Za'Akaix'Vitzk Zo'ra, Security Cadet

New-Found Courage, Security Officer

Shkiezik Esoksre, Anomalist

Szuiaks Ezsruk, Warden

+ a bunch of retired characters.

AI Name(s): Augur

Discord Username + Tag: kermit#4941

Timezone: GMT+1

When are you on Aurora?: I usually have Aurora opened up in the background throughout the day just keeping an eye on deadpop and looking out for when people find enough spirit to try and boost the in-game player count up by 3 characters or something. I tend to play one of the medium-pop rounds in the evening, then am able to observe - sometimes join - the high-pop round which usually occurs in the late-evening/midnight for me. 

Experience:

How long have you played SS13?: Since 29th/30th April of 2019.

How long have you played on Aurora: Since 29th/30th April of 2019.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: Regarding departments, Medical and Command are my strong points, with Supply being my weakest point. I spent my first year and half playing Medical, so I’ve probably introduced a great many people into the Medical fold - for better or worse. I do have a firm grasp on all departments though, and have played each one for a decent amount of time, can provide information on the essentials for all of them, and have made sure that I’ve played each department to put anything I do know to the test. Other mechanics such as species and AI mechanics I understand enough to inform someone.

The majority of questions regarding game mechanics I may be posed while moderator I believe I can handle, and in any case where I may be unsure about game mechanics, I’ve got my own fork & VSC to skim through or boot up and test stuff quickly, as well as people I can ask questions.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: Not for an SS13 community, no.

Have you read through the criteria thread - [link] - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: I believe so. 

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: No bans.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?:  I originally began playing SS13 after a friend asked me to find a game we could play together. Naturally, we jumped onto an LRP or MRP server and mucked around. However, I then noticed HRP servers existed, thought I’d give it a shot, and then discovered it scratched my itch for a serious roleplaying game which I could see myself enjoying; I tended to play Garry’s Mod roleplaying servers, which are pretty lame in comparison. 

Why do you play on Aurora?: Story-telling. I’ve always been attracted to roleplaying games and really enjoy being able to create characters, interact with other people’s characters, form stories with the characters in front of me, etc. The addition of antagonists and the very occasional event to steer a round or drive a lore-arc makes it all the more entertaining for me. What keeps bringing me back are the faces I’ve met and the stories I’ve told and would like to continue to tell with people - it’s a friendly community, there’s a lot of nice people who I enjoy talking to out-of-game as much as in-game via our characters.

What do moderators do?: Moderators ensure the flow of the round carries on undisturbed. If someone unaware, unwise or mean-spirited disturbs the flow, moderators are there to correct it and redirect the current so that the round may carry on normally. 

Moderators are also expected to provide help to those who ask, so if someone’s round is disrupted as they’re unaware of mechanics that would allow them to proceed with their round, then, should the individual ahelp, moderators can lend a hand and put them back on-course.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To fulfil and be trusted enough to fulfil the above duties, as well as to represent the community on a small-scale to new folk who may be ahelping to say this is their first time playing on the Aurora. While anyone can choose to help a new player or scold someone for doing something unwise, moderators are trusted and empowered to do this. Trust is the keyword, and if you’re trusted enough by the administrative team to moderate, then others may hopefully trust you too.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I’ve been asked to apply on a few occasions, though I never felt I knew enough about mechanics nor felt I could really be bothered to interact with the community on a larger scale than just the odd GitHub contribution. Lately though, I’ve reconsidered applying for either a CCIAA or Moderator position, and settled upon Moderator after a short discussion with a member of the staff team, as I believe I have a far more firm grasp on game mechanics and believe I’d be more willing to interact with the community and those within it than before. 

Besides this, I also tend to observe many rounds just because I find it entertaining watching how antagonist rounds unfold. I’d feel less like I’m wasting my time by observing if I had the ability to answer ahelp questions or settle a dispute between players which may occur. 

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: A general sense of imperturbability; very little is able to drive me towards an ill-considered response, and I can maintain a well-collected exterior when everything’s been set loose on me. I’d also consider myself quite kind and very willing to help and mentor - I’ve always approached or been approached by players on Discord, either new to roleplay or new to, say, chemistry, and then took them under my wing and taught them all I know. 

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Re: Sense of imperturbability. I rarely act on impulse or come to quick conclusions, and, even in really difficult situations, am patient enough to stop and think and consider my next actions thoughtfully. I definitely acknowledge the role of moderating is pretty stressful and moderators are susceptible to burn out, however, without experiencing it first-hand, I can’t judge whether it’s something I can handle or not. Judging entirely by how I cope with other stressful things, I’m not sure anything that will be thrown at me while I’m a moderator will really be able to immediately perturb me - it certainly won’t affect my performance as a moderator while online.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

13/10: Edits after proof reading

24/10: New characters, more exact dates

Edited by SadKermit
24/10: New characters, more exact dates

A bit late, but Kermit is the primary person who did Auroras' Chemistry rework and stuff too, I've worked very closely with them on that project where we both brought our idea to reality -- I trust them a lot and my experience working with them was only positive, I dunno how well that kind of experience will translate to moderation, but it at least speaks strongly of maturity and tact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...