[Accepted]Chada1's Skrell Application

BYOND Key: Chada1

Character Names: NT-A 486 (Station-bound Android), To Journey Past the Known (Janitor/Cargo Tech), Warmth of a Candlelight (Chaplain/Lab Assistant). In order of most played. Also my signature, but I only really play these.

Species you are applying to play: Skrell.

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Don't know the color schemes, but probably blue or white.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes. Up and down, at least three times.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: While a Skrell is not the same as a Synthetic, they are highly logical in action. I've had tons of experience with that style of character, through my Android (The Cyborg alt-title), NT-A 486, which never does anything on a whim. I enjoy that type of character, I enjoy it a lot. However, a problem with NT-A, which wouldn't be a problem with Skrell, is that Skrell wouldn't be bound by a Lawset, and thus could retain a lot more depth with logic on a round-by-round basis with none of the Roboticness. As for why I want to play this specific species past basic characterisation? As someone who's played as an Android almost exclusively, and will continue to play a ton of the Cyborg job, also playing a race that is almost purely Anti-Synth is very ironic, and I want to do it. I can see myself only really playing a single Skrell, at the moment, but I want to try to Really bring them to life. Plus, when I began writing this Application I didn't know a whole lot about Skrell, now that I know a lot, I really like them.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: The differences between Humanity and Skrell are actually massive, Humans are alot more diverse, and a lot more prone to internal struggles and conflict. However, I understand that the Skrell also aren't exactly a single archetype or stereotype, despite what people say, and despite the fact that i'm applying for a Scientist. (A Stereotype.) Roleplaying a Skrell is very different, you could be expected (I will hold myself to this, but frankly, I don't believe you are expected to do so.) to justify and have defined reasoning for most everything you do. For instance, a Human may say something they don't mean when angry, while a Skrell could, they aren't likely to do so, they'd be more likely avoid speaking to that person, until they stopped being angry. Both to save face, and to avoid 'being wrong'. On that note, Skrell are noted to have issues displaying emotion to other Species on the same level of their own, I think I can portray that through awkwardness, stares, and much more emotionally open speech in Nral'Malic than in Basic. Pretty much, I understand that to play a Skrell, you may have to RP introversion in Basic and extroversion in Nral'Malic. I'm okay with this, and will try to incorporate it actively. To expand further on Biology, I don't believe there's that much Biology unique to the Skrell that will come up in gameplay and roleplay, I mean they're massively different from Humans, it just doesn't come up. The subject of this question is the difference of roleplay between the two species, and I just don't see most of it coming up outside of conversation. But two solid aspects I know you would be expected to roleplay and would come up are the lack of teeth and potential discomfort with non-Skrell Headwear. For teeth, that is, instead of having teeth, Skrell have hardened gums. They'd naturally avoid food that could be hard, and since Human culture is filled with food like this, as well as Xeno-culture (Taj, Unathi) you can imagine life on a Human station would be a cautious one when it came to food. Not to mention the weakness to Animal protein which would only reinforce this. The Headwear is simple enough, to RP discomfort you just avoid Headwear that would be restricting and acknowledge it as restricting when you have to wear it, of course with considerations to your character, as well.

Character Name: Orbul Qablri'Tri-Qyu (Pronounced: Orbyule Qwahblureetryque)

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

(Note, if you want a more concise and less traditional backstory, refer to the Spoiler under the wall below.)

"Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2334 on a Jargon frontier world, alongside six other eggs, two of which survived the Genophage, the others being only further casualties of Glorsh-Omega. He was fostered by an Engineer and a Biologist, alongside a brother. They lived a relatively average childhood, going through basic Schooling in their small colony, however, eventually it would be time for the two to pursue a higher education. It was more than a little pressured, what with the GENOPHAGE and all of that. Both of them were forced to move to the inner-planets, specifically Jargon IV itself, to join a relevant institution for their desired Career paths. While Orbul would gravitate towards a Career in Archaeology and Biology, his brother would gravitate towards a more Technical education, eventually ending up as a competent Engineer, working in multiple projects. Orbul, with multiple colleagues, ended up in an interesting few projects as well, mostly in the domain of Archaeology. He would work closely with his fellows for many years, to catalogue and recover information from some of the many ruined cities that were lost to Glorsh-Omega. During this time, he began to grow an interest in one of the few similar losses that couldn't be catalogued and preserved. The colony and system of Tri-Qyu, itself. Orbuls interest in Tri-Qyu quickly turned into an irrational obsession. One that arguably consumed his life, for many many years. This is when he made the addition of 'Tri-Qyu' to his name. He tried fruitlessly to catalogue a similar amount of information regarding the lost colony, but there was just very little to be found. The entire colony and system had been destroyed. When the obsession faded, at the end of a twenty year timespan, his colleagues had already moved on from the project, their opinions of Orbul had been changed drastically, formerly a very practical and realistic researcher, he had spent too many years grasping at straws. Orbul, having moved on from his obsession, and no longer being a part of this Scientific project, returned to his previous institute, and pursued further education in Xeno-Archaeology, to complement Archaeology. After obtaining it, considering the ostracization by his colleagues, he sought out work elsewhere. Particularly, with Humanity, and away from those who had ostracized him. It's not that he disliked his own Species, the complete opposite is true, just that he had to distance himself from his old obsession, and that he was genuinely interested in Humanity and other Species. The ostracization did not help, however. He would link up with multiple Archaeological groups during the initial period of moving from Skrell space to Human space, but the destination is wholly the same, he ends up seeking work with NanoTrasen. He is especially obsessive about his current wild goose-chase for some obscure, theoretical Artifact."

The backstory, dated by the many, many years of this specific Skrells life, is below.

- 0-20

Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2334 on a Jargon frontier world, alongside six other eggs, two of which survived the Genophage, the others being only further casualties of Glorsh-Omega. He was fostered by an Engineer and a Biologist, alongside a brother. They lived a relatively average childhood, going through basic Schooling in their small colony, however, eventually it would reach a time for the two to pursue a higher education. It was more than a little pressured, what with the GENOPHAGE and all of that.

- 20-50

Both of them were forced to move to the inner-planets, specifically Jargon IV itself, to join a relevant institution for their desired Career paths. While Orbul would gravitate towards a Career in Archaeology and Biology, his brother would gravitate towards a more technical education, eventually ending up as a competent Engineer, working in multiple projects.

- 50-70

Orbul, with multiple colleagues, ended up in an interesting few projects as well, mostly in the domain of Archaeology. He would work closely with his fellows for many years, to catalogue and recover information from some of the many ruined cities that were lost to Glorsh-Omega. During this time, he began to grow an interest in one of the few losses that couldn't be catalogued and preserved. The colony and system of Tri-Qyu, itself.

- 70-90

Orbuls interest in Tri-Qyu quickly turned into an irrational obsession. One that arguably consumed his life, for many many years. This is when he made the addition of 'Tri-Qyu' to his name. He tried fruitlessly to catalogue a similar amount of information regarding the lost colony, but there was just very little to be found. The entire colony and system had been destroyed. When the obsession faded, at the end of a twenty year timespan, his colleagues had already moved on from the project, their opinions of Orbul had been changed drastically, formerly a very practical and realistic researcher, he had spent too many years grasping at straws.

- 90-110

Orbul, having moved on from his obsession, and no longer being a part of a Scientific project, returned to his previous institute, and pursued further education in Xeno-Archaeology, to complement Archaeology. After obtaining it, and considering the ostracization by his colleagues, he sought out work elsewhere. Particularly, with humanity, and away from those who had ostracized him. It's not that he disliked his own Species, the complete opposite is true, just that he had to distance himself from his old obsession, and that he was genuinely interested in Humanity and other Species. The ostracization did not help, however.

- 110-125

Orbul would link up with multiple Archaeological groups during the initial period of moving from Skrell space to Human space, but the destination is wholly the same, he ends up seeking work with NanoTrasen. He is especially obsessive about his current wild goose-chase for some obscure, theoretical Artifact.

As a distraction from the OVERLY work-related backstory (Yes, I realised.) here are some frankly hilarious Skrell traits that i'll almost certainly be incorporating into my character/characters.

1: Clever puns will have Orbul in stitches, due to the HUGE similarity to Skrell Infotainment.

2: He will speak overly to the point when speaking Basic/non-Skrell languages, almost comedically so. IE: "Greetings, writing my report. Haven't met many. Need any help?" However, he'll speak perfectly fine and even with very clear emotion when speaking Nral'Malic. IE: "Greetings, I was just about to finish my report, I haven't had an oportunity to meet many people around my work-place, do you need any help?" To the point that you would almost think they were separate people, despite having the same exact views. Introverted in non-Skrell, Extroverted in Skrell.

3: He is genuinely acceptive and appreciative of Dionae, going so far as to help them almost on a whim.

