Security 3.0 Remap

Jamini

Alright.

I'm not pointing fingers at the person who did security and command 2.0. It was not me, that is all I will say on that matter.

THAT SAID

It's pretty universally considered that the current brig is bad. Very bad. It has flow, structure, and usability issues.

I've been working on a concept for remapping the brig once again, into something more acceptable for both security members and antagonists.

The current map revision I have is as follows:

yS4xz0A.png

Now, it's not perfect. It's not finished. Most of it is up in the air. Before you comment, please read below. It will include a manifest of the goals for this change.

Goal 1 : Workflow

-A department should have a native flow to how it is structured. It should be easy to move around the department, even while pulling an object.

Goal 2: Standardization

-All departments should have several standard features, which includes the following

--Main internal Hallways should be approximately 2 tiles wide.

--A department should be able to mostly lock itself down during code red.

--Secure Areas must have at least one designed weak point. A weak point is classified as a section or wall where one can enter using a single stick of C4, or approximately a minute worth of work with tools. Exposure to space counts as a weak point.

Goal 3: Segregation of Responsibilities

-A department should not have facilities that are exclusive to another department

--On-station Medical supplies should be limited to a single cryobag, a single roll of gause, and a single bottle of ointment.

---This extends to the morgue. If necessary for FTs, the morgue can be modified with trays specifically for security.

--Off-station Medical supplies should include a small medical room, complete with a sleeper and a few different types of medkits.

--Building Materials and tools will be limited to what the department is expected to use in the course of their duties.

---Crowbars are an exception to this, and will be made plentiful to allow players to move around more readily during power outages.

--Evidence holding and weapons should remain exclusive to security.

Goal 4: Atmospheric and power integrity

-A department should have sufficient firedoors and fire alarms to ensure that a breach will not compromise the entire department.

-Rooms will be structured so that atmospherics can close off part of an area and allow operations to continue while repairs are in effect

Goal 5: Security

-All departments should have the ability to fully enter lockdown. Prohibiting entry or exit.

-All departments must have at minimum two weak points by default.

--Currently engineering has a teleporter in their atmospheric room, and an entry point VIA external airlock.

I'll answer questions and responses to feedback below. I will also post links to my twitch account when I am mapping, as I stream while I work most times.

Edited by Guest
My biggest complaint with the brig, is how much empty and unused space there is now.

A big brig is only cool, when there is stuff that fills the area.

I wouldn't mind seeing it changed.

This isn't a discussion on the current brig. Is there any particular part of the remap in this discussion you would like to see reviewed? Unused space you'd like to see used?

Having seen the communal brig in action on B12, I am not a fan of it. It seriously inhibits holding for minor crimes and makes most crimes essentially permanent holding. If we want to try it I could certainly whip one up consisting of the triple cell-block.

Prisoners can arpee through the windows between cells.

What I dislike about the current brig and this proposition is that prisoners have no way of being visited unless someone lets them in. Before, people had a chance of being put into the eastern cells which were in view of the lobby, unless the officers were dicks and put them on the western ones where no one except people with Infirmary access could see them.

I think the rest is pretty neat.

It's definitely a start. If I may make a suggestion, though?

SsDHWI6.png

That blue area I colored in at the maintenance tunnel? Turn that into a medical access hallway, maybe? I know it doesn't jive well with the maintenance tunnel that it would connect to but something I really appreciated from the first brig was the medical access hallway to the infirmary. I thought that was cool.

Also I MAY be missing it, but what is technically the processing room now?

I'm all about this one. I hate how crap the HoS' office is now. But I'm not sure how windows into processing to the general public would cause anything but problems, unless it had a privacy shutter sort of deal.

I do like how antags will have to actually put in a little more than minimal effort to blow into the armoury now tho.

It's definitely a start. If I may make a suggestion, though?

SsDHWI6.png

That blue area I colored in at the maintenance tunnel? Turn that into a medical access hallway, maybe? I know it doesn't jive well with the maintenance tunnel that it would connect to but something I really appreciated from the first brig was the medical access hallway to the infirmary. I thought that was cool.

Also I MAY be missing it, but what is technically the processing room now?

I like that idea.

Processing is to the right of the entry hallway, next to evidence storage.

Going to bring this up in this thread rather than the other as it's relatively quiet for now (though the question stands for both threads), but:

There's currently two people working on their own rework of the brig. Neither are official mappers, Skull is in charge of adding map updates, and while both reworks are arguably better than the current brig setup, how exactly would we decide which one to take?

One has a communal brig and the other does not. There's also a few minor things that I like better about Sue's map than Jamini's (the lobby isn't super cramped). But as a whole, what I can picture is a lot of people coming onto both threads to state reasons why they like or dislike the brigs, without a clear conclusion being drawn.

How do we solve this?

Skull and I will be looking in on each of the threads and talking about it as they go on, gaining community feedback on what one is preferred.

Lemme try.

What I like:

• -Warden's office has view of three of the four cells, /but/ I would move the warden's chair one tile towards port (make the desks windoor desks) so that the view extends to the back end of the cells, and not just the front end. (Max viewdistance is 7 tiles)

-Love the floor pattern in the briefing room

-Internal armory is interesting (could be broken into via maintenance without alerting anyone?)

