Serv's Moderator Application

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: Serveris6

Character Name(s): (Those currently active) Aiden Taryk, Vur K'rlislav, Leo Wyatt, Eris Reed, Razzan G'rrsi, Misilithais Uaekis, Praetorian, Calvin Miller, (L/)Tpr. Fitch

AI Name(s): ntOS

Preferred means of contact: Skype, Steam

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time

When are you on Aurora?: Whenever I have time; it varies in accordance to work and school. If any particular time is needed, I can probably be flexible enough to fill it.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Running on nearly six years now.

How long have you played on Aurora: One year, two months.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: Enough to code them, and read the code for them. A little over half of my total SS13 experience has been based off of a baystation platform. I understand all the departmental mechanics with full confidence.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: Yes. I was a former Primary Administrator (This would have been the equivalent rank in Aurora's ranking system) on the D2K5 server, roughly three years ago.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:No, never.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I play it because I enjoy the community, and it gives me something quiet to do in the evenings. I do it because I enjoy it as a whole.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I play on Aurora for the same reasons stated in my previous application. I enjoy the community, and out of all the other SS13 servers I have accustomed to over the years and spent my time, I feel Aurora has had the most constructive energy put into it, and believe it is much more fun because of this. The lore is excellent, and the staff are friendly. Generally a very positive place to be, most of the time.

What do moderators do?: Moderators are expected to moderate the community. Resolve conflict, and mediate issues in an official capacity. Act as a representative of the server, and ensure that OOC rules are being enforced properly and fairly. Provide positive feedback where needed.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To be a moderator on Aurora would be much the same as to be a moderator as I have described them above. An Aurora Moderator would be expected to maintain some degree of professionalism in handling issues, and also ensure that any issues they are charged with mediating be done so efficiently and in the most fair way possible for all involving parties, with as much patience as whatever the problem may require.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I'm attempting to wean more towards actively assisting the server's staff while I'm actually online the server, because as it turns out, working outside of the server (as in, through dev work or assisting the lore team), is difficult due to the fact that I can usually only work when I am online, and whilst online, I would normally be playing on the server anyway. Multiple admins, retired and otherwise, have requested that I apply for a moderator position due to a large portion of enforcement staff having recently been retired, and I am willing to answer their calls and provide assistance.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I am capable of analyzing a problem, and then working out a practical, logical approach to handling it. I pride myself in being a very logic-heavy thinker, and do enjoy investigative work. I have no qualms devoting time and energy towards solving disputes between the community in an OOC atmosphere, but would rather do it whilst I am on the server, whilst also providing feedback where it is requested. I am capable of calmly explaining a problem to people, and prefer to explain to them why it a problem, rather than outright punishing them for it. I much prefer a policy of explaining why what someone did needs improvement, rather than simply punishing it for them and moving on. I personally feel this is the best way to rehabilitate and ensure the issue will not occur again in the future.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Stress is something that I can easily handle through an online medium. Insults and the like over the internet have never bothered me. Being patient, I've found, is the best way to handle all three of these items.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Edited by Guest

Echoing thoughts left in my application:

Unless they decide to make you one, being a Server Moderator on top of a Coder means you would be an Admin except in name, which may not be ideal or even allowed - your app may be invalid because of it.

That being said, +1.

I enjoy your presence as a player, and I particularly like Praetorian. You're a good person and with the training I don't doubt you'd be a decent moderator.

He, nor any other coder, have their verbs anymore because of fantastic misunderstandings. So even if this were to be accepted, he'd have the power equivalent of a moderator, and not as a coder alongside that.

Interview:

Moderator PM to-Serveris6: So, situation one. You are a trial mod. Somebody joins with name Obama, bald assistant, 30 years. What would you do?

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): PM them, inform them that they are currently in violation of the name rule (concerning famous persons, meme culture, modern day celebrities, etc), and ask them if they have any other preference that falls within these guidelines that they would like this changed to. Await response.

Moderator PM to-Serveris6: Alright, second situation. Nuke round. You see a QM equipped with weapons rushing to the nuke ops and killing 3 of them. A nuke op ahelps about the QM. What would you do?

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): PM the quartermaster, wind them if they chose not to reply, or continue attacking people. Ask them why they're carrying so many weapons, and why they are actively engaging nuke ops. Inform them that a QM attempting to do so is violating rules. Consult their player notes for further actions. If no player notes suggest further actions (IE, ban on next offense of an incident such as this), apply warning.

Moderator PM to-Serveris6: The QM responds. They say it's because they are tired of the nuke ops and he wanted to end the round.

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): Inform them that this is still a violation of the rules, and ask them if they have bothered to read them.

Moderator PM to-Serveris6: Alright, last situation. A player ahelps that he was permabrigged for no reason. What would you do?

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): Respond to said player, ask them if they were read any charges, and which officer(s) handled them. PM The Head of Security (or highest command figure associated with security), and ask them if they were aware of the sentence, and what they have supporting it.

Moderator PM to-Serveris6: Alright, a final question. If you were a staff member. Would you change something? Policy wise. Would you make something different? Different rules, staff policy, etc.

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): I wish staff were more willing to take action against, 'distinguished community members.' Like, people that have been here for say, six months, seem to get away with an incredible amount of shit, but are never actually banned for any of it, from what I've seen.

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): Whereas a new player would probably be banned immediately for the same thing.

Duty Officer PM from-Serveris6/(Vur K'rilisav)(?): This would include due to actions on the forums and the server, naturally.

• 1 month later...