Security station bounced radios

The lancer

When comms are down, its already difficult to cummunicate, but far more difficult for security, as talking in the public radio may leak sensitive information. That could be solved with station bounced radios with the security frequency. That will make security's job easier when comms are down and it seems like a thing NT would do, as security is an important department.

that'd be cool

be able to pop a key into a radio and give it access to a department. Useful for both antaging and in emergencies

nope, because then we'd have nosy self-antagging shits poking into comms they don't belong to.

I'm against this idea, as you can already organize your department to switch to a specific comms net when your standard one is compromised or all communication nets are down. RP to fix your problems with existing items rather than asking for items to make your job easier.

Fixing your problems with existing items isn't "RPing," it's jury rigging a mechanical solution. As it is, self antagging shits can already disassemble headsets and insert whatever stolen encryption keys they like.

And nukeops already come with a listen-all headset do they not?

Wizards can just, from their station, teleport into the Captain's quarters and use their magic to open the locker to get to the captain's headset inside.

'Lings can, with some trickery, eat their way to a desirable headset.

Ninjas I don't know, never played them.

Point is, any antag with a screwdriver can easily access even the Captain's shit.

Aside from wizards (who have the immense power to do pretty much anything), it's relatively challenging and risky as an antag to steal access to specific radio frequencies. I'm not sure if we want to make it easier or not, but in general, the game is stacked against antags and it would be nice if they could receive a buff in the form of being able to read their opponents better.

However, this suggestion thread wants to address a specific problem: that it's hard for security to communicate when comms are down. And given that comms pretty much get taken down to hamper security, removing that seems counter-productive.

Here's my question: why is this preferred to the present system? The bounce radios can already be given a custom freq, and any HoS can include a line of, "Use this frequency when comms are down," in their standard briefing.

In my mind, the tools to solve this problem already exist. Making it easier would add so very little. In fact! Making it easier would remove depth.

The bounce radios can already be given a custom freq, and any HoS can include a line of, "Use this frequency when comms are down," in their standard briefing.

And any head of security who doesn't prepare for these possibilities is gonna have a bad time.

Yup! And that's their choice!