[Denied] Sjogras's IPC Application

BYOND Key: sjogras

Character Names: Wang Xiu Ying

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): I know I'm exempt, but if I had the option I would select grey or dark blue.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: I have read the IPC wiki page and all threads related to IPCs that were posted in the Lord Questions section of the forum.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I enjoy playing as synthetic characters. Mechanical synthetic characters being a favorite of mine.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Well, the difference really depends on what kind of IPC I would be roleplaying as. If I were to be playing as an efficient and industrial minded IPC, I would most likely be straight forward in speech and action and have few personality mannerisms, and, if I were to roleplay as a shell or similar, I would have to roleplay in such a fashion that preserved the nuances of what was essentially a robot pretending to be a human.

Character Name: LMB 51000

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

The design that will be the instructions for the manufacturing of my series was submitted by the design team of [REDACTED] at the epoch of approximately 14879180675. After verification by the manufacturing team, my series would go into production. My assembly was completed at 14898263462, and I was deemed complete by inspector B 12 at 14898263540. After receiving a figurative stamp of approval, I was put into long term storage along side many of my kind. At the date of [REDACTED] I was taken out of storage, packaged into a shipping container designed for dormant IPCs, and underwent a journey by ship to the station of NSS [REDACTED].

After docking at the station, I was promptly organized and grouped up with other IPCs, and we were collectively divvied out and assigned to various stations. I was assigned to the station named NSS Aurora, and I was directed into a cargo ship. Said cargo ship was routed to NSS Aurora. Upon arrival I exited the ship with the direction of a cargo handler, and I was approached by a human male dressed in blue who gave me my assignment. This assignment i have been working on ever since.

What do you like about this character? Blank slate, ready to be formed into something through experience. Like Chappie. You know, like from the flim titled Chappie.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I submit the rating of ERP out of Sentient character of George RR Martin.

Notes: Honk.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I enjoy playing as synthetic characters. Mechanical synthetic characters being a favorite of mine.

You may wish to edit this.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Well, the difference really depends on what kind of IPC I would be roleplaying as. If I were to be playing as an efficient and industrial minded IPC, I would most likely be straight forward in speech and action and have few personality mannerisms, and, if I were to roleplay as a shell or similar, I would have to roleplay in such a fashion that preserved the nuances of what was essentially a robot pretending to be a human.

This answer leaves a lot to be desired. There are more differences than just speech, and an industrial IPC can have the same amount of mannerisms as other IPCs, to my knowledge. Could you expand a bit more on the differences?

What do you like about this character? Blank slate, ready to be formed into something through experience. Like Chappie. You know, like from the flim titled Chappie.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I submit the rating of ERP out of Sentient character of George RR Martin.

And now I'm having a hard time figuring out if this app is meant to be serious.

= = =

The backstory tell us nothing about your character, or even what job they are intended to perform. IPCs do have personalities and unique features, even if they are mechanical. We need to see what sets LMB 51000 apart.

Given your "Why do you wish to play this specific race" answer and your story, I wonder if you wouldn't just rather play a stationbound cyborg. Why do you want to play IPC, specifically?

Also, this isn't the SCP wiki, you don't need to [REDACT] information.

Silly me, I thought the paragraph thing was just for the backstory, and writing in-between bouts of inactivity on SS13 probably isn't doing me any favors. Forgive me. I would like to say that I come from the school of thought that says if you answer the question, there's no need for more words, and paragraph requirements will be more harmful than good for your work in the end. Especially when you have to extrapolate on a question that can easily be answered with a simple yes or no, but are instead required to expand it out into multiple pages worth of words: often words of which lose their meaning or have their meaning so obfuscated that the reader no longer understands the message. In summary, I am vehemently opposed to such requirements in any form it may take in any media. Answer the question, nothing more, nothing less... But enough with my opinionated and arrogant pontification.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: The prospect of synthetic life has always interested me. I enjoy very much so thinking of the philosophical implications of it. Such as, would the life at hand have rights? Would they think they should? Do they dream of electronic sheep? Questions like this will keep a man up at night.

