DrFarson - Custom Borg Sprites

Dr. Farson

BYOND Key: Dr. Farson

Character name: HCS-0X

Item name: Holographic Crew Supplement Chassis

Why is your character carrying said item to work?

Recend developments in holographic technology have led to the development of hard-light technology. As such, some have considered the use of this in combination with a positronic chassis. Meet the Holographic Crew Supplement, an advanced holographic projector capable of performing all the necessary tasks of a normal borg, with added flair. The HCS is a one-off prototype device designed for the purposes of supplementing the standard crew complement, in a way that is more relatable and condusive to teamwork. It's intended to work with the crew and help them do their jobs while also serving as a means to promote the SCC.

The device itself is no more than a small treaded chassis surrounded by a circular metal container. There are cameras mounted along and above the chassis, which allow it to survey it's surroundings. An integrated sensor suite also aids in this. The idea is that the chassis will project a holographic hard-light model above itself, allowing the chassis to interact with the world around it. While it's still a working prototype, it's hoped that it will work to improve crew efficieny, and relate more closely with the crew.

The manipulators on the chassis exend upward using an extendable robotic arm. This is then used to perform all the necessarry tasks that a norma; robot could do.

Due to it's nature, the hologram seemed a good candidate to serve as the face/mascott of the Aurora. While it has no actual power, the SCC manipulates it's behavior to act in a way that projects the station and it's crew in a good light.  (i'm not sure about this last part, but I'd appreciate feedback)

Item function(s): The item is a spriting for relevant cyborg modules.

Item description:

A small, treaded, circular robot moving along the floor, with what appears to be a hologram projected above it.

Item appearance:

The hologram projected has different colours for each department, but overall the sprite remains mostly the same. 

image.png.3a7f622edaacf15eeb03be56fc84fc61.pngimage.png.b2a59786cc9b68a34e85280507d8f848.pngimage.png.fa81a5f0fbb591c7358e5f14f7063196.pngimage.png.1ac1bb5a7979ed469d442d6566b412c1.png

The Powered off sprites are below:

image.png.ed5f1317764e656b57b670d8014bb36c.pngimage.png.9205de0afb0fa2087055e8f0a34c61a4.pngimage.png.cce50b170ae994fdfbe919345502ae8b.png

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?

HCS-0X is intended to be an advanced prototype for a more relatable borg. The idea is that while it's still intended to be friendly, the SCC has injected so much stuff into it that it still spouts corporate propaganda. This in turn makes it seem like it isn't really being friendly at all. It's supposed to be slightly unnerving, yet friendly at the same time (think uncanny).

This should provide some interesting interactions, and allow me to work on developing the character, perhaps having it drift from it's original programming, as things with machine learning tend to do. What would normally be a cold and calice character can be turned into something with a more dynamic personality, but one still tainted by corporate propaganda. Over time I intend on having it develop more of a personality of it's own, but nothing too advanced.

Additional comments:
This is my first time creating a custom borg, and my first time creating a sprite, so I look forward to hearing back from everybody, especially regarding what you think of my idea. I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me to develop this idea further, and I am interested to hear what people have to say. Feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you think, what I should change, or if I missed anything. The .DMI file is listed below.

EDIT: I've done some asking around on the discord and other such parts, and I have found that there is another hologram cyborg that exists. I'm entirely sure of it's details in full, but I do feel that it sets a precedent. Aditionally, I've heard feedback that there may not be a lore explanation for how it's manipulators work. I'm open to suggestions, but the best I can think of is perhaps a retractable frame that extends when the hologram is running. Let me know if you have any further suggestions. Oh, and as for the design of the hologram, that can always be changed, if it doesn't fit the server.

EDIT 2: Added explanation for how the robot manipulators work, and modified the images to fit the correct colour scheme.

DMI FILE IS CURRENTLY A WORK IN PROGRESS, SCANLINES ARE NEXT TO BE ADDED.

Edited by Dr. Farson
Minor edits

I am not a huge fan of that because:

• The sprite does not fit into our lineup of current borg sprites
  • I am unsure if the hologram is backed by lore (as there seem to be no other manipulators, which means that the hologram would have to emulate all the "usual" manipulators the borgs have.
1 hour ago, Arrow768 said:

• I am unsure if the hologram is backed by lore (as there seem to be no other manipulators, which means that the hologram would have to emulate all the "usual" manipulators the borgs have.

