Make implants appear as implants in the body scanner

SinfulBehaviors

Due to a situation that arose in a recent medical round of mine and subsequent discussions, I feel like there's a slight issue with how implants are currently handled. Despite us, in canon, having the ability to determine Multiple Severe Organ Failure with an instantaneous body scan, to chuck a dude in a tube and have all his wounds healed, and the ability to heal genetic damage through a simple injection, somehow we can't differentiate bombs, implants, and bullets. Currently as it stands, all those things get listed in the various scanners as abnormal masses. This causes issues when a person has been filled full of shrapnel and you don't know if what you're taking out is a piece of metal or some implant some dude needs to survive, and that's problematic.

My solution? When scanned, list all implants, except for one, as an "unidentified implant." As for the Mindshield implant, as it's required in all but one command member slots, should be listed with it's full name. All others will not be named, and as such will not result in people accidentally nuking antags entire gimmicks. 

I saw a suggestion that antag implants shouldn't be visible on scanners, so I'll preemptively address that. Personally, I feel like having them be invisible would lead to more problems than it's worth. I can already see arguments arising due to an antag undergoing surgery, medical missing a bomb implant, then having the person fucking explode. I feel like simply labeling (almost) all implants identically would be the best choice as it would ensure it's removeable if things get ended for the antag, as well as possibly allow for interrogations of what they have in them provided there's a detective.

I've had issues with implants and medical recently too. I don't play medical often but what is SOP for possible implants? I imagine intrusive surgery to remove implants should be frowned upon, especially since security has a way of dealing with antags with implants already.

I agree though, something needs to change from how it is now.

On 14/09/2022 at 20:39, greenjoe said:

My idea for this would be to make proper implants, like the mindshield, and ones from the loadout, show up properly, and have the antag implants be given fake, medical-y sounding names, so they wouldn't look sus on medical scans

I like the idea, but the issue with that is it could lead to metagaming. If you're a med main and you keep seeing like, "Morphine Injector Mk2" over and over in antags, people are gonna figure out what's what. I think it's better to make most of them unidentified.

• Gem locked this topic