The IPCs seem to give me what I want. A race of synthetic beings that submit or cause the submission of these questions and conundrums. While cyborgs are simply human minds given a metal body; IPCs are purely synthetic. This also opens up a whole new realm of thought. Literal thought that is. As a new type of brain allows for new type of thought, and using our own thoughts to think about their thoughts is quite meta and fun.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human CONTD: Obviously all the... Well... Obvious differences shouldn't have to be addressed. I mean, they're completely synthetic beings, made of metal, and have electronic innards. What do you want here beyond what I already provided in the form of showing that I understand that the way they act can and should be wildly different from a human but also an imitation of it? Their level of outwardly socialization abilities can be anything from mouse droid from Star Wars to 2B from Nier Automata. To ask to identify how both those examples and everything in-between would RP, is madness, and I won't do it unless I'm paid.

What do you like about this character? He's a blank slate. Like the character Chappie from the movie also titled Chappie. He has quite a bit of potential in him, while also being naive and near new born like from the perspective of other IPCs and potentially humans too... Man I really don't know how I'm expected to make two paragraphs here of me essentially performing meta autofelliato on myself... He's an android and androids are cool? **** me. Uh... He would be a fun character to develop over the course of many RPing sessions? Also interacting with other more jaded people would be fun and interesting.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I would like to state that usually a rating is something like, "6/10" and not two paragraphs. Two paragraphs is a damn review, not a rating. Well, again, I don't like analyzing myself, but I would say my role playing ability usually involves me acting out a character who is super lawful good or super... Not... Lawful good? Or just crazy. But not in a murder boning way, but in a, "THE NSA IS ALWAYS WATCHING ME WORK OUT," way. In fact, I think the only thing I suck at is ERP, funnily enough. I would give myself a solid gentle harm baton out of honk.

And yes, this is a serious application, and we mustn't be disillusioned. This is indeed a game, and if we can't have fun, then what's the point? Honestly, I think an application for such a feature is quite unnecessary to begin with, and if one's willing to even go as far to fill out an application for such a thing in the first place, they're worthy of having it in my book.

And I respectfully disagree on your statement that my provided backstory gives says nothing. While it's not a special snowflake background that talks about how LBM is actually possessed by the killer of the murderer of his parents' cousin and an orphan, it says a lot about LBM. It says he's factory new, fresh, delivered to the station just recently. He'll be experiencing everything for the first time, learning as he goes in a naive fashion. The redactions are there because the exact information isn't important and is intentionally left to be open ended and adjusted as each new station shift demands, and what is deemed important, is clearly implied and understood by the reader: AKA he was indeed designed by a group, at a specific date after the modernization of IPCs, and was delivered to SS Aurora at a date proceeding such. Said date being undetermined and therefore being left up to shift specific needs again. Plus, giving away all the details of what I have in mind wouldn't be fun for me as a player, as what's the point then of acting out my character if everyone already knows everything about them?

Simply put, LBM is a fresh IPC. Ready to experience life as a synthetic and evolve naturally as his life on the station advances... Like all good characters, he'll have few predetermined traits and gain and reveal more and more as the story (in this case round or rounds) go on. The backstory implies all this. What do you expect me to do? Tell you literally everything about him? That's less of a story more of a profile.

As for your cyborg recommendation. They don't strike my fancy, as they're not supposed to be truly synthetic or have the capacity for such, nor do they have the capacity to easily be unbound by laws. Eventually, it would be nice for LBM to meet the qualifications to become free or at least be able to dream of such a day without repercussions administered by law. Additionally, I've already played cyborgs to death, and I want to move on to something a little bit different as I like them, but still want to remain in their realm of machine.

