Xev's Vaurca Deputy app

key/BYOND Username: Xevanthraxis 

Position Being Applied For: Vaurca deputy Lore developer

Have you read the Lore Team Rules and Regulations wiki page?

I have read through the rules and regulations on the wiki, yes. 

Past Experiences/Knowledge: 

I have occasionally done pieces of my own writing from time to time, which has mostly been world building for various tabletop RPGs, such as D&D, warhammer as well as homebrew things. This however will be my first time writing lore for a community however, as before it was mostly just a side project, or for a group of friends. 

Examples of Past Work:                

I have written quite a few things, from homebrew in set universes such as D&D, Warhammer as explained above, but I have also written a few things of my own to pass the time. 

One of the bigger ones I have written would be:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15QuEtyziOBJztjlgbwuRDsDeLJ--03bFswnyapQcqZQ/edit?usp=sharing

Apologies however, as this is something I’ve done as a side project,so it's not the neatest. I have a few others so feel free to pm me for those, and if that link doesn't work.

Additional Comments:        

Whilst not something I would change outright, the Queenless are something I would like to expand upon and give a little bit more depth then what they currently have. Either through adding more information on what they do and don’t do, as well as how other Vaurca may perceive the queenless in more detail, as well as various operations the queenless do in order to scrape out a living wherever they currently are, and maybe expand on the queenless of other hives other than K’lax and Zo’ra. (Although not sure how that would work for Liidra given their nature.)

Another would be warforms, as well as normal workers and soldiers. Which would mostly be additions, such as various other forms these castes take for more specialized tasks that would be known, such as heavy lifting, more specialized combat for Za, as well as other forms of Warform other then the one seen on server. 
----
The ideas I have had over the last few months or so mostly revovled around the most recent story arch King of the world and the phoron shortage. And how each Hive - including the Lii'dra - are dealing with this. Done with the odd news article here and there based around the Vaurca. Which leads to the various ideas I have on how I would change the Lii'dra. Giving them more lore on par with the other hives such as how they operate. But do it in a way that's from the perspective from others, then from the perspective of the Lii'dra.

Edited by Xevanthraxis
It's been three months and since then I've had more ideas and such.

Hiiii. Glad to see someone finally noticed the dev apps are still open. So, that said, I find this intriguing and have questions™ for you. 

1) What would you change first about the queenless?

2) Warforms are generally pretty up to the imagination even if most of the time it does translate to 'big bug go smash and puke napalm'. What is one of the ideas you have in mind for a warform? Can be minor or major.

3) How willing are you to work with other species in terms of lore arcs and the like?

4) Are you willing to run events? If so, how big?

No worries!

1) I like the overall Idea for the Queenless, what I wish to expand upon is some specific queenless groups that are more well known, as well as named individuals. Such as the leading Ta for Queenless cells, and what they do.

2) The idea of a living tank comes to mind, with a huge biological cannon on it's back. Like the Tyranid Exocrine, or something along the lines of an Artillery warform that just fires balistics over long distances. Again my main ideas stem from most of the Tyranid bioforms from warhammer. But yes with warforms the imagination tends to go a bit wild.

3) I'd happily work with other species during arcs etc. Whilst id say Vaurca are one of my favourites, I like all the species and subsequent lore around them. And always look forward to how the lore can cross over.

4) I'd be willing to run Events, possibly on the small scale at first maybe as I have not done anything like this before. I have a few ideas however.

Edited by Xevanthraxis
It is incredibly late for me and I forgot to proof read.

Hello!

To ask a couple of quick questions:

1. What do you think if your biggest weakness regarding writing or working with others?

2. Do you have any ideas as to a concept of your own design you would like to add to the lore?

I look forward to seeing where this app goes!

Heyo!

1) With writing, my weaknesses can be spelling from time to time as well as my overall grammar. It is one of the reasons why I proof read, to get the spellings checked. And then letting others proofread my work to get opinions on the grammar, as people have said in the past that whilst it can make sense it reads weird.

As for working in a team I tend to be nervous around new people I don't know yet. But overtime that can change.

2) At first my main idea was to expand upon the Queenless as they only have a paragraph or two on the main Vaurca page. Going into larger queenless groups that have become large enough to warrant attention and made a name for themselves. I also had the idea of maybe also coming up with a way for C’thur to also have queenless, alongside Zo’ra and K’lax.

Alongside this would be technology on a more broad scale. Such as various forms of ships, weapons, augments as well as more varied warfroms save for the two or so already known.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

In short, Application Accepted.

In long,

You're the only applicant, sure, but you've been passionate and you show promise. If there were other applicants, I'm pretty sure I'd still have picked you.
Queenless could definitely use some love. Well, vaurca in general could use some love - with lore as expansive as the domain of vaurcae, there are plenty of things that get overlooked. The Queenless were a project I had pretty much no involvement in, and I've struggled to shape them into something that does the original idea justice while still remaining grounded in the lore. I'm sure you've got ideas, and I would very much so like to hear them.

Your anxiety around new people was one of my concerns when I became deputy, but the lore team are very welcoming, and I promise working with them is like spreading butter on a warm summers day and you live in a place where air conditioning is non-existent, let alone in the kitchen where the butter is stored and your family forgot to put it in the fridge or something to prevent it from melting in the summer's day heat - whew, long analogy. 

Aaand on top of that, so long as the content of your writing is high quality - quality meaning inventive and creative - I don't mind being the one to jostle words into place or so on and so forth. Bygone, the previous Vaurca maintainer, was an excellent and creative mind, but between you and me? Guy didn't know how to use commas, and had a tendency to make long-winded sentences. I didn't mind fixing them, though, as what he wrote was wonderful.

To round it all off, lore writing is a cooperative job. If you wanna do stuff, literally anyone in the lore team would be willing to help. Most of the time they help even without you asking. So! We'll all be keeping an eye on you. So long as you can communicate like we've communicated in DMs, literally nothing can go wrong.

So yeah, application accepted.