4: While he doesn't outright hate Synthetics, he does view them as a serious threat. He recognises through studies of history, that most Synthetics were 'friendly' and 'non-violent' until they were made to be otherwise, so he will be horrified of being around Synthetics consistently, even if he doesn't strictly 'hate' them. This is especially true in any round with a troublesome AI, as Glorsh was said to hack into Synthetics and replace their being with his, turning a friendly and safe Synthetic into a violent and dangerous one. (This is no excuse to valid and I won't use it as one. It's just a consistent fear I intend to play-up.)

5: He is a fan of art, further, he's a fan of culture. He's an Archaeologist first and a Biologist second, he wouldn't be likely to enjoy this profession much without liking culture. On that note, he would probably be studying Culture and the Anomalous properties of Tau Ceti while employed, though that's hardly his specialty.

What do you like about this character?: I like that he's obsessive. I like that he's genuinely eccentric. I like that through obsession, and despite his logic, he's also very irrational at times, even with his serious outlook on work. It makes him seem more 'Alive' to me. I like the fact that he's passionate about his work, something neither of my other characters are. My Android goes so far as to view their work as their reason for being and thus does it for mechanical "purpose", and not for any sort of appreciation of it. My Dionae places no value on their work (Literally shirking all responsibility in most cases, and helping people instead of working, hence Journeys low-level employment.) and is just trying to be helpful and find a place in Society. Neither of these are the same as Orbul, who is legitimately interested, fascinated and undeniably obsessed with his overarching goal. (Be it an unobtainable one or not) The funny Skrell character traits are great, too. I like that his easy obsession is a negative trait, one that has had negative impacts on his life, even. Other than that, I like that he, like most Skrell, has a logical mindset that is comparable to my Android.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?: Once I made a Dionae Application, I believe a year ago? I'm keeping the same comment I said there. I would consider it full of myself to rate my ability. (Please do not deny me over not putting a paragraph here. D:)

Notes: If you want to see the character, +1. Also, I would like feedback if you have any, and not just on my application, on my other characters, as well. As for Orbul... I know some of the stuff i've done in the background is a stretch, but ... I didn't want to be overly vague ... like in my last app (Which I was told was distastefully vague) so I just, kinda went big in comparison... I know i'm also not a very creative writer, I tend to detail things better over time, that said, I tried to put a lot of detail into this, and really like the direction it went, honestly. On that note, i'm not entirely sure if Skrell have last names, some noteable Skrell (IE: The Grand Councilor of Jargon) have a secondary name, so it lead me to believe they do. Confirmation on that would be nice, I might have to change Orbuls name if they don't.

Edited by Guest
Guest Complete Garbage

wow, fucking garbage, didnt put a paragraph in the 'rate your roleplay' section, -1

A solid application that demonstrates good understanding of species lore. Also, NT-A is one of the good synthos.

+1

1+ from me, while NT-A-1337 might trigger me at times for being useless. they are the most robotic, logical robot to have robotized his way into the station.

while i haven't interacted with the other characters, i can see the effort they put into roleplaying them, even though they're a very basic character they're neither bland nor snowflakey.

at the moment i dare say they're the best borg player

I have to say, this is one of the best squish apps I've seen. Orbul has an average, yet interesting life, and you have presented him as a very interesting, funny, and nuanced character. You have demonstrated a great understanding of the lore. I struggle to articulate just how much I like this character, and I shall enjoy playing alongside it.

All of my +1s.

wow, fucking garbage, didnt put a paragraph in the 'rate your roleplay' section, -1

A solid application that demonstrates good understanding of species lore. Also, NT-A is one of the good synthos.

+1

Thank you! I wasn't serious about the 'Rate your own roleplay' section, but you can assume the same rules apply there as in the other areas, so it made a good joke.

1+ from me, while NT-A-1337 might trigger me at times for being useless. they are the most robotic, logical robot to have robotized his way into the station.

while i haven't interacted with the other characters, i can see the effort they put into roleplaying them, even though they're a very basic character they're neither bland nor snowflakey.

I'm, frankly, better at responding to negative feedback than positive feedback, so I'll say thank you (Thank you) and hope that's enough, I definitely didn't expect that much praise...

borg player

"Alert. Unit 486 is an Android Unit. It is incapable of recognising implied meanings. Caution advised."

I have to say, this is one of the best squish apps I've seen. Orbul has an average, yet interesting life, and you have presented him as a very interesting, funny, and nuanced character. You have demonstrated a great understanding of the lore. I struggle to articulate just how much I like this character, and I shall enjoy playing alongside it.

