Jump to content
Tomiix

Staff Action Complaint - Alberyk

Recommended Posts

BYOND Key: TomiixStarslasher

Staff BYOND Key: Alberyk

Game ID: b5y-aB66

Reason for complaint: I was banned for valid rules violations, but I feel like I could of been warned instead, due to the circumstances of the incident.

 

Evidence/logs/etc: A ban request thread, in which I was redirected to this. Here I explain my story. 

 

Additional remarks: I do not want to argue with the reasons for the ban, as due to a result of circumstances rules violations occured. I just want to argue that I had shown during the round that I had taken a good faith approach to address my warning and improve, and that I could of been given the benefit of the doubt. I don't feel like being banned/having my whitelist stripped is fair when a series of reasonable accidents and a bug caused something to happen that I did not want to happen. I have since the incident did everything in my power to report the bug, and talk with the effected players on how future encounters in this situation can be improved, and myself and the Borg in question found faults in our gameplay that caused the RP to not go the direction we both thought. We both discussed the situation in depth, and agreed a combination of lag and misunderstanding caused the incident, and that there is no bad blood.

I also acknowledge that I need to relearn the systems. Like for example with the Borg being delinked. I had no clue you couldn't relink them when you cut the wire. I thought the connection would be restored if I mended the wire, like other hackables. Or that you can't see what a Borg is welding without examining them.

 

I'd also also would like to note that there is nothing against Alberyk. I don't disagree with anything but the form of punsihment. He has to treat me like everybody else.

Edited by Tomiix

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Tomiix said:

I don't feel like being banned/having my whitelist stripped is fair when a series of reasonable accidents and a bug caused something to happen that I did not want to happen.

Alright but as i understand it alberyk says he would have removed your whitelist even if he did not ban you.

Quote

While I was doing so, people were complaining about the AI in coms. Heeding the warning, when I came in and found the other 'director' (who was roleplaying not knowing what to do due to the gimmick rather well.) I reasoned it would be fine to disconnect the borgs link to the AI until I got further clarification on what was going on. The gimmick was explained to me, and I attempted to relink the borg, but for some reason repairing the wire wasn't relinking the borg. We tried troubleshooting it over looc, but I think the borg ahelped and got it fixed.

This is from your original ban appeal. I understand you tried to re-link them later but im afraid that does not really excuse the mistake you made to begin with. A bug is not to blame here.

Quote

 It asked me to again drop my ID, and I put my PDA in my hand, getting ready to eject it and drop it on the ground. Then the captain and his friends showed up to bust me out, and then all bets were off while I was hitting the borg with everything I had, since I had backup. First was my PDA, because I agilely missed my click to try to get a bludgeoning weapon in my hand, and miss pressed a key to switch hands with my keyboard and was sweating. I then didn't miss my click, and drew my crowbar, which started a loading bar. I noticed the loading bar start up, and I panicked cause I in the moment forgot that would open the chasis. (Against normal opponents, the crowbar is my go to spanking weapon... which doesn't get used a lot because I avoid most fights cause I am bad at aurora combat.) The borg pushed me away, so I thought I was good. (After reviewing the log later after I was banned. In the chat the success message popped up despite me being a whole tile away, and the loading bar disappearing.

You missed a click to get a bludgeoning weapon in your hand.

You mis pressed a key to switch hands.

You forgot that a crowbar would start to open his chassi

You also somewhere in this acidentally slid your ID on the borg to unlock his chassi to be crowbared? 

This is an absolutely insane series of mistakes man. Its pretty hard to believe man. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Garnascus said:

Alright but as i understand it alberyk says he would have removed your whitelist even if he did not ban you.

I didn't get that impression from the reply, however the current circumstance is that he banned me. At the end of the day I care less about the reversal of the ban, because also at the end of the day two people's experiences were ruined, and some form of justice is merited for them. It not mattering if it came from ignorance or not. I am simply asking that the totality of my situation be considered, as well as the good of me having a majority positive command rounds vs the two negative ones that happened near each other.

16 hours ago, Garnascus said:

This is from your original ban appeal. I understand you tried to re-link them later but im afraid that does not really excuse the mistake you made to begin with. A bug is not to blame here.

I wasn't aware that you couldn't relink the borg to the AI. That wasn't a bug but more so a lack of understanding of how the mechanics worked. This isn't where the bug occurred, but that it occurred during the crowbar scene.

16 hours ago, Garnascus said:

You missed a click to get a bludgeoning weapon in your hand.

You mis pressed a key to switch hands.

