WhatsUpBrotendo's Skrell Deputy App

Ckey/BYOND Username: WhatsUpBrotendo

Discord: A 49 Year old Dad#7046

Position Being Applied For: Skrell Deputy

Have you read the Lore Team Rules and Regulations wiki page?: Yes
Past Experiences/Knowledge: I've contributed some Skrell lore, shown below
Examples of Past Work:
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Skrell_Cinematography#Bloopy_and_Friends:_An_Educational_Children.27s_Show - Bloopy and Friends, Low Tide: Qerrbalak, Seaside Shuffle, and Tail to Tail.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Skrell_Faith#Doctrines - A small update to Qeblak doctrines, along with a coming of age ceremony for both faiths and a 'Bright Nights' religious event.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Skrell_Culture#Nral.27viq - A small update to Nral'viq, turning it into Federation Week along with Founding Day for the colonies.

In addition to the standard application format, please include a brief essay on your thoughts about the current state of Skrell lore, and what your plans for it would be.

For me, Skrell lore is in a weird place. In some cases there's a lot of detail in the lore, like with the Starlight Zone or the pages for Qerrbalak, Qerr'Malic, Aliose, and Aweiji. In comparison however, there's quite a few areas that feel lacking, which I feel has a major impact on how the playerbase plays Skrell. I'm mainly referring to things like Skrell culture, food, and religion, which are key areas that help flesh out a character. I'd like to see them receive some love in the form of a major glow up or at least some extra fluff to help the players make their characters seem more alive.

I like the direction that the current lore team is going in, and I've enjoyed the contributions I've made towards Skrell lore with them. I'd like to carry on contributing to the lore and bringing all areas of it up to a standard that hopefully everyone will be happy with.

My initial plans for Skrell lore are to continue with what I've currently been doing with Ryverstyx and Butter with Skrell culture and religion; expanding upon existing lore or adding new parts to it where needed. I've got ideas for many aspects of the lore, but my main focus will be anything related to Skrell life and culture, including building on current planets and systems already established in the lore. On that note, I'd also like to contribute towards the Traverse, and work with the team on fleshing out its place within the Federation as an important piece of the whole, while also being host to secessionist movements and anti-Federation sentiment.

Finally, I’d like to contribute to the lore surrounding the genophage. There’s been a lot of work recently with the addition of additional ailments and illnesses, and I’d like to see this part of the lore continue to be given attention; it’s a major part of Skrell history and part of what makes the species unique.

To sum it up, I'd like to contribute towards a much more robust lore page for Skrell, allowing players to flesh out their characters and make the species feel more 'living' than it currently does.

Additional comments:

I mess around with spriting, but it's amateur at best. No idea how to code.

Edited by WhatsUpBrotendo
Corrected my contribution to the faith page. Ryverstyx did the Weishii doctrines while I did the Qeblak doctrines.

Hello! I have a couple questions for you 🐸 

1. Would you be able to stay engaged in writing lore that you may not personally find appealing? For instance, if a project you do not find appealing was delegated to you how would you handle it's addition?

2. If you could have complete creative control over one facet of Skrell lore which area would you pick?

I know that you alluded to some of this in the application but I am still curious to see your answers!

2 hours ago, RyverStyx said:

Hello! I have a couple questions for you 🐸 

1. Would you be able to stay engaged in writing lore that you may not personally find appealing? For instance, if a project you do not find appealing was delegated to you how would you handle it's addition?

2. If you could have complete creative control over one facet of Skrell lore which area would you pick?

I know that you alluded to some of this in the application but I am still curious to see your answers!

1. I'd like to say I'd make the effort with the project, regardless of my personal feelings about it, and try to do it in a way where everyone involved is happy with the result. I don't mind doing work that's not particularly appealing since at the end of the day it's something that needs to be done.

2. Skrellian culture and lifestyle definitely. Like I said in the application a species' culture is one of the major things required to make a fleshed out character in my opinion, so having control over that facet of the species would be my first choice given the chance.

Hi there. Thanks for applying. 

Hypothetically, let's say you have complete and unfettered access to take lore in any direction you want. What would you do? 

What do you not enjoy about Skrell Lore? How would you remedy this? 

How do you feel about megacorpotions in the Jargon Federation? 

Do you have plans for the Starlight Zone? 

27 minutes ago, Caelphon said:

Hypothetically, let's say you have complete and unfettered access to take lore in any direction you want. What would you do? 

What do you not enjoy about Skrell Lore? How would you remedy this? 

How do you feel about megacorpotions in the Jargon Federation? 

Do you have plans for the Starlight Zone? 

1) I'd like to see the Federation take a less isolationist approach to galactic affairs, and be more involved in politics than they are now. Although saying that it seems like we're seeing the start of something similar to this with the recent news articles about megacorporations getting contracts in the Federation.

2) I'm not a major fan of the social credit system as its currently implemented, mostly regarding the numerical part of the system. I believe it should be expanded upon so that there's a bigger difference between primaries and secondaries, and that certain advantages/disadvantages have a specific score or score range tied to them. At what point would a secondary have their reproductive rights taken from them is quite vague currently, as an example.

3) As a general thought I don't mind megacorporations being allowed in the Federation, and I think it'll be interesting to see how the current arc with government contracts and economic zones being established in the Federation turns out. Saying this, I wouldn't like to see the megacorporations have a major hold over the Federations economy or politics. 

4) None in particular, but I don't see myself not touching it at some point if my application is accepted. In my opinion, there's always room for additions and the Starlight Zone is an interesting part of the lore with its pro/anti Federation divide in particular standing out to me.

Even though there's not much competence right now, I think you're a good pick for the role. However, I do have one concern and it is that you just recently came back from a hiatus. Do you fear you may get burned out of the game soon again? How would you deal with this as part of the lore team?

Two more questions:

Are you eager to work with the rest of the teams, or coordinate in non-Skrell stuff? In the lore team we have projects we all contribute at, and they're not always from our species (like the recent Biesel culture project).

What do you think of the C'thur and what plans do you have with the Vaurca team?

5 minutes ago, Desven said:

Even though there's not much competence right now, I think you're a good pick for the role. However, I do have one concern and it is that you just recently came back from a hiatus. Do you fear you may get burned out of the game soon again? How would you deal with this as part of the lore team?

Two more questions:

Are you eager to work with the rest of the teams, or coordinate in non-Skrell stuff? In the lore team we have projects we all contribute at, and they're not always from our species (like the recent Biesel culture project).

What do you think of the C'thur and what plans do you have with the Vaurca team?

I'd like to say I'd finish any outstanding projects before stepping down, or discussing how I could still contribute without it affecting any other responsibilities I might have. I don't see myself burning out any time soon but it's definitely something I feel needs to be discussed if my applications accepted.

I don't see any reason to not be eager to collaborate on projects that aren't necessarily Skrell related. If anything I could see it being refreshing when the opportunity comes around.

I like Vaurca lore, and to be honest it was a coin toss between putting forward a Skrell app or a Vaurca app at one point. The way I see it the C'thur are in a good place, but I'd enjoy the opportunity to work with the lore team to see how their role in the Federation could be expanded upon.