How could I go about fixing this, any suggestions? Perhaps I could incorporate more manipulators and whatnot, but that would take time to resprite. Not that I'm unwilling to do that of course, but it's something that would take time nonetheless. Again, anything to help this work out.

4 hours ago, Arrow768 said:

The first thing I would recommend is to use the already established department-colours for the base: (Medical borgs in the following image)

image.png.9d244beb23225ca871fb23d1dd7b492e.png

The second concern could be addressed by adding some manipulators to it.

Would you care to send me a palette of the borg department colours, so I can do that?

On 28/02/2021 at 06:00, Dr. Farson said:

BYOND Key: Dr. Farson

Character name: HCS-0X

Item name: Holographic Crew Supplement Chassis

Why is your character carrying said item to work?

Recend developments in holographic technology have led to the development of hard-light technology. As such, some have considered the use of this in combination with a positronic chassis. Meet the Holographic Crew Supplement, an advanced holographic projector capable of performing all the necessary tasks of a normal borg, with added flair. The HCS is a one-off prototype device designed for the purposes of supplementing the standard crew complement, in a way that is more relatable and condusive to teamwork. It's intended to work with the crew and help them do their jobs while also serving as a means to promote the SCC.

The device itself is no more than a small treaded chassis surrounded by a circular metal container. There are cameras mounted along and above the chassis, which allow it to survey it's surroundings. An integrated sensor suite also aids in this. The idea is that the chassis will project a holographic hard-light model above itself, allowing the chassis to interact with the world around it. While it's still a working prototype, it's hoped that it will work to improve crew efficieny, and relate more closely with the crew.

Due to it's nature, the hologram seemed a good candidate to serve as the face/mascott of the Aurora. While it has no actual power, the SCC manipulates it's behavior to act in a way that projects the station and it's crew in a good light.  (i'm not sure about this last part, but I'd appreciate feedback)

Item function(s): The item is a spriting for relevant cyborg modules.

Item description:

A small, treaded, circular robot moving along the floor, with what appears to be a hologram projected above it.

Item appearance:

The hologram projected has different colours for each department, but overall the sprite remains mostly the same. 

image.png.b55936737691c7a5170287193d54a162.pngimage.png.0b8a71443fcc0c27edc1abf3ab40de69.pngimage.png.0fa0c4741e8b161f3b69fd32289ff8e7.png

The Powered off sprites are below:

image.png.ed5f1317764e656b57b670d8014bb36c.pngimage.png.9205de0afb0fa2087055e8f0a34c61a4.pngimage.png.cce50b170ae994fdfbe919345502ae8b.png

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?

HCS-0X is intended to be an advanced prototype for a more relatable borg. The idea is that while it's still intended to be friendly, the SCC has injected so much stuff into it that it still spouts corporate propaganda. This in turn makes it seem like it isn't really being friendly at all. It's supposed to be slightly unnerving, yet friendly at the same time (think uncanny).

This should provide some interesting interactions, and allow me to work on developing the character, perhaps having it drift from it's original programming, as things with machine learning tend to do. What would normally be a cold and calice character can be turned into something with a more dynamic personality, but one still tainted by corporate propaganda. Over time I intend on having it develop more of a personality of it's own, but nothing too advanced.

Additional comments:
This is my first time creating a custom borg, and my first time creating a sprite, so I look forward to hearing back from everybody, especially regarding what you think of my idea. I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me to develop this idea further, and I am interested to hear what people have to say. Feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you think, what I should change, or if I missed anything. The .DMI file is listed below.

EDIT: I've done some asking around on the discord and other such parts, and I have found that there is another hologram cyborg that exists. I'm entirely sure of it's details in full, but I do feel that it sets a precedent. Aditionally, I've heard feedback that there may not be a lore explanation for how it's manipulators work. I'm open to suggestions, but the best I can think of is perhaps a retractable frame that extends when the hologram is running. Let me know if you have any further suggestions. Oh, and as for the design of the hologram, that can always be changed, if it doesn't fit the server.

DMI FILE - CLICK HERE

Kinda reminds me of that one person who used to have a custom borg sprite that was a holographic catgirl.

This is far more down to earth though, I dig it.

On 27/02/2021 at 20:14, Arrow768 said:

Fixed, and fixed. feel free to take another look now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...