Let Accents/Origins automatically give you the associated Language

Carver

Per the title. An example would be the Sol accent giving Sol Common for free, or the Xanu accent giving Freespeak for free. Ideally without taking away from the existing 'pick and choose' language slots, so if you were a Solarian you'd get Basic (free), Sol Common (free), and your choice of two extra languages.

My main reason for desiring this is often seeing off-ship antagonists pick an accent and forget to take the language that goes with it. My secondary reason is simply wanting more language slots, as the amount of languages slowly grows (I love when languages are added, Elyran Standard is the kind of flavour I want to see more of!) yet crew are stuck with only knowing a few languages no matter how old they are. So, two birds with one stone would be this suggestion as a very simple solution to both matters.

Edited by Carver
I don't really care if it's tied to accent or origin.
17 minutes ago, wowzewow said:

Hard NO to the additional language slots. Other than that this idea is alright.

I wasn't suggesting adding language slots, I was suggesting keeping the same number of 'pick your language' slots while having accents give you their cultural language for free.

Awesome suggestion. I think this could get a bit goofy for IPCs if every single IPC gets its cultural language and EAL, so maybe only EAL for Konyanger IPCs? Dunno. But so often I sort of have to choose between taking languages I want for RP and languages I'll actually think that character would want/learn IC intentionally and it can be so exhausting with the two slots.

11 hours ago, MattAtlas said:

This isn't something that should be tied to accents but to origins.

I only mention accents in particular due to the off-station antag accent changing stuff, as I do not uncommonly see Heisters/Mercs taking an accent without the associated language. It occurred to me after trying to speak to a heister with a Xanu accent in Freespeak, and realizing he didn't have Freespeak.

40 minutes ago, Carver said:

I only mention accents in particular due to the off-station antag accent changing stuff, as I do not uncommonly see Heisters/Mercs taking an accent without the associated language. It occurred to me after trying to speak to a heister with a Xanu accent in Freespeak, and realizing he didn't have Freespeak.

In order to pick an accent in the Quickees you also have to pick an origin. So tying it to origin would work for Off-stations as well.(last I checked, if I'm wrong, feel free to kill me)

Edited by Triogenix
1 hour ago, Triogenix said:

In order to pick an accent in the Quickees you also have to pick an origin. So tying it to origin would work for Off-stations as well.(last I checked, if I'm wrong, feel free to kill me)

If that's the case, wonderful. Origins would be just fine (though this might be weird with IPC origins).

Edited by Carver
  • Carver changed the title to Let Accents/Origins automatically give you the associated Language
  • 2 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic