OneWingedMajora's Skrell Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: OneWingedMajora

Character Names: Sia Vin'Drahl, Klaus Hoffman, Raelyn Vargas, And one round of a Vox named Guyman Baldhead or Kah

Species you are applying to play: Skrell

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Teal/Light Blue

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: When I think of Skrell I think of a race of intellectuals who pride themselves on their technology and development. In that way my character is fascinated with the social, biological, and psychological differences of the other species in relation to his own. Skrell are also interesting to play due to their different stance of love, being that it is more out of nessessity rather than some sort of strong bond forming between the two partners. With the Skrell's intellect in mind I decided to make a character based upon the ideologies of Abathur from Starcraft 2 and Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen in that they seem to view everything as a big picture of biology, social structures, and psychology driven by biology.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: The main biological differences between skrell and humans is that skrell have low sexual dimorphism and complete gender equality. They also are able to breath underwater as well as prefer soft foods and do not eat meat due to their digestive system. Skrell also do not make as much facial expression with their eyes due to a black layering that allows their eyes to see underwater. Another difference would be their skin as it is more slimy and slightly translucent compared to other species. The headtails of the skrell also make it so that most headgear is uncomfortable unless specifically designed for headtails.

Character Name: Alexander Simmons

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs Alexander Simmons was raised by his father in a wealthy lifestyle due to his mother dying later after the childbirth due to illness. His father was a rather influential figure in genetics and biology as well as a firm believer on evolutionary principles which he in turn taught to his son from an early age. Alexander grew up believing that everything was based on the basis of evolution, psychology, culture, and biology based on traits being passed from generation to generation and selective breeding. This view was carried on to adulthood in which he followed after his father's footsteps after he passed away, not only becoming proficient in genetics, but also anatomy, psychology, and Xenobiology. With these different skills in hand he wished to leave for a career in a place where he would be able to further study the other species he had learned about so much from his father and his works. He chose the human name Alexander as it allowed for an easier pronunciation than his Skrellian name as well as choosing a name of which he believed seemed to signify intellect. Gaining a job aboard Nanotrasen research stations as a way to not only earn money to sustain himself and research, but also to study the various crewmembers around him. Alexander has also done modeling work for WetSkrell.nt as a way to earn additional profit as well as study the sorts of people who view the material due to his interest biological stimulants, it's a win-win for him. Because of his job in the modeling industry and his belief that the strongest traits should be passed on, Alexander attempts to keep his body in a fit physical form as much as possible, considering that to humans muscle density is attractive due to the fact that the human mate would be able to most likely defend a child better or pass on stronger genes, though he doesn't understand how humans find him attractive as they have nowhere close to similar reproductive systems... he'll probably study that later. Though he likes to keep himself fit, at the same time he has a large distaste for violence, finding it primitive. Alexander is rather cold on the exterior, seeming to be the one who is silently judging your personality, likes, dislikes, and relating them to your species and biological traits to see what sort of patterns form that he can use in his research.

What do you like about this character? The best part about the character is that he views everything as a result of biological factors. One example of his thinking is that maternal traits are a biological way of ensuring that the offspring of the species is protected so that it can mature and continue the species, maternal instinct setting off stimulie in the brain which in turn causes a pleasant feeling when being around one's child. Alexander also constantly observes those around him and studies them trying to make theories on why people do certain things and how it affects others around them. Because of this people tend to dislike him at times as he is willing to point out potential flaws as merely a scientific observation when in fact it may be offensive to the one he points it out to. An example would be if he points out that obesity in humans is a feature that detracts from the overall attractiveness of the individual, thus lessening their chances of reproducing and thereby safeguarding the gene-pool of the species from any traits that would cause obesity as it is a negative trait of the species. This would likely upset the person who is obese, but it would not be his intention, merely an observation... of course he would then study why the person got upset from his response. Perhaps speaking of obesity as a negative trait evokes a negative response because it points out a defect that will not allow the obese person to be able to feel the stimulant of reproduction and thus results in aggravation. Because of his view on the world, Alexander is often a very cold, calculating person that appears to have lost touch with social normality. He dislikes debates over ethics as he sees that it is not his problem and that it only impedes research in certain fields, though it all comes down to who is higher up on the social ladder to create the rules and for him to follow them so long as they allow the continuation of his work. Alexander is an atheist, believing that those who believe in their own gods are constricting themselves to a moral code that can impede evolution, though at the same time he does find that it allows for order and society to flourish that there be order. He also views humanity's oversexualization as a negative trait in the species, stating that due to the increased sexual drive there is less planning put into the creation of offspring, often resulting in them being created in environments that limit its potential and therefore the potential of the human race. As such he finds it entertaining to exploit such drives by modeling for WetSkrell.nt as a way to make money and study humanity.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I would rate my roleplay as rather well in that my prime focus is that of developing a character rather than just trying to win the game (examples would be being afraid of an antagonist, not running up and bashing it with a crowbar). I find that roleplaying a well-designed character is entertaining in that you get to play as something you would never be able to do in the real work. My example here is trying to roleplay someone who is rather detached from his humanity (or rather skrellmanity) and views everything in patterns between species trying to make sense of it all.

Notes:

I spent two hours on the first draft only for the forums to automatically log me out and destroy all my progress because I wanted to preview it.

Also here is a picture of what Alexander looks like: http://i.imgur.com/oZzWRZ2.jpg

Most of my interactions with OneWingedMajora were fun and really pleasant in the rp aspect of it, so they are a capable roleplayer. Besides that, we need more skells, and the character proposed in the application is also an interesting one, mostly because I like when the species characteristics play an important role on it, like the skrell tendencies to rational and scientific thinking.

Majora RPed a vox character that was fresh, interesting, and entertaining Vox. He showed that he was capable of RPing a character with a clear thought pattern, a different culture, and an industrious attitude.

With all of this in mind, I have no doubt that Majora can make an interesting Skrell.

+1.