[Accepted]Lohikar's Head of Staff Application

BYOND key: lohikar

Character names: Riley Finlay

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: About 3.5 months.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I want to try my hand at a leadership role.

Why did you come to Aurora?: A friend who plays on the server wanted me to play on a public server, and I liked the idea of heavy RP.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay is about putting yourself in your character's shoes, acting as they would in fictional situations; Roleplay should be about acting realistically, while remaining fun and interesting. Roleplay should involve building up new friendships between your character and other peoples' characters, having your character develop and grow as a person.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

Heads of staff resolve disputes between characters within their departments, provide guidance to their department, as well as acting as a role model for other players. They should help new players learn their department and the game in general, show other players how to RP in a way that's believable yet entertaining.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Whitelisted players are role models to other players, showing how they should act ICly and OOCly by following rules, demonstrating quality RP, and not behaving in a way that leads to unpleasant or boring gameplay.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Riley Finlay

Character age: 43

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Riley was born on August 14th, 2415 in Olympia, Mars. His father was employed by Einstein Engines as a researcher working on improving the efficiency of the company's bluespace engines. Riley's father encouraged Riley to study engineering, in a hope that he would follow in his father's footsteps.

After graduating high school with good grades, Riley was accepted into the NanoTrasen Engineering Apprenticeship program, with which he remained for one year before he left to continue his education. After several years of study, Riley graduated from the Olympia Institute of Engineering with a doctorate in engineering.

Shortly after finishing his education, Riley's father was involved in an industrial accident in which he was exposed to high levels of radiation, putting him out of work indefinitely. In order to keep the family afloat, Riley's father put him in touch with NanoTrasen recruiters, who offered him a position at NanoTrasen as an engineer on their various stations and facilities. Riley signed the contract, and started work aboard a smaller refueling outpost for a bit. After spending a year at the fueling outpost, Riley was transferred between several outposts, stations and facilities before finally ending up on the NSS Exodus.

What do you like about this character?:

Riley is cautious, and tries to be a voice of reason in a department notorious for ignoring regulations and common sense. He sticks to his beliefs, and doesn't often act without first thinking things through.

What do you dislike about this character?:

Riley is often too cautious, and as such is not often thrust into dangerous situations. As such, he often is not affected by antag actions, besides having to assist with cleaning up the aftermath.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

Riley has a doctorate in engineering, and 10+ years of engineering experience, as well as having experience as interim chief engineer a few times. He adheres to regulations in all but the most extreme of situations, and is level-headed.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: 8/10. Reactions to traumatizing or horrific events could be improved, but interaction with coworkers is good.

Extra notes: None.

EDIT: Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Guest
Guest Complete Garbage

Finlay is an exemplary character, and what I feel is an example of what most wngineers should be--

He's level-headed, able to solve problems and improve the station(as evidenced by his work in atmospherics), and willing and able to get shit done.

Absolutely +1.

Finlay is one of the exceptionally competent engineer's/atmospheric techs who actually know quite a bit of the minor details of the role that many others often overlook. Character wise, I think he would work well as Chief Engineer, he's one of those characters who can sort of fall into the background, you won't often see him fucking around, but he does his job, and well. Definitely someone I look for on the manifest when deciding what character to play.

Basically, he'd make a good fit and I'm happy to see he's still around. +1

Ayyy, that's Riley, the guy that alway help my Helmut rebuilding the genetic lab

More seriously:

He's been sometime promoted as Interim CE, and did a real good job coordinating engineers (even the catgineers !) so they don't end up blowing the station.

Not only he is competent, but he get the job done (He even change the "automatic" valve in atmos by a manual one, you know, to avoid ":b releasing phoron")

Lohikar is my man. I convinced him to get into a real roleplay experince by joining Aurora and have been pushing him to apply for head of staff for a long time.

Through the time Riley has been developing as a character I have had many experiences with him between my characters. Riley is an example of an engineering employee I could actually imagine Nanotrasen hiring. Through his time on the server I have seen him constantly prove his competency and ability to learn and improve. Riley would be an excellent character to see as a full time CE, and I am sure any future characters would be an excellent addition to the environment. Riley does so many things right that half the whitelists can't be arsed to do or play properly.

+1 from me all the way.

Riley is an excellent character who demonstrates competence throughout every shift. He is definitely deserving of a CE position, and is one of the few crew members I know I can count on (OOCly and ICly) to do their job consistently, regardless of round type. Consistently demonstrates knowledge of more obscure parts of engineering, and someone I have learned a lot from, even with my extensive atmos experience.

Lohikar and his character have my +1. Hope to see him on shift soon.

Despite a relatively low play time, Lohikar's skill at engineering and atmospherics exceeds that of most players, maybe all of them. He has, time and time again, proven his worth as an exceptional member of the engineering staff. I feel bad for antags who would try to sabotage engineering under Riley Finlay's watch. His fancy redundant atmos systems, creative engine design, and overall exceptional engineering skill make the department run better then ever before, even in the face of any adversity. When he has to, he will give orders or suggestions that are timely and relevant.

There is no question, this guy was better then half the CE's I see when he had only been playing a month. Now he's one of the best.

He roleplays well too. Whats not to love?

I'll have to get some face time before I endorse.

Okay, following an IC interview on information, I found his judgement to be on the cautious side and he's knowledgeable about the subject at hand. I'd be happy to see him as Chief.

+1

Edited by Guest
  • 3 weeks later...