I wasn't trying to grill you for the paragraphs (Sorry if it came across as such); I just wanted to make sure you followed the requirements so your app would get a fair judgement. It's clearer now with your second post that you have an interest in the race and character, rather than just hastily putting up an app. I'd also like to point out going forward that I'm just a player like yourself, and you are under zero obligation to answer any of my questions if you don't feel like you want or need to.

What do you want here beyond what I already provided in the form of showing that I understand that the way they act can and should be wildly different from a human but also an imitation of it?

Generally this question is here so that lore devs can see that you understand that whitelisted races are not just humans with a different sprite, and that you're capable of roleplaying them as such. That's really all I was looking for you to clarify, as I wasn't totally sold that you understood this at first (I've never seen your character in-game or spoken to you OOCly, so I have to go based on what's written here).

Man I really don't know how I'm expected to make two paragraphs here of me essentially performing meta autofelliato on myself... He's an android and androids are cool?

Might just want to take a peek at other whitelisted apps to see what points they addressed about their own characters. There are plenty of points to address, and I mean there's no right/wrong answer. Could be that you love their flaws, are excited to see how they interact with others, you think they're fun... no shame in enjoying the character you wrote.

I would like to state that usually a rating is something like, "6/10" and not two paragraphs.

It's one paragraph minimum, not two, and I think this part is fine with a couple sentences. Again, it could help to look at other apps and see what people say.

it's not a special snowflake background that talks about how LBM is actually possessed by the killer of the murderer of his parents' cousin and an orphan,

Nobody was asking for this. Things do not need to be this extreme for characters to be unique and interesting. Blank-slate, naive characters are very fun to play, and I do understand this (That's how my pAI is). Let me ask, then: What job do you believe you'll be playing as LBM?

Additionally, I've already played cyborgs to death, and I want to move on to something a little bit different as I like them, but still want to remain in their realm of machine.

Cool, that's fair! Thanks for taking the time to answer that.

I think overall I'm remaining neutral on this app for the time being. Good luck!

Gonna -1 this for now. All the answers are average at best, nothing here is really interesting.

BYOND Key: sjogras

Character Names: Wang Xiu Ying

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): I know I'm exempt, but if I had the option I would select grey or dark blue.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: I have read the IPC wiki page and all threads related to IPCs that were posted in the Lord Questions section of the forum.

Okay so, I don't think I've ever played with you, so this is all based 100% on the application content.

You posted new answers to these in the comments, so I suggest you edit those in here. I'll respond based on those answers, however.

You want to play IPCs for.. pretty much the same reason as everyone else, but I know you secretly wanna join our sec-IPC powergaming club :)

As for your roleplay differences answer, I'd like you to expand on that more. Be more specific. That answer doesn't really show understanding of IPCs.

Character Name: LMB 51000

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

The design that will be the instructions for the manufacturing of my series was submitted by the design team of [REDACTED] at the epoch of approximately 14879180675. After verification by the manufacturing team, my series would go into production. My assembly was completed at 14898263462, and I was deemed complete by inspector B 12 at 14898263540. After receiving a figurative stamp of approval, I was put into long term storage along side many of my kind. At the date of [REDACTED] I was taken out of storage, packaged into a shipping container designed for dormant IPCs, and underwent a journey by ship to the station of NSS [REDACTED].

After docking at the station, I was promptly organized and grouped up with other IPCs, and we were collectively divvied out and assigned to various stations. I was assigned to the station named NSS Aurora, and I was directed into a cargo ship. Said cargo ship was routed to NSS Aurora. Upon arrival I exited the ship with the direction of a cargo handler, and I was approached by a human male dressed in blue who gave me my assignment. This assignment i have been working on ever since.

Okay, forgive my bluntness, but this backstory is bad. He was made then put on the Aurora? Okay? Who is he, what does he do, what's interesting about him? Does he have a real personality, or is he on the more robotic side of IPCs? What kind of frame is he? You can't [REDACT] information to switch his backstory/job every shift. That.. seems like what you said it was for, forgive me if I misread something.

