Staff Complaint - Skull132

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

BYOND Key: MarlonPhoenix

Staff BYOND Key: Skull132

Game ID: Discord.

Reason for complaint: Very crass and offensive comment.

Evidence/logs/etc:

Screenshot_20190930-151434_Discord.jpg?w

Additional remarks:

Garn said to make a complaint for this to be handled.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
Guest Marlon Phoenix

What do you think I am finding issue with? Do you see anything about what you said in this screenshot that would be offensive?

7 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

What do you think I am finding issue with? Do you see anything about what you said in this screenshot that would be offensive?

Considering the militancy with which certain members of the lore staff participated in the discussion under review, I simply want to make sure that the issue is with my final statement, and not with how I concluded the actual discussion.

It also wouldn't hurt to have a slightly more elaborate explanation of how you're offended. Would help with me understanding the issue, and all.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

The statement about Christ was offensive and crass. It offended myself and @Mofo1995 also felt it was uncalled for. Im asking that statements like it aren't made again.

This complaint isnt about the heatedness of other devs.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix

Since I've been pinged and was present for the conversation, I suppose I have to chime in.

Yes, I also found the comment about Jesus to be offensive. While any time in my life before a year ago I wouldn't have cared, my journey into the Catholic Church and consequent baptism have made me far more consciously aware of my faith and sensitive about it. On a daily basis I'm fighting my sins and trying to be a better Christian- and usually failing, almost always due to my weeaboo nature, but still trying. The statement, is of course, blasphemous. But this isn't a Catholic server. I felt that the previous statement- talking about Christ's love and forgiveness of a prostitute woman- in the context of discussing if we should have prostitution lore and combined with earlier comments about legalizing and unionizing sex work, to be heretical. Ever since my conversion, I find pretty much every blasphemous statement offensive, including the usage of the lord's name in cursing and in vain in general. But, it's not like we should do anything about it. The community is fundamentally secular in nature, and considering majority of life in general is secular and filled with many such cases of blasphemy and heresy, it doesn't really get under my skin even if I find it offensive. 

In short, yeah I definitely wasn't a fan of the statement or the statements before it, but I forgive everyone involved. Ultimately my job as loremaster isn't to make the server holier (though I pray for the server, it's community, and my lore team at every sunday mass) but to make it funner, and I don't think it would be good form to crack down on others for being insensitive of my faith. Especially with understanding the privilege I benefit from with belonging to the biggest, richest, most powerful church as opposed to smaller or more discriminated against faiths. That's just my part in the complaint though, I don't think anyone should be condemned on behalf of the offences I took, and I don't want people to tip toe about what they say around me for my sake. Especially because I already enjoy playful theology-based banter with people from other faiths within this community, so while I'm a hypocrite in many ways, I don't wanna be that guy who dishes it out but can't take it. 

10 hours ago, Mofo1995 said:

I felt that the previous statement- talking about Christ's love and forgiveness of a prostitute woman- in the context of discussing if we should have prostitution lore and combined with earlier comments about legalizing and unionizing sex work, to be heretical.

This is a neat pick.

Anyways, I cannot claim such reason behind my actions, I moreso threw the statement in there to clearly denote the fact that the topic in question should be offered no more valid input on (per my earlier statement about it getting hostile while, at the same time, being a hypothetical that won't affect our server in any way). You invoking the Bible after I said that, and in a light-hearthed manner, sounded like a bit of a meme. So I responded in kind.

If you felt particularly offended by this, then I apologize, it was not my intent.