Genetics 2.0?

Lady Fowl

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/5786

Before you say "Genetics is a cancer that needs to stay gone" here me out on this

Genetics itself while terribly abused by people has potential for a gameplay element and tool for the medical and science field that is very much missed. However to combat the issues with it, and to get more restriction on how its used, I have come up with a compromise

1. Genetics has most powers removed or nerfed to the point powers are more harmful to you then useful

2. Genetics isnt added in as a job itself but can be allowed access to researcher's that have appropriate background or training and if the RD wish's for genetics to be used on a shift by shift basis

Thoughts?

There are several reasons why I don't like genetics.

1. It's not flexible code wise. The framework for genetics is very poor and limited.

2. It's not a good system in-game wise. People exploit it a lot but if you nerf it, people won't bother using it like virology.

3. Genetics consists of pressing a button and hoping that the number is less than or greater than 8. This is riveting gameplay.

4. Genetics on SS13 is more fantasy than real, and arguably a very memey role.

Virology is better in every way and has some of the best frameworks I've seen on the server. This should be the role that is meant to modify the state of a person. It's flexible, it's a good system, the means of getting a good virus is better gameplay than genetics, and virology is less of a meme of a role.

This is what I think should be done with genetics:

1. Non-appearance based features removed.

2. Genetics machines are moved to the cloning area.

I highly suggest scrapping you genetics project and just moving all the features to the virus2 framework.

Instead of Genetics 2 Electric Boogaloo, I'd say just give Medical the basic genetic appearance-copying/altering shit in the lab. The main thing that's been missing is protohuman alteration, which had very interesting and unusual medical applications in the past in regards to niche cloning and antag-play.

The powers weren't much more of a meme than shit Science can currently do, which somewhat fit considering Genetics had the unique position of being both Medical and Research, but I doubt anyone will miss them if they stay gone. Maybe just have some dumb powers like changing hair/eye colour on a whim, or being able to eat/breathe weird shit.

30 minutes ago, Carver said:

Instead of Genetics 2 Electric Boogaloo, I'd say just give Medical the basic genetic appearance-copying/altering shit in the lab. The main thing that's been missing is protohuman alteration, which had very interesting and unusual medical applications in the past in regards to niche cloning and antag-play.

The powers weren't much more of a meme than shit Science can currently do, which somewhat fit considering Genetics had the unique position of being both Medical and Research, but I doubt anyone will miss them if they stay gone. Maybe just have some dumb powers like changing hair/eye colour on a whim, or being able to eat/breathe weird shit.

I like the idea of it being cosmetic or low impact type things. Like for example you could modify a human to be able to ingest Vaurca energy drinks or something.

I agree with everything Burger said, and:

1. Nanotrasen doesn't seem particularly interested in researching genetics. Not to mention that a medical research station already exists - why bloat the already very multipurpose Aurora with genetics research as well? Virology, as I see it, exists on the rock because of the unique microorganisms that might exist on said rock (i.e. WHAT IF WE FIND A VIRUS THAT TURNS PEOPLE INTO PHORON?)

2. Genetics is incredibly gamey. Like with R&D, attempting to ICly make sense of "roll the right dice get superpowers" is next to impossible. If an Aurora scientist can give people superpowers in 15 minutes, I wonder why this is not reflected in the lore with eeeveryone having superpowers by now. So you come to the logical conclusion that it doesn't work ICly like it does mechanically, and this is... incredibly bad, considering we're on a HRP server, just like R&D is.

• Gem locked this topic