All of my +1s.

Thank you, I was worried Orbul would seem... bare, and his life would feel entirely forced and arbitrary, i'm glad there's someone who thinks otherwise, because while it looked good in terms of what it was, I was having a very bad case of writer-fright when it came down to it. (That is, I was being overly critical of my own writing, very overly critical, you can get a hint of that in the note section.)

You god damned traitor, joining the Warbling side instead of the glorious Robotic Overlord side

And more seriously, Chada's playstyle of a robot is what we would expect from a robot, a cold, emotionless machine just doing work, and not yet another edgy sarcastic robot nobody asked for. So I'm sure he can play the organic version of said robot, an oversized squid-frog without emotion in an excellent manner.

Your characters are thought out very well, and this warbler is no exception. I wholeheartedly approve of this application. +1

Thank you, yes, but I also tend to overthink my characters far too much, so it's kinda a mixed blessing.

You god damned traitor, joining the Warbling side instead of the glorious Robotic Overlord side

And more seriously, Chada's playstyle of a robot is what we would expect from a robot, a cold, emotionless machine just doing work, and not yet another edgy sarcastic robot nobody asked for. So I'm sure he can play the organic version of said robot, an oversized squid-frog without emotion in an excellent manner.

Thank you! I'm going to try to add a lot more Emotion to my Warblers, the Emotionless thing is a stereotype and isn't actually true, it stems from their Emotion being harder to recognise and portray in Basic and other languages, so I Have to make them have a good bit of Emotion, if I do it right, they'll just have a very logical mindset and their Emotion will only be clear in Nral'Malic (Warble-speak, Skrellian).

It saddens me that I actually haven't interacted much with you in-game at all, looking at all the replies here you seem to be a great roleplayer. Part of the character story reminds me heavily of a particular game, but its good... So. +1
You still can, I play pretty often. The basic concept of the character (Before I expanded it) was just a Xenoarcheologist who is searching for a specific, obscure Artifact, (Comparable to the search for the Holy Grail in history, kinda, just without the religious significance) that happened to end up in employment with NanoTrasen. While it's unlikely anyone else will care about this search, it's significant to him. It was important to me that I made the characters 'Goals' only necessarily significant to him, and not significant to anyone else, to avoid the 'Snowflakey' effect. I still have another Draft to do if i'm accepted, the 'Records Draft' as I like to call it, where I finalise the details, but i'll only reach that stage if I get accepted, of course.

Love all your characters. +1
Thank you.

Loow here. Dropping off some feedback.

The dated section of the biography is largely a copy-paste of the body of text before it. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The large section definitely needed to be broken up, and marking each section with his age made it much easier to read.

The dated section does have a few differing details. The first one I noticed was a piece of conflicting information.

Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2334 on a Jargon frontier world... Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2445 on a Jargon frontier world...
You may want to double check one of those figures.
This is when he made the addition of 'Tri-Qyu' to his name.
This detail is just wonderful, and I appreciate its presence. I was going to ask when exactly he took the addition, but I see it's right here in the dated portion of his backstory. It makes sense that he would have taken that addition while still obsessed, and I'll leave it up to you to decide what this addition means to him now.

He was fostered by an Engineer and a Biologist, alongside a brother.
Out of curiosity, was this his own brother (the other egg) or an adopted brother?

You mention that Dr. Qablri'Tri-Qyu's life was essentially taken over by his obsession with the former Tri-Qyu star system. The way you spin it, this seems to have largely been a waste of time for the poor Skrell. What's more, it seems to have made him a mockery among his colleagues and friends.

Why?

What caught his attention?

What was he looking for?

Why did his colleagues exclude him?

I hope that you don't mind that I latched on to that little detail. It seems to be one that much of your character revolves around, so I figured I'd like to hear as much as I can about it from the writer's perspective. Please go into more detail about Orbul as a person. I'd eat that information up.

The basic concept of the character (Before I expanded it) was just a Xenoarcheologist who is searching for a specific, obscure Artifact, (Comparable to the search for the Holy Grail in history, kinda, just without the religious significance) that happened to end up in employment with NanoTrasen. While it's unlikely anyone else will care about this search, it's significant to him. It was important to me that I made the characters 'Goals' only necessarily significant to him, and not significant to anyone else, to avoid the 'Snowflakey' effect.

I'm glad I waited to see more information on this artifact. I appreciate your logic behind the significance of the artifact. You seem to be considering how your character affects other characters. That's good.

To answer your question, yes. You've done fine on the surname front.

