[Accepted] Wigglesworth Jones' IPC Application

BYOND Key:
Character Names: Samuel Wigglesworth, Everett Smith, Fulton Skaw, Charles Hepiner, Rick Prescott, Szymon Nowak, Edward Sholl, Ka'Akaix'Viez Zo'ra, Ka'Akaix'Sov C'thur.
Species you are applying to play: IPC.
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Not Applicable. 
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, I have.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I wanted more opportunities for characters. To elaborate further, I find IPCs interesting due to their mechanical aspect, being robots and all, and that can be conveyed will with having no emotions, due to being unfeeling soulless synthetics. While I don't play cyborgs or AIs all that often, disliking the mechanics of the former and having issues with crashing for the latter, I do enjoy roleplaying as them. IPCs are as a whole more "cold" and analytical, which I believe, like I said earlier, would provide some interesting character concepts. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Like I said before, IPCs are mechanical, generally unfeeling and emotionless unless programmed otherwise to mimic them (to a degree). There are two states an IPC can be in, owned, (fairly obviously) owned by another person, or more commonly a company/group. These are generally not held responsible for their actions, with responsibility transferred to their owner. The other state, free, means that the IPC "owns itself," so to speak, and are held accountable for their own actions. One of the main differences between humans and IPCs is that IPCs are rational, making decisions based on "cause and effect," and often act very predictably, in regards to personality and actions. IPCs tend to be much less selfless, putting self-preservation as generally one of their highest priorities, and generally attempt to mitigate harm done to them at all times. As well, IPCs feel no pain, allowing them to "go further" without the risk of going into shock from it.  IPCs speak different from humans, not using colloquialisms, abbreviations, and slang, unless programmed to do so. 

Character Name: Sailwell Synthetic Standard Model 9172 - SSIM 9172 if abbreviated. 
Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs.

As with most of Sailwell Communications' models, SSSM 9172 was created on a budget, meant to be cheap, affordable, and as the name implies, easy to mass produce, due to lacking sapience, only being able to say phrases that have been inserted into its small database, and unable to do anything too advanced, due to outsourced programming. Intended to be "quality on a budget," even affordable for upper-middle class families, or those straddling the line, due to the price being relatively low compared to other IPCs. 

Normally found on lower-end stations and ships, Sailwell Communications has had a relatively lucky break, being able to lease out a small batch of SCMPS models to work on various NanoTrasen properties as manual labor. 9172, due to being recently produced, has been sent over to the NSS Aurora, while the various Sailwell Communication products are being evaluated for further dealings.

What do you like about this character?

It's simple, as it's nonsapient, only knowing the various lines that have been programmed into it, and unable to do anything too specialized for the same reason. I've had this character concept in my mind for a while now, and decided it'd be an alright time to try out for it.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

As per the norm, 7 out of 10. Not awful, but not the greatest it could be. I always have room for improvement, after all. 

Notes: 

Edited by kyres1
whoops messed up the edit reason

Hello, borg main here!

I have a few questions for you my dude.

Firstly: What kind of role would this synthetic take on? Im assuming its gonna be limited to cargo/mining, or perhaps a lesser type of engineer only capable of carrying out the most menial tasks due to its lack of sapience. Or did you have other plans in mind?

Secondly: How would said bot function its department? Seeing its unable to think for itself, only driven by hardwired directives, how will it respond to people and orders? Will it listen and comply with any orders from anyone, non-crew, workers, command and hostile entities alike?

This one kinda ties in aswell, but to what lengths would it go for self-preservation?

And lastly one for you, a bit important to me atleast: You say you dont play stationbounds that often, which is a real shame as its free soulless robot experience. Why is this?

Also, you should know that taking a dive into the deep end of synthetic play with the barebones of functionality and speech patterns isnt the easiest thing to do. Do you think you have it in you to keep your absolute cool when people are raining hell down upon your cold synthetic shell in the form of insults and possible physical abuse for playing such a basic bot?

Currently, I'm leaning towards "low-end engineering role," as I've been meaning to play more in engineering. However, cargo/mining is also fine, or even assistant, if necessary. 

The IPC logs each order it is given, doing highest priority orders first, then moving down the hierarchy. As well, orders from non-employed personnel are ignored, unless, of course, it is told NOT to ignore them. Assuming it is working in engineering, it goes:  misc/civilian < Service/Cargo/Research (priority depends on relative time order was given, older ones given more importance) < Medical/Security < Engineering < Command (excluding the CE and Captain)<Chief Engineer<Captain<Any higher ranking authority.

In regards to self-preservation, the IPC attempts to determine the relative chance of heavy damage, and how high the priority of the order. For example, an order from a higher "ranking" person would have a higher threshold before the chance of heavy damage exceeds it, voiding the order. If the chance of high damage is higher than around 25-35 percent (haven't decided specifically how much yet,) the order is deemed NULL. However, if the order is from a low-priority "rank," I.E. an assistant, the "damage threshold" is much lower before being voided, most likely ranging from 2-5 percent.

As for why I don't play stationbounds that often. When talking about the cyborgs, I dislike the mechanics and how they're played, and I find it kind of "clunky." In regards to AIs, I've always had problems playing them, often crashing and having to reload, which isn't a very fun experience.

And yes, I believe I can most likely deal with insults and abuse. It's a game, after all, most people probably don't loathe synthetics. I'm not a soulless robot I think and know how to separate this from reality. I have no need to take it personal. 

Edited by Wigglesworth Jones

Taking this app seeing as it's been sitting for nearly a month. Hi. The questions are certainly acceptable, and any concerns I had regarding your character's backstory were quickly remedied in discord.

On top of that, the feedback's good and the response to that feedback is better. Application accepted!

• kyres1 locked this topic