You forgot that a crowbar would start to open his chassi

You also somewhere in this acidentally slid your ID on the borg to unlock his chassi to be crowbared? 

This is an absolutely insane series of mistakes man. Its pretty hard to believe man. 

To be precise about the series of events, so that there is no confusion.

>I had my PDA in my hand, to eject my ID so that I could surrender to the borg once I realized he had a weapon.
>Backup arrived, and I paniced and started clicking and moving around like my life depended on it. Causing me to unlock - lock - unlock before I realized I had a fucking PDA in my hand.
>I realized I had a PDA in my hand, and swapped to my crowbar, which again had the consequence of not doing damage, but starting a opening animation. The borg pushed me away, and I was still juking him, and the loading bar sprite never finished, so I didn't think it had opened. (It doesn't help that the sprite was also a custom sprite, so i didn't recognize the sideways open hatch sprite.
>I put my crowbar on my belt, and get a punch click in before looking for something else to bludgeon with, my saviors break through the glass and back me up, and my attempted punch throw instead pulled the power cell.

I understand it's a very convenient series of events. I also understand that there is no way to verify if this was malicious or not. I at the end of the day wont be mad at whatever decision you make, because I get that we need to be fair to everyone.

I just feel like that when you take in the totality of the situation, a series of mistakes, accidents, and a bug happened. I made my best effort to bring all of these issues to the proper channels attention, and I have created an action plan to improve and avoid this issue again. I feel like that is more effort than someone that was making something up would put in, but at the end of the day that is for you to decide.

I am simply asking that my otherwise relatively clean record, long activity, and overall normally non-controversial status on the server be considered in totality. That you trust that I am not being malicious, that I am taking the warnings and advice to heart, and that I am going to do my best to avoid any future bwoinks. I would understand this approach to someone who was unproven, and joined the server mere weeks ago, I just personally feel it's unnecessarily harsh.

I'm just asking for one more shot, before my character that I play the most, and was my motivation to return, is essentially stripped from me.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tomiix said:

I am simply asking that the totality of my situation be considered, as well as the good of me having a majority positive command rounds vs the two negative ones that happened near each other.

As explained here: 

"Receiving too many administrative actions."

Getting banned is where we draw the line here. Other people also had their whitelists removed because they were banned.

I also applied this ban because you also got two warnings in the past two weeks or so, and one of them was pretty much on the day before the ban.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Alberyk said:

As explained here: 

"Receiving too many administrative actions."

Getting banned is where we draw the line here. Other people also had their whitelists removed because they were banned.

I also applied this ban because you also got two warnings in the past two weeks or so, and one of them was pretty much on the day before the ban.

 

I know it's up to the discretion of administration to define 'too many administrative actions'

However, I am not sure if one very low severity one, which is completely unrelated to the issue that got me banned.

The warning by paradox, the first one was:  "Please do not break immersion with prototype gun names or anything else. References to modern day memes are a no-go."
Which is me not knowing that a certain name was considered a 'meme name' and the one serious one, is too many.

Please keep in mind, that these two warnings, are two of four total warnings that I have on my account, during the course of three years of playing on the server off and on, of which not one is a major warning.

Edited by Tomiix

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Tomiix said:

I understand it's a very convenient series of events. I also understand that there is no way to verify if this was malicious or not. I at the end of the day wont be mad at whatever decision you make, because I get that we need to be fair to everyone.

Yeah i am really sorry to say man i do have to agree with @Alberyk original judgement. You have to understand a similar line is fed to us from players a lot involving "convenient" series of events. The ban here is the line as far as our white-list rules go. At the very least it is all something you can earn back. It is not an albatross around your neck or anything.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah but how long will it take for me to earn it back?

 

I don't expect you guys to allow me to immediately re-apply for the whitelist. At this point this judgment is going to severely impact my enjoyment of the server in the long-run, since it kinda kills my main character.

 

I mean, unless I can play this lack of a whitelist off as 'diversifying skill-set training's' and still claim that I'm a Research Director in lore, but just not act in that capacity in game (unless made interim), but I'm not sure how much of that is allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
On 07/02/2020 at 11:45, Tomiix said:

Yeah but how long will it take for me to earn it back?

No real time limit.

On 07/02/2020 at 11:45, Tomiix said:

I mean, unless I can play this lack of a whitelist off as 'diversifying skill-set training's' and still claim that I'm a Research Director in lore, but just not act in that capacity in game

That would be kiiiiinda RP breaking im sorry to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...