I appreciate that you respond to feedback and I'm looking forward to seeing more discussion on this application. I'm a little worried, because it seems I'm the first one to notice that the character's birth year is different between sections of the application. I'd like to remind anyone reading that the best thing you can do to help an app is to foster discussion. Offering support helps, but it's much stronger if your endorsements offer more substance than just approval.

There is more to be said about this application and I look forward to seeing more discussion from the applicant and anyone who cares to comment on the app.

Loow here. Dropping off some feedback.

The dated section of the biography is largely a copy-paste of the body of text before it. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The large section definitely needed to be broken up, and marking each section with his age made it much easier to read.

The dated section does have a few differing details. The first one I noticed was a piece of conflicting information.

Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2334 on a Jargon frontier world... Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2445 on a Jargon frontier world...
You may want to double check one of those figures.

Corrected, 2334 was the accurate number, the figure in the main section.

This is when he made the addition of 'Tri-Qyu' to his name.
This detail is just wonderful, and I appreciate its presence. I was going to ask when exactly he took the addition, but I see it's right here in the dated portion of his backstory. It makes sense that he would have taken that addition while still obsessed, and I'll leave it up to you to decide what this addition means to him now.

Corrected the issues, the reason these issues were there, is because I didn't copypaste, I made additions to both of them separately, badly done on my part, I should've waited until the main story section was done and split it apart, but I kinda wanted to make sure both fit, and I did. Apparently with afew oversights. Added it to the main section as well.

He was fostered by an Engineer and a Biologist, alongside a brother.
Out of curiosity, was this his own brother (the other egg) or an adopted brother?

I would say it could be either, I don't think it's far-fetched at all with the Genophage around that Adoption would be popular, however the original 'foster' wording was actually not intended to appear like Adoption (I definitely see why it did, though. 100%, my bad on that one, I only meant he was raised, but it works both ways after examining it, humorously enough). But honestly I don't see any real reason to correct it, I think it's perfectly believable either way considering current Skrell issues and could make a more interesting family dynamic, though I doubt i'll go into that much detail at the moment.

You mention that Dr. Qablri'Tri-Qyu's life was essentially taken over by his obsession with the former Tri-Qyu star system. The way you spin it, this seems to have largely been a waste of time for the poor Skrell. What's more, it seems to have made him a mockery among his colleagues and friends.

Why?

Various reasons, but the main factor is that he spent a general 20 years obsessing over it, investigating it, and got very little from it. It's more of a plot-device to drive him forward in the writing, but if it's not possible? I could re-write some.

What caught his attention: I can only assume Tri-Qyu is significant to all Skrell to a certain degree. I don't believe it's common knowledge that Glorsh began there, but I believe it is common knowledge that he ended there. Not to mention, the entire Star System was lost to the Tri-Qyu Star going Supernova. Orbul up to this point had been Documenting similar cases of lost Colonies and Cities, it only makes sense to me that such an important case would catch his attention at some point, even if his obsession was noteably a bit too much. (That's intentional, as Dr.Qablri'Tri-Qyu is meant to be obsessive.)

What was he looking for: Anything, he was only trying to Document a similar level of accurate information as was being obtained for the other locations, and it proved impossible without direct access to the ruins of the Colony and Planet, which were now non-existent. Most of his findings I would assume were very skeptical shipments to, from, etc and not much else of any substance, to base any 'ground-breaking' Documentation off of. For him, it turned out to be dead-end research. This doesn't mean there factually was nothing, however, only that he didn't find it.

Why did his colleagues exclude him: He had changed. He was once a very practical and realistic researcher (As stated.), among other practical and realistic researchers. These researchers had a relatively grim focus in Archaeology, a more pleasant Skrell Archaeologist would probably choose anything but what they were Documenting, these were fresh graves (In relativity to the Skrell lifespan) and places of atrocities. I can only imagine they could have been a little cold regarding his irrational change of personality, but i'm only writing Orbul and didn't mean to write them. Orbul was making very little progress in his goal, he was, as stated, grasping at straws, and showed no intention of stopping, as most with obsessions do not. Even with Humans, that is a problem, and with Skrell placing such a big emphasis on not being wrong, I can only imagine it would get worse. I think it's honestly very reasonable that they would exclude him, as cruel as that may be.

I hope that you don't mind that I latched on to that little detail. It seems to be one that much of your character revolves around, so I figured I'd like to hear as much as I can about it from the writer's perspective. Please go into more detail about Orbul as a person. I'd eat that information up.

