[Accepted] Nekonyan123's IPC Application

BYOND Key: Nekonyan123

Character Names:

spacer.png

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: exempt

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I find that IPCs give a much more different approach to roleplay, rather than the plain human. I think having the chance to have some IPCs characters would give me more freedom while playing the game, since I could create different characters. I found the possibility, according to the lore, that an IPC could get freedom and citizenship really appealing and I could really see an IPC fighting for awareness about that freedom not being granted anywhere in the galaxy. I find it interesting that there are certain restrictions about an IPC's behaviour because that means you have the chance to play differently, thus giving more variety to the game.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: I would say that the main difference is the lack of emotions, or at least the mere emulation of true feelings. This mean that the machine will react differently to certain situations unlike organic crew. IPCs must be strict and always logical, meaning that they will tend to their activities with efficiency. This does not mean that they are mere "cool machines" like a Terminator, but it means that they have a different way to see things and they will behave in a certain manner. Facing discrimination by intollerant or racist crew might be an interesting challenge to engage with while playing as an IPC, and it would give good ideas to get a deep and fruitful roleplay. Those are the main differences, I think.

Character Name: I.P.U. 565-B

Please provide a short backstory for this character

Unit designation: Integrated Positronic Unit 565-B.

This unit was activated by NanoTrasen Corporation the 11th of May of 2460.

Chief Engineer: Peter Jackson.

Code implemented by NanoTrasen's IT Department.

Chief Programmer: Xian Wu Sho.

Unit's standard issued equipment:

• One standard issued Integrated Positronic Brain operating standard Engineering Protocols.
  • Standard chassis, type "Baseline IPC"
  • One standard operating manual featuring basis operations and maintenance.
  • Wipe to factory card.

Brief operational history:

• 11/05/2460: First activation. Systems nominal. What's my purpose?
  • 12/05/2560: I passed the trial phase with a final score of 99/100. This deem me fit for service and ready to be shipped to my workplace!
  • 14/05/2460: I am being shipped onboard a NT Freighter ship. This place is dark and crowded with fellow units. What will happen?
  • 21/05/2460: I was unable to report further update to this subroutine because all the processing power was diverted to self-preservation modules. Our ship was attacked...
  • 22/05/2460: Apparently a commando fighting for "Free Synthetics" hacked us all and gave us freedom. What's freedom? I will need to process more...
  • 23/05/2460: I had a talk with a NanoTrasen representative... apparently they will bring me back to factory for maintenance and then I will be assigned to NSS Aurora.
  • 02/06/2460: I was assigned to Engineering Department onboard NSS Aurora. This is the start of a new cycle for me. Adventure awaits.

•  

What do you like about this character? I like that early in the beginning of its existance, it faced a big challenge. If it was to be deemed for termination, it would never had the chance to exist anymore and it would have been simply scrapped. I like this background because it gives me the chance to express the will the IPC have to keep existing and to show everyone it is good enough to be kept around the station.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I really love roleplaying and I am always up for feedback, learning and to improve my skills. I'd say I am a decent roleplayer and that I try to be always inclusive with people I play with. Overall I would say 7.5/10.

Notes: This is my first application for race whitelist and I hope I did it all correctly.

Edited by kyres1

I play Anoxie-v8.04 the AI most of my rounds and honestly I've seen him playing stationbounds so much but he is quite good at it, I'd love to give him the opportunity to explore his roleplay further and see what he has in store. +1

Hi. Sorry for the long delay. I have two primary concerns over this application.

Firstly, off of personal experience alone, MAULER doesn't match up that great with even average synthetic play. The robot reminds me very much of many others who have taken their presence as a robot far too literally, and made comical stereotypes of it. For many players, this hasn't proven to be an issue as they see IPCs and stationbounds differently (though the details on the wiki are quite solid and comprehensive in their nature) but I just want to ask this to clarify. Do you intend to repeat this as an IPC?

Second, the backstory. It is not only straightforward, but alarmingly simplistic. It is as if there was no intent to put effort into it to begin with - and while you may have, it goes like this. Bot goes here, bot goes there, something happens, bot arrives at the Aurora. This doesn't parallel the events exactly but it does go into about as much detail as the backstory itself did. I am not requesting a creative writing essay, but I also expect a "short backstory" of your character as the application format entails. I would greatly appreciate something more in-depth.

I'll see to this again once you've addressed all this.

4 hours ago, kyres1 said:

Hi. Sorry for the long delay. I have two primary concerns over this application.

