" characters aboard the station and them carrying around a packet ruins the immersion in my opinion.. I'm open to re-coloring RRRR's Cigarette Holder if people want different colors and my own cigarette case.. Suggestions would be appreciated..

DMI's

• 3 months later...

I think smoking is overused as a gimmick on the station already, so I am against this. There's nothing particularly fancy about burning literally poisonous dried leaves that slowy kill you in exchange for a mild sense of relaxation. People smoke because they can't handle stress, or because they were smoking back in a time period when no one knew better, or because their peers pressured them to do it. Since no one on the station is a teenager, I think we can write off the last one, and this is several centuries after people became aware cigarettes kill you.

It doesn't need to be further glorified by making fancy boxes a thing. Even now, cigars are difficult to obtain on-station, and that should stay that way.

However, I don't super have a problem with them showing up in hydroponics. If you want to grow your own disgusting cancer plant and smoke it in a piece of shitty cheap rolled paper, go ahead. Maybe you can even pretend it's a 'dank ass joint' while you're doing it and achieve meme dream transcendence, further making the quality of the server drop.

Fun fact, in 2005 an oxidative resistant version of alpha-1-antitrypsin was found which would stop proteases from breaking down lung tissue (S.B.Primrose, Principles of Gene Manipulation & Genomics). So a gene therapy that would stop chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and emphysema isn't far off (from being publically available, cough cough). Cuba has lung cancer vaccines under way and with the likes a vaping (#vapelife) there's no need for it to be that dangerous. We're adapting to overcome the harm cause the tobacco industry invests in biotechnology and genetic engineering, they have plenty of medical doctors and deep pockets.

Lungs are just like air stomachs for gases anyway, smoking ain't that bad. Here there's ryetalyn for genetic damage and I'm assuming cancer as well and the likes of dylovene for toxin damage with a COPD vaccine, it'll have been a few hundred years since smoking became safe.

On the subject of fancy smoking, I'd say we need those red packets of Robust cigarettes instead of those beige Dromedairy packs. Would be great if there was something to inject a cigarette before lighting to make a proper smoke cloud.

Alternatively, in the future, people have stopped smoking tobacco leaves for the most part because it's a known dangerous past-time, they've had several centuries to get over the perception that it is fashionable, and the entire existence of tobacco on the station is for the same reason all the PDAs and computers on the station used to look like they were from the late 80's: Because designers of the game were not very creative when they thought up what 'the future' would be like and/or just wanted to put them in as visual gags referencing the time period they existed in. I mean, seriously. One of the brands is called DromedaryCo, a clear Camel brand reference, and it's description includes the phrase 'Wouldn't a slow death be a nice change?'.

Cigarettes actually have no mechanical purpose and are 100% a roleplay flavor item. If you really want to get behind they idea that there have been advances in safer smoking, remove tobacco products from the game and replace them with similar items that are more in line with the current time period (i.e. the future), like vapor packs, rather than trying to justify regressive cultural stereotypes like that cigarette holders and cigars are still fashionable 200+ years in the future, when even now in 2017 the implications they largely have are that movie villains and and smug rich people smoke them to show off.

As an example, It's been barely over 100 years since the VIctorian era ended, and most people in 2017 would never wear a Victorian era outfit. They're stuffy and uncomfortable, and we haven't invented a way to make them less so, we just stopped using them because our perspectives changed.

"If I can't smoke then what can I do?" - Albert Einstein, a non-teenager from an older time period who actually knew the dangers of smoking and was warned constantly but still chose to smoke and was never pressured by his "peers". It wasn't even from stress that he and many smoked. Trying to reduce the will to smoke to such schoolhouse psychology is just naive at best.

It's an over-a-billion dollar industry with decades of investments in biotech, GMOs and health science. Smoking isn't gonna just disappear even 400 years from now just because it's "unfashionable", that's kinda like saying it's for tribals because ancient American Indians smoked and nobody goes about with feathers in their hair and loin clothes. I think smoking isn't some sort of clothing accessory but an abused vector to the bloodstream via lung physiology. It's aesthetics, tastes and smells will change sure but recreational smoking will never stop unless there was some neofascist health laws to totally ban it and seize all the tobacco industries land and assets, which is highly unlikely in a corporate future. With pollution and increasing CO2 levels as well, we're gonna adapt and be more robust to diverse atmospheric parameters, different aliens breathe different atmospheres. We are hardier creatures than you'd think, a pack of cigarettes won't kill ya anymore than greasy cheeseburgers but years of hundreds or thousands of packs will.

• Gem locked this topic