I don't mind, here are more personality details (And maybe afew previous ones) I don't want to literally confirm every little detail of Orbul, as I said in the notes section of my Application I do better at detailing things over time. This is more a proof of concept as well as an application for the species.

7 things I want to try on the character.

1: He's a huge fan of Infotainment, clever puns will make him lose it due to the ridiculous similarity. (Never seen a Skrell do this before, and I love the concept)

2: He likes Dionae a lot, because they're helpful, and the only race to be fully integrated into Skrell society. (Kinda a mostly normal Skrell thing tbh)

3: He Speaks basic in typical Skrell manner as written on the wiki. (I actually really like that speech style, with less buts/ands/ises, can be kinda hard to understand if i'm doing it correctly, and I hope I do it correctly.)

4: He hates being alone around Synths, because, once again, he views them as a serious threat. He can tolerate them but he is seriously uncomfortable with being alone around them for a prolonged period. Not many Skrell who couldn't tolerate them to an extent would work on a Human Station, so he has to have some tolerance, I'd imagine.

5: He will commonly document his findings via a Universal Recorder or similar means of record.

6: I don't know how he'll respond to human food, probably badly for awhile, even Skrell safe recipes. He'll probably stick to Skrellsnax for a bit.

7: I want to make him actually try to be social with his co-workers, even with his heavily accentuated basic.

(I think 1/3/5/7 would be great and the more unique things about him.)

All I can think to add past those is that I do know about the Qeblak and Weishii religions but I haven't decided which I would want to make Orbul yet, Qeblak makes more sense with the obsessionism, but Weishii sounds a lot more fun to roleplay.

I'm glad I waited to see more information on this artifact. I appreciate your logic behind the significance of the artifact. You seem to be considering how your character affects other characters. That's good.

I don't want my characters backstory to make assumptions on how other characters should act, it would be bad all around, for me and for them, I also hold the view that if my character depends on another character to reinforce their backstory, I wrote it very poorly. Also, the Artifact may not even actually exist, in that case he'd be searching for something that isn't there, Again. This is an intentional play on the characters story and past, I don't Want the Artifact to be significant, it's left vague so when he is digging and finds something, he can theorise on if X is the Artifact he's been looking for, ETC. Both gives me more room to roleplay, and adds more depth to the overall role. (Assuming i'm playing him as his main profession, Xenoarchaeology.) A significant character development would be to give up on the search for this particular Artifact (After being convinced it doesn't actually exist, as unlikely as this development would be), and by Skrell culture that would be very difficult to develop to.

I appreciate that you respond to feedback and I'm looking forward to seeing more discussion on this application. I'm a little worried, because it seems I'm the first one to notice that the character's birth year is different between sections of the application. I'd like to remind anyone reading that the best thing you can do to help an app is to foster discussion. Offering support helps, but it's much stronger if your endorsements offer more substance than just approval. There is more to be said about this application and I look forward to seeing more discussion from the applicant and anyone who cares to comment on the app.

I want people to criticise, I can't improve the character concept if they don't, or explain my reasonings behind how it is, please keep criticising. Edit: Made this post easier to read and less bloaty.

Edited by Guest

+1

All of my +1s.

Chada1 is awesome as a player, and I adore the RP I've had so far. The posted story was pretty fun, too.

Plus one for great warbles.

Your characters are thought out very well, and this warbler is no exception. I wholeheartedly approve of this application. +1

It saddens me that I actually haven't interacted much with you in-game at all, looking at all the replies here you seem to be a great roleplayer. Part of the character story reminds me heavily of a particular game, but its good... So. +1
Love all your characters. +1

Any further comment, preferably criticism, would be appreciated immensely, and help push the Application to a close, denial or approval. I would suggest asking me things about my character, or parts of my character, or asking me about specific aspects of Skrell, if you don't want to do just plain criticism.

Right, let's get this show on the road.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: While a Skrell is not the same as a Synthetic, they are highly logical in action. I've had tons of experience with that style of character, through my Android (The Cyborg alt-title), NT-A 486, which never does anything on a whim. I enjoy that type of character, I enjoy it a lot. However, a problem with NT-A, which wouldn't be a problem with Skrell, is that Skrell wouldn't be bound by a Lawset, and thus could retain a lot more depth with logic on a round-by-round basis with none of the Roboticness. As for why I want to play this specific species past basic characterisation? As someone who's played as an Android almost exclusively, and will continue to play a ton of the Cyborg job, also playing a race that is almost purely Anti-Synth is very ironic, and I want to do it. I can see myself only really playing a single Skrell, at the moment, but I want to try to Really bring them to life. Plus, when I began writing this Application I didn't know a whole lot about Skrell, now that I know a lot, I really like them.