What I don't like/suggestions:

• -The lobby is way too small. Considering the amount of action that happens in it (multiple people coming to see sec at once, prisoners being taken in/into holding, basically every non-sec member talking to sec in this area), having it be a 1 tile-wide corridor with chairs on either side won't work.

-Lockdowns shouldn't lock down maintenance. That's OP.

-No insanity ward

-Infirmary access hall breaks the maintenance around the bathrooms. Given that the infirmary is right by the lobby, having an instant access hall is probably not that important.

-I don't understand the point of the 1 tile-wide corridor under processing/evidence storage - since you already have multiple ways to go around these two rooms, it only takes up space from them

-The entrance to the interrogation room should be moved to the aft wall, so you don't have to walk through a chair (and the person sitting in it) to get in.

-I'm not sure what the computer in the equipment storage room is, but I doubt anyone will ever use it. It could be replaced by two tables holding some essential equipment.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. The biggest issues as a whole (imo) are the size of the lobby, and the fact that the lockdown shouldn't lock down maintenance.

Also, simply a question for now, but why are there 8 lockers in the equipment storage room? For new officers arriving after cryo/SSD officers didn't return their gear?

-Internal armory is interesting (could be broken into via maintenance without alerting anyone?)

Yes. But note that any form of construction or deconstruction makes a fair amount of noise. A camera will probably be put on the maint shaft to make it little harder. Also, going through the weak point only gets you riot gear unless you smash a windoor.

What I don't like/suggestions:

-The lobby is way too small. Considering the amount of action that happens in it (multiple people coming to see sec at once, prisoners being taken in/into holding, basically every non-sec member talking to sec in this area), having it be a 1 tile-wide corridor with chairs on either side won't work.

I've had a few people say they like the idea of a smaller lobby, but I have a few ideas for shuffling it around. I've actually been considering flipping the holding cell around and ...hmm... wait... you just gave me an idea.

-Lockdowns shouldn't lock down maintenance. That's OP.

I was bringing it in line with every other major department. Engineering, science, and medical all have full lockdowns. Security should as well. A lockdown is a lockdown.

-No insanity ward

Technically security isn't supposed to handle the insane. Practically, isolation works as an insanity ward. Worst case, adding in an insanity ward can be done.

-Infirmary access hall breaks the maintenance around the bathrooms. Given that the infirmary is right by the lobby, having an instant access hall is probably not that important.

Based on your input, I'm going to be completely restructuring the lobby, to the point that medical will have access from the lobby. Also, that maintainence shaft didn't' exist before. It's entirely new anyway.

-I don't understand the point of the 1 tile-wide corridor under processing/evidence storage - since you already have multiple ways to go around these two rooms, it only takes up space from them

It was intended as a means for the CSI/Detective to enter the rooms. But expanding both rooms is certainly not out of the question. It looks ugly as-is.

-The entrance to the interrogation room should be moved to the aft wall, so you don't have to walk through a chair (and the person sitting in it) to get in.

Drew mentioned that to me, it's already done.

-I'm not sure what the computer in the equipment storage room is, but I doubt anyone will ever use it. It could be replaced by two tables holding some essential equipment.

Cameras, IIRC. Could easily swap it out.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. The biggest issues as a whole (imo) are the size of the lobby, and the fact that the lockdown shouldn't lock down maintenance.

I'll defiantly rework the lobby tonight. I'll leave the lockdown question to skull, but so far he's been supportive of having a full lockdown for each department. Considering that engineering and security can seal off areas with barricades/walls, I could just as easily free up a few maint doors.

Also, simply a question for now, but why are there 8 lockers in the equipment storage room? For new officers arriving after cryo/SSD officers didn't return their gear?

Yup. Having a little extra never hurts.

Really glad to see a lot of these issues addressed!

As for the lockdowns, no departments that I know of had shutters on maintenance doors until recently (where engineering was given some). I can't speak for science, but medbay, security, and engineering didn't.

Honestly, though, I'm curious about the implications/uses of a lockdown. Since they happen so rarely, I might actually be okay with maintenance being locked as well, because otherwise it makes them very spotty to anyone with maintenance access.

Really glad to see a lot of these issues addressed!

As for the lockdowns, no departments that I know of had shutters on maintenance doors until recently (where engineering was given some). I can't speak for science, but medbay, security, and engineering didn't.

Honestly, though, I'm curious about the implications/uses of a lockdown. Since they happen so rarely, I might actually be okay with maintenance being locked as well, because otherwise it makes them very spotty to anyone with maintenance access.

The science lockdown and the medical lockdown both block of most maint doors. At the very least the virlogy and xenobiology airlocks and the science shuttle entrance.

EDIT

After checking the map. Science has a full 100% lockdown. Medical's lockdown is actually rather poor coverage, except for viro.

yS4xz0A.png

Updated. Atmos is roughly done now. Major changes

Total lobby remap, it is much more spacious now.

Medical entrance is directly from the main hallway. Medics have access to the infirmary (nothing else).

Added a shooting range.

Expanded evidence storage and processing.

Changed interrogation layout slightly

Moved the holding cell to a more accessible area.

Moved the visiting area to a hallway-accessible area.