More ballistic weapons or more energy weapons?

Guest 1138

Yeah, yeah, I know, "RP isn't about who has the most guns or the biggest guns."

But I'm kind of curious if we could use more variety in weapons for ERT/Nuke ops/Events/etc. More assault rifles, shotguns, SMGs, maybe an LMG or two, perhaps a conventional combustion marksman rifle, or perhaps more pneumatic weapons such as pipe guns and whatnot. Not the zip gun, though, that thing used to be horridly imbalanced because of, one, how good it was, and two, how easily accessible it was to make it.

I'd like to see a holster you can conceal and fits on your arm, with a derringer that comes out into your hand when you make a thrusting motion with your arm.

INCILzY.gif

Also, some ideas...

For traitors, a knockoff Uzi that fires 3 bullets in one click. Essentially a rapid fire gun with a high amount of "knockback" (screen shake)

I think security should get some ballistic pistols in the armory, like Stetchkins.

Also, one-use, makeshift guns that are dangerous to the user would be fun. Something like an air pipe packed full of lighter fuel and metal rods, or something- if it works, your target is skewered by pointy sticks. If it blows up, YOU'RE skewered and set on fire. Also, maybe a gun that you can make with some metal and an emergency air tank, that fires loaded metal bolts when you hand-pump it, but breaks after a while/can run out of pressure.

In general, I think lasers are boring and kill too quick. I'd rather we took them out of the armory entirely.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
Just sayin' but energy weapons are the primary weapons on the station in-order to prevent breaching the hull when you shoot Urist Mcbaddy.

Yes, but no one ever respects someone packing a gun that shoots rays of light that burn you.

I'd rather not breach half the station because the op is dancing around like we're in a bullshit Matrix bootleg and all my bullets are missing.

ICly, Ballistics should be cheaper to manufacture/purchase/distribute, and generally more reliable in combat due their immunity to EMP and ease of reloading. OOCly, they're generally more fun for antags (And Security) to use and require marginally more skill/aim than lasers. (Since you need to predict movement, and take your environment into account much moreso.)

All in all, Ballistic combat can be more fun than laser spam. Plus, our windows are reinforced well enough to take a bullet or two, and the walls are thick enough to eat anything that isn't explosive or a pulse beam. The safety worries should be mostly minimal. (Laser also break windows more efficiently than ballistics, when you aim them correctly, and can often shoot through a window unintentionally and hit a crewmember/computer behind it. They are not a truly 'safe' weapon on a station.)

Laser weapons pass through windows. Also, there's no real reason why a laser weapon should be more difficult to reload than a ballistic weapon. Furthermore, I see no reason why bullet spam is any different than laser spam, why bullet weapons require more skill than lasers mechanics-wise (I understand the idea, but the limitations of the game doesn't support the skill barrier currently. Bullets would probably travel just as fast as lasers gamewise. Maybe if we had huge open rooms this could be tweaked with, but you must remember this station is actually quite tight.

However, I personally would like to see perhaps plasma weaponry. I'm quite a fan of energy weapons.

Also, there's no real reason why a laser weapon should be more difficult to reload than a ballistic weapon.

A three minute walk to a recharger and being able to reload from a speedloader/magazine in the middle of battle is a fair difference considering this server hasn't implemented any sort of 'Charge Packs' for E-Guns/Lasers. Though those wouldn't be a terrible thing to add.

Furthermore, I see no reason why bullet spam is any different than laser spam, why bullet weapons require more skill than lasers mechanics-wise (I understand the idea, but the limitations of the game doesn't support the skill barrier currently. Bullets would probably travel just as fast as lasers gamewise. Maybe if we had huge open rooms this could be tweaked with, but you must remember this station is actually quite tight.

Gamewise, if you've gone between using a Laser Rifle and the Detective's revolver in the target range, you'll see it's present and noticeable enough against moving targets. It's typically less seen because more often than not people either stand still whilst fighting for whatever reason, or they're up against Nuke Op SMGs which just spray everywhere (Meaning your aim is slightly less important). The speed difference is roughly equivalent to the difference between the old tasers and new tasers.

If you really wanted to see a notable difference in skill requirement, you'd need a ballistic equivalent to the LWAP implemented. Alternatively, bullets could be realistically sped up to remove this slight skill barrier.

Laser weapons pass through windows.

And can (Albeit circumstantially) hit crew/computers behind said windows. This isn't a pure advantage, nor is it a pure disadvantage.

And how often are you near the void of space during a fight? Fights are typically in hallways, or the inner areas of a department. Occasionally maintenance. Only maintenance is liable to be breached and that's because people are purposefully breaking the windows there. The entire "Guns can break windows" strawman argument is providing a mechanic of the game as a bad thing, when it really isn't. It's a /feature/.

Just sayin' but energy weapons are the primary weapons on the station in-order to prevent breaching the hull when you shoot Urist Mcbaddy.

Yes, but no one ever respects someone packing a gun that shoots rays of light that burn you.

New plan,

Rename laser rifles into death rays.

Energy carbines become death carbines,

Rename lasers into just death beams,

Energy pistols become ray guns,

Pulse destroyers become Death Obliterators,

Laser Snipers become Deathbringers,

Heavy flashlights become heavy death wave projectors,

Flashbacks become death grenades.

Other then changing the name, nothing else changes,

FYI, plasma weapons exist.

They just are pretty rare and don't get used much.