The reasons are well enough, I personally from observations whether I'm playing or observing can understand the appeal they have to Skrell when placing their characters into consideration.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: The differences between Humanity and Skrell are actually massive, Humans are alot more diverse, and a lot more prone to internal struggles and conflict. However, I understand that the Skrell also aren't exactly a single archetype or stereotype, despite what people say, and despite the fact that i'm applying for a Scientist. (A Stereotype.) Roleplaying a Skrell is very different, you could be expected (I will hold myself to this, but frankly, I don't believe you are expected to do so.) to justify and have defined reasoning for most everything you do. For instance, a Human may say something they don't mean when angry, while a Skrell could, they aren't likely to do so, they'd be more likely avoid speaking to that person, until they stopped being angry. Both to save face, and to avoid 'being wrong'. On that note, Skrell are noted to have issues displaying emotion to other Species on the same level of their own, I think I can portray that through awkwardness, stares, and much more emotionally open speech in Nral'Malic than in Basic. Pretty much, I understand that to play a Skrell, you may have to RP introversion in Basic and extroversion in Nral'Malic. I'm okay with this, and will try to incorporate it actively.

This answer seems pretty spot on but on the same time, I feel like it touches on a small aspect of how Skrells are. Your answer on their mannerism is pretty good, you describe their speech and how they'd react to certain things. With that in mind, I still feel you could possibly expand on other points that the Skrell have, how about their biology? How about them in a collective sense? What kind of things of conclusions have you reached from say the news articles?

Character Name: Orbul Qablri'Tri-Qyu (Pronounced: Orbyule Qwahblureetryque)

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

(Note, if you want a more concise and less traditional backstory, refer to the Spoiler under the wall below.)

"Orbul Qablri was born in the year 2334 on a Jargon frontier world, alongside six other eggs, two of which survived the Genophage, the others being only further casualties of Glorsh-Omega. He was fostered by an Engineer and a Biologist, alongside a brother. They lived a relatively average childhood, going through basic Schooling in their small colony, however, eventually it would be time for the two to pursue a higher education. It was more than a little pressured, what with the GENOPHAGE and all of that. Both of them were forced to move to the inner-planets, specifically Jargon IV itself, to join a relevant institution for their desired Career paths. While Orbul would gravitate towards a Career in Archaeology and Biology, his brother would gravitate towards a more Technical education, eventually ending up as a competent Engineer, working in multiple projects. Orbul, with multiple colleagues, ended up in an interesting few projects as well, mostly in the domain of Archaeology. He would work closely with his fellows for many years, to catalogue and recover information from some of the many ruined cities that were lost to Glorsh-Omega. During this time, he began to grow an interest in one of the few similar losses that couldn't be catalogued and preserved. The colony and system of Tri-Qyu, itself. Orbuls interest in Tri-Qyu quickly turned into an irrational obsession. One that arguably consumed his life, for many many years. This is when he made the addition of 'Tri-Qyu' to his name. He tried fruitlessly to catalogue a similar amount of information regarding the lost colony, but there was just very little to be found. The entire colony and system had been destroyed. When the obsession faded, at the end of a twenty year timespan, his colleagues had already moved on from the project, their opinions of Orbul had been changed drastically, formerly a very practical and realistic researcher, he had spent too many years grasping at straws. Orbul, having moved on from his obsession, and no longer being a part of this Scientific project, returned to his previous institute, and pursued further education in Xeno-Archaeology, to complement Archaeology. After obtaining it, considering the ostracization by his colleagues, he sought out work elsewhere. Particularly, with Humanity, and away from those who had ostracized him. It's not that he disliked his own Species, the complete opposite is true, just that he had to distance himself from his old obsession, and that he was genuinely interested in Humanity and other Species. The ostracization did not help, however. He would link up with multiple Archaeological groups during the initial period of moving from Skrell space to Human space, but the destination is wholly the same, he ends up seeking work with NanoTrasen. He is especially obsessive about his current wild goose-chase for some obscure, theoretical Artifact."

I like this story, it's to the point, doesn't give out the entire autobiography of the character so it does leave some room for mystery for future interactions. I've always been a fan of IC mysteries that I can uncover myself through player interaction. I very much like the fact you focused on a very personal thing to Orbul here, I don't see many people with personal goals, be it feasible or not so this is a refreshing change of pace.