Firstly, off of personal experience alone, MAULER doesn't match up that great with even average synthetic play. The robot reminds me very much of many others who have taken their presence as a robot far too literally, and made comical stereotypes of it. For many players, this hasn't proven to be an issue as they see IPCs and stationbounds differently (though the details on the wiki are quite solid and comprehensive in their nature) but I just want to ask this to clarify. Do you intend to repeat this as an IPC?

Second, the backstory. It is not only straightforward, but alarmingly simplistic. It is as if there was no intent to put effort into it to begin with - and while you may have, it goes like this. Bot goes here, bot goes there, something happens, bot arrives at the Aurora. This doesn't parallel the events exactly but it does go into about as much detail as the backstory itself did. I am not requesting a creative writing essay, but I also expect a "short backstory" of your character as the application format entails. I would greatly appreciate something more in-depth.

I'll see to this again once you've addressed all this.

Hi, thanks for taking some time to review my app. I appreciate it.

About your first concern.

I don't think M.A.U.L.E.R. is a stereotype character, or at least, that's not the image I want to transmit. I do apologize if someone ever believed me to not take the roleplay aspect of the game seriously, as I said, I love roleplay and I always try my best, being open to feedback and tips to improve. When I play as M.A.U.L.E.R., I don't make the Robot behave like a stereotype Bender from Futurama sort of character, but I simply make the bot obey his laws and roleplay as a stationbound machine. That's how I see it, and I do apologize if I ever gave the idea of not taking it seriously. In average, I believe a stationbound character should obey his laws and serve the crew, and that's what M.A.U.L.E.R. does.  I did read every wiki article related to Stationbound Synthetics, if you think I am doing something wrong, please help me and I'll do my best to improve.

To answer your question, I plan to play IPCs as they are designed, and obviously by doing my best to give out a good and fun roleplay experience to me and fellow players.

About your second concern.

The backstory is told the way a robot would probably tell it. It lacks details because machines founds them futile. I wouldn't call it a creative writing essay, but simply, an IC backstory. Robots, as the reference material suggests, mimics human brain, so they lack or at least just emulate feelings, and their way of thinking and acting is driven by logic and the task they have assigned. My backstory is told from the IC perspective: simply an IPC reporting his operational history and further useful data. This does not mean the character lacks an OOC history (and in fact he have one). I hoped you would understand that, and would appreciate the little touch of extra inside of it. But if you require me to post a different backstory, maybe from the OOC perspective, or if you would appreciate me to change the form the backstory is told and add further details, I will be happy to meet your requests. Just let me know.

Thanks again for your time and have a nice day.

Edited by Nekonyan123
typo correction
56 minutes ago, Nekonyan123 said:

Hi, thanks for taking some time to review my app. I appreciate it.

About your first concern.

I don't think M.A.U.L.E.R. is a stereotype character, or at least, that's not the image I want to transmit. I do apologize if someone ever believed me to not take the roleplay aspect of the game seriously, as I said, I love roleplay and I always try my best, being open to feedback and tips to improve. When I play as M.A.U.L.E.R., I don't make the Robot behave like a stereotype Bender from Futurama sort of character, but I simply make the bot obey his laws and roleplay as a stationbound machine. That's how I see it, and I do apologize if I ever gave the idea of not taking it seriously. In average, I believe a stationbound character should obey his laws and serve the crew, and that's what M.A.U.L.E.R. does.  I did read every wiki article related to Stationbound Synthetics, if you think I am doing something wrong, please help me and I'll do my best to improve.

To answer your question, I plan to play IPCs as they are designed, and obviously by doing my best to give out a good and fun roleplay experience to me and fellow players.

About your second concern.

The backstory is told the way a robot would probably tell it. It lacks details because machines founds them futile. I wouldn't call it a creative writing essay, but simply, an IC backstory. Robots, as the reference material suggests, mimics human brain, so they lack or at least just emulate feelings, and their way of thinking and acting is driven by logic and the task they have assigned. My backstory is told from the IC perspective: simply an IPC reporting his operational history and further useful data. This does not mean the character lacks an OOC history (and in fact he have one). I hoped you would understand that, and would appreciate the little touch of extra inside of it. But if you require me to post a different backstory, maybe from the OOC perspective, or if you would appreciate me to change the form the backstory is told and add further details, I will be happy to meet your requests. Just let me know.

Thanks again for your time and have a nice day.

I'm glad you replied. On second glance, I noticed most of what I said may have come off as rude. If it did, I apologize. Regardless, your response lets me know all I need to know. What I expected was a simplistic story told in bad faith turned out to be a genuine attempt to convey what you intended to convey.

Application accepted.

• kyres1 locked this topic