Remove Firing Pins

Really, as the title says. There's not much to say about it. Pacman probably eats babies if he thinks this was honestly a good idea. It adds nothing to the gameplay and just incapacitates science's ability to actually experiment and have F U N by having to grovel to the Warden every round for firing pins. RnD building guns for nefarious purposes wasn't even an issue since it's so heavily dependent on mining, and is one of the perks of being an antag scientist/gaining control of RnD as an antag.

Okay, since I didn't fucking notice this thread before I finished typing my thread. I'll just copypate my thread here.

Alright we had our fun with this, but this has as of now become a problem.

Let me explain what the initial worry was.

1: "Science is just a gun department"

And as of now science has been "un-gunned", coders have removed quite a few of the old-style weapons like Advanced Laser Gun that used to grow in science like k'ois in botany. Instead we have modular guns, which are useless as of now because nobody in security is going to take a gun that MIGHT work instead of a gun that DOES work.

2: "Just get firing pins from security/cargo"

Security isn't going to give a scientist a firing pin. There are 0 reasons to do that outside of one isolated situation where a security officer somehow decided to take every firing pin from armory and literally every other security officer is dead, rest of armory was spaced and cargo has been discarded into space.

As I said, security has no reason to use the guns themselves, rather they'd just print slugs in science/cargo or use the plethera of weapons they already have and that work RELIABLY.

Cargo, *firing pins are EXTREMELY expensive and even then the nature of "no metagaming" means that you really don't have a reason to order pins that would allow you to use guns outside of the testing range. Unless you're a traitor at which point it is again easier, stealthier and faster to buy a traitor revolver.

MAYBE you'd be capable of getting firing pins during red, but at that point why not just use a two-step system and getting a contraband crate or autoshotguns if you're already getting weapons? Not only are they more effective but they are also guaranteed to work and are extremely lethal.

Solutions:

Yes I have multiple solutions, the title was bait.

1: Make modular guns have the option to add/not add a firing pin.

This is the best solution, for one people have a reason to ask a scientist "Hey, why don't you have a safety pin on this" making it easy to spot people who are making weapons for "just in case". Not only that but it actually makes these guns a viable option if the need would arise to defend oneself or if someone wanted to traitor with these.

2: Just remove them.

Yes.

3: Make firing pins more common.

Autolathe, Prolathe, Maybe a box in RD's office.

**make the cheaper in cargo

EDITS:

*re-worded the cargo thing, forgot firing pins weren't around before the cargo update

**added this

• Gem locked this topic