So in essence, most of the application seems solid to me and errors have already been pointed to you which I believe you've corrected. I kinda wish you'd expand a bit on the difference between Humans and Skrell a bit more but other than that this application gets my full support. I specifically like the timeline, gives an easy to understand and tl;dr version of the main story. Hope to see you warbling on in the near future. You get a +1 from me potential warbler.

Hey, Sharp. I've expanded the 'Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human' section on request to include more about Skrell Biology, for your convenience, i'll put the addition below.

To expand further on Biology, I don't believe there's that much Biology unique to the Skrell that will come up in gameplay and roleplay, I mean they're massively different from Humans, it just doesn't come up. The subject of this question is the difference of roleplay between the two species, and I just don't see most of it coming up outside of conversation. But two solid aspects I know you would be expected to roleplay and would come up are the lack of teeth and potential discomfort with non-Skrell Headwear. For teeth, that is, instead of having teeth, Skrell have hardened gums. They'd naturally avoid food that could be hard, and since Human culture is filled with food like this, as well as Xeno-culture (Taj, Unathi) you can imagine life on a Human station would be a cautious one when it came to food. Not to mention the weakness to Animal protein which would only reinforce this. The Headwear is simple enough, to RP discomfort you just avoid Headwear that would be restricting and acknowledge it as restricting when you have to wear it, of course with considerations to your character, as well.

Your answer on their mannerism is pretty good, you describe their speech and how they'd react to certain things. With that in mind, I still feel you could possibly expand on other points that the Skrell have, how about their biology? How about them in a collective sense? What kind of things of conclusions have you reached from say the news articles?

The reason I hadn't went into much detail regarding Skrell Biology and the Skrell in comparison to Humans, is that it's very hard I can imagine to roleplay the Aquatic nature of Skrell, when the ingame world only has water in two places. I just focused on what I knew I could detail and explain and what was 100% relevant to the roleplay differences between the two Species. There were afew things about their Biology that I knew had to be roleplayed, but I didn't actually think to put there, you gave me the idea and now i've listed them in the expanded bit. As for the Skrell as a collective? I gave as much information as I can really give about that, keeping the core subject of roleplay differences. I can give my opinion, which is that they have built up from the brink of destruction and I think that's pretty damn cool, as well as how they keep an optimistic view of most races, and will try to keep good relations so long as the feeling is mutual. But that's less on each individual Skrell and more on the Jargon Federation itself.

Oh, and a conclusion I reached after reading the news articles is the character might have been going a little too crazy on the accent, the wikipedia pages 'Example' isn't exactly how it is, it's just an example. I see that now. Still not that big of a problem, but it's relevant to your post, and something you helped me with.

I like the story, it's to the point, doesn't give out the entire autobiography of the character so it does leave some room for mystery for future interactions. I've always been a fan of IC mysteries that I can uncover myself through player interaction. I very much like the fact you focused on a very personal thing to Orbul here, I don't see many people with personal goals, be it feasible or not so this is a refreshing change of pace.

Thank you, I meant to leave a fair bit open so I could both develop the character further over time of playing them, give myself room to make changes if needed, and give myself room to roleplay them.

So in essence, most of the application seems solid to me and errors have already been pointed to you which I believe you've corrected. I kinda wish you'd expand a bit on the difference between Humans and Skrell a bit more but other than that this application gets my full support. I specifically like the timeline, gives an easy to understand and tl;dr version of the main story. Hope to see you warbling on in the near future. You get a +1 from me potential warbler.

With the expanded Biology, I hope it's a fair bit better than it was in terms of differences. Thank you for reading.

Loow here. I'm happy to see we got a little more feedback on this application. This application has sat quite long enough, so let's get it properly processed.

I appreciate how you've handled feedback as well as how you've approached making this character. You seem to have a strong concept in mind for how you want to bring this character to life, and your writing shows a genuine interest in your character concept. You've made yourself quite the road map here, and I'm interested to see how you would do while taking Orbul out for a spin.

I left a lengthy feedback post earlier in this application, and you've gotten even more relevant feedback since then. You've shown a level of interest in your design, the species, and rp overall that compliments the positive notes people have left for you quite well. It's only logical that you should be given the chance to bring Dr. Orbul Qablri'Tri-Qyu's meticulous, if not somewhat obsessive, persona to life on the station as he searches for his elusive artifact.

Happy hunting, Dr. Qablri'Tri-Qyu.

Application Accepted.

frog-photography-tantoYensen-25-5836fb9a2b054__880.jpg