Holobooks

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Currently it's a little strange that in 2456 we're still using paper books for official manuals and documents when in the 21st century books are already being phased out and are only being used exclusively by people who prefer them over tablets and extremely slow to upgrade institutions.

My suggestion is that books are renamed "Holobooks" or "Holodisks", and act as a touchscreen tablet. This would consist of restricting them to make them look glass-y. This would also explain why some manuals are tactile; you're using the holodisk to sift through the station's intranet. You wouldn't have to edit their ability to be written in, since we can already draw on our smart phones with the little drawing apps. (And some sci-fi magic could explain why we always write such perfectly legible letters.)

I've not spent much time in the library, but it does feel out of place and in need of a redesign. I'd rank it low priority though, and I know a completely new map it in progress so the developer can just take this as suggestions for the new design.

Scrap the book shelves, replace them with more visitor terminals and call it the 'Info-Storage'. Allow the terminals to accept papers to add to their accessible database, maybe even with ID swiping to classify documents

It'd be great if the place came pre-stocked with some 'books', like all the training manuals splashed around the map, or some information on the races and creatures you may encounter, like slimes. Not too much, just things that are likely written up elsewhere and copy/pasted. Very vague information on known Xenos could be added as well, but restricted.

I've not spent much time in the library, but it does feel out of place and in need of a redesign. I'd rank it low priority though, and I know a completely new map it in progress so the developer can just take this as suggestions for the new design.

Scrap the book shelves, replace them with more visitor terminals and call it the 'Info-Storage'. Allow the terminals to accept papers to add to their accessible database, maybe even with ID swiping to classify documents

It'd be great if the place came pre-stocked with some 'books', like all the training manuals splashed around the map, or some information on the races and creatures you may encounter, like slimes. Not too much, just things that are likely written up elsewhere and copy/pasted. Very vague information on known Xenos could be added as well, but restricted.

This I like. Especially the card-swipping part appeals to me, for some reason.

But then, for this to have some actual practical use in RP would probably require amounts of preparation that might or might not be in terrible disproportion to the fun gained.

(but then AGAIN, perhaps -among the books uploaded by players- quite a bit of the lore could be accessible this way?)

• 1 year later...

0EmexK3.jpg

I RISE THEE FROM THE DEAD BECAUSE THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY BE A THING. Sorry I swear I'll never do this again

No, really. Maybe replace the bookshelves with some holo-archives of sorts. Still sorted by genre, with the ability to...

A: Pick up a pad or reader of sorts somewhere else in the library to be able to scan and download a copy of a particular book

B: Download to PDA?

C: It spits out a copy of the holobook. Which is really just a kind of futuristic looking space-scifi book, or maybe a glass slate that can be "swiped" to turn the page. There's a lot of potential here and this could be so cool for Aurora if it made it to a fully fleshed-out idea.

The librarian can stock titles into the database for people to remotely check out, maybe. The library can be turned into more of a chill common area, the same dim atmosphere, maybe more chairs and tables. Still has a bookshelf or two for things like manuals and hiding the mutiny authentication disc in a hollowed out book bibles?

I don't want to make an already under-appreciated job totally derelict, is the issue.