Staff Complaint - MattAtlas - ShesTrying

BYOND Key: Hesphos

Staff BYOND Key:  MattAtlas - ShesTrying     (According to the Staff Directory)

Game ID: NULL

Reason for complaint: Whitelist Removal

MattAtlas and ShesTrying recently reviewed a staff complaint against SampleTex.

In this complaint they reached the following conclusion.

image.thumb.png.28cf4cbd07d4ae74270ae34a31e74879.png

As this is directly linked to a whitelist removal and the Staff Complaint post has been locked I will follow protocol and open a new staff complaint as outlined here.

image.thumb.png.809ee9f423aba0225a0040900467cc92.png

This is the first impactful administrative action taken against me in years. I'm afraid that I cant look up my administrative history on Aurora as a user but I believe I've been in the clear for a very long time. As said, atleast a year if not more.

What was originally a 3 day ban that was levied against me from Sampletex was eventually reduced to a 24 hour.  This whole action is moot as the ban was put into place on June 8th and the reduction made on June 13th making it more of a ceremonial gesture at most as it would have been automatically been lifted by the system itself.

So to put it all in perspective, my non trial whitelist was removed after one 3 day ban, that was reduced to 24 hours, in where the staff member was also found at fault to some degree,  after years of not having any administrative action against me that resulted in a ban.

Now I understand that the whitelist rules state that its under the discretion of the team to enforce but I personally find it rather steep to have a whitelist removed for a single 24 hour ban with years being in the clear.

I've apologized regarding my behavior in the SampleTex staff complaint and made sure to hammer down the point that I will make every attempt to not raise any kind of fit in the staff PM's as to avoid administrative action in the future as this entire ordeal was definitively something I wanted to avoid.

Evidence/logs/etc: Listed above.

Additional remarks: Being able to occasionally hop on a character that is a Head of Staff is one of my main draws to play on the server, please don't remove it after such a small and single infraction as that will drastically reduce my enjoyment. As listed above I will make an exceptional effort to ensure any future staff communication will be handled in a cordial way from my side even when I'm provoked. 

15 hours ago, Hesphos said:

Now I understand that the whitelist rules state that its under the discretion of the team to enforce but I personally find it rather steep to have a whitelist removed for a single 24 hour ban with years being in the clear.

As i understand it any ban will result in the removal of a head whitelist. @Alberyk can correct me if i am wrong. About a day before you where banned you received a note on your ckey for being rude in tickets. So, logically doing the same thing again would result in a temporary ban of 24 hours. Thus that seems to be the logic of reverting the original 3 day ban. 

On 16/06/2020 at 03:38, Garnascus said:

As i understand it any ban will result in the removal of a head whitelist. @Alberyk can correct me if i am wrong. About a day before you where banned you received a note on your ckey for being rude in tickets. So, logically doing the same thing again would result in a temporary ban of 24 hours. Thus that seems to be the logic of reverting the original 3 day ban. 

I see, I wasn't aware of that. In the command whitelist rules it says you are eligible for the removal of your whitelist if you received too many administrative actions with a clause that says that in the end it's up to the discretion of the staff team to enforce or not. From my understanding it's not automatic and the staff team can decide if the actions leading up to the ban were heinous enough to warrant a whitelist removal.

The reason I opened this staff complaint is that I personally disagree with this heavy handed approach that I was subjected to and it would seem that in the complaint against Sampletex the two staff members that were working the post (MattAtlas & shestrying) agreed to some degree by issuing a reprimand to the moderator and reducing the ban from a 3 day to a 24 hour one. Even though that was kind of moot because on the day of the reduction it already expired.

I'm trying to make a case for the fact that what turns out to be one note and a 24 hour ban doesn't warrant the removal of a whitelist due to the following reasons.

1. I've been in the clear for more then a year  with no administrative penalty against me.
  2. The time and effort it took for me to get my whitelist is much longer then 24 hours.
  3. The offence is something exceedingly minor.
  4. People seem to enjoy my playstyle as is evident from my whitelist application.

I'm asking for a little bit of clemency with the fallout of this minor offence as not only I find it to be a brutal reaction I've also made a concerted effort to improve my behavior in staff PM's on the server.

Please, I really want to continue playing as a Head.

2 hours ago, Hesphos said:

The reason I opened this staff complaint is that I personally disagree with this heavy handed approach that I was subjected to

Again, the heavy handed approach here is unrelated to what we did. Your whitelist was removed as a consequence of the original ban applied by SampleTex. All we decided was that the ban should stay.

4 hours ago, MattAtlas said:

Again, the heavy handed approach here is unrelated to what we did. Your whitelist was removed as a consequence of the original ban applied by SampleTex. All we decided was that the ban should stay.

So Sampletex decided to remove my whitelist? It says its up to the discretion of the team to unwhitelist someone according to the whitelist rule page. So thats the banning admin then?

Edited by Hesphos
5 minutes ago, Hesphos said:

So Sampletex decided to remove my whitelist? It says its up to the discretion of the team to unwhitelist someone according to the whitelist rule page. So thats the banning admin then?

No, he did not do that and can not do that. As Garn pointed out; any ban/job ban will result in a whitelist strip.

On 18/06/2020 at 02:26, Hesphos said:

I'm trying to make a case for the fact that what turns out to be one note and a 24 hour ban doesn't warrant the removal of a whitelist due to the following reasons.

1. I've been in the clear for more then a year  with no administrative penalty against me.
  2. The time and effort it took for me to get my whitelist is much longer then 24 hours.
  3. The offence is something exceedingly minor.
  4. People seem to enjoy my playstyle as is evident from my whitelist application.

I am sorry but we cannot really do that. Any temporary ban will result in the removal of your head of staff whitelist. This has been our interpretation ever since alberyk took over the managing of them. The wording has been updated to more accurately reflect this.