Another one you changed in comments, going off that. He's naive. Okay? Expand on this with your backstory.

I can't testify to your RPing since I've never seen you ingame.

Praise the Almighty Honkmother.

[mention]Doxxmedearly[/mention]

Your authority granted by the server or lack of doesn't alone diminish or raise the quality of your opinions or points. I'll gladly address what you have to say as it's worth it.

Yeah, usually when there's an application process like this for RP roles, I like to go in blind. As in, not reading any other applications. I personally feel like it makes it too easy or may taint my thoughts too much. But it's definitely a good strategy if you're looking for an easy acceptance. I just want to be accepted purely for how I want to play an IPC character, not how others do, and I risk that principle even subconsciously whenever I read another application.

And sorry about the snowflake comment. I just hate it when I'm asked to give a profile on a character or force out a story for them for RP. Shouldn't the point of RPing be to play out the character and make the story for them through play? Predetermining the story before hand too much spoils the experience because their story would already be told. Setting ones character up for development as opposed to pre-developing them should be the way to go.

[mention]tbear13[/mention]

Okay, so my thoughts on back stories... For characters in novels, have it mapped out and ready to be shown but never written down plainly for the audience. For characters in DnD, similarly but keep it open enough to fill in details later to make sense of things such as initial arrival and other party members both of which are dynamic. For super dynamic and open ended games like SS13, nothing should be bolted down, everything should be flexible, and nothing set in stone. Why? Because the lore's always changing, every shift is different with different jobs needing to be done, and a static object in a dynamic world is boring compared to a dynamic object in a dynamic world. The current back story allows for flexibility in role play, flexibility in job assignment, and flexibility in evolving personality. So I would disagree with you if you said it was a, "Bad," backstory for SS13, but I would also disagree with you if you said it was bad for a novel or narrative, because look at Chappie. It's quite the moving story, and it follows quite the same path or setup/idea: new life dropped into an old world.

As for the differences... I find difficulty in this. They're literally an entirely different mind, unlike anything on Earth currently. They literally think differently than anything else, and that difference has to be accounted for as well as possible. To describe the minute details of the differences would be difficult. It's the sort of thing you know how to do in practice, but have difficulty putting into words. Like... What is the color blue? You know it when you see it.

... And I won't edit any more than I have, because I feel that's disingenuous to the actual process, and I don't really want to lose my first inputs, and I'm sure the reviewers would find them interesting or worth considering... Good or worse...

Well, that's quite the terrible/conflicting rule seeing as how SS13 is sorta based around being flexible in your roles and not always being able to play one job.

But that aside. I'll make it canonical that LBM is assigned to be an engineer upon arrival as to abide by the rule; however much I disagree with it.

... Again, that rule is incredibly baffling... Why? I can't reconcile this in my brain and the reasons given are insane to me.

I just want to note for you that this is also on the IPC lore page you agreed you had read:

Job restrictions

No more than two jobs can reasonably be undertaken by any IPC, with sparing exceptions (such as cooks/gardeners/bartenders, or xenobotanists/xenobiologists/lab assistant and so on). If there are questions involving this, either inquire with the relevant lore developer or ahelp in-game for clarification. All synthetics are manufactured for a purpose, and any modifications to their core programming to change this purpose would be costly, not to mention time consuming and often needless.

... Again, that rule is incredibly baffling... Why? I can't reconcile this in my brain and the reasons given are insane to me.

Because it would be incredibly strange to see an engineer be a surgeon on a different shift, and then a security officer, then a scientist, and then a psychologist. That's not how jobs work, that's not how people work, and this helps curb powergaming by not letting any character do any job with total proficiency.

It's important to note that you're not limited to playing one character. Want a different job? Make a new character. If you get a whitelist, it's not just for the one character, it's for the species as a whole. You'd be able to make as many IPC characters as there are jobs you're interested in.

I'm gonna +1 this because I can't wait to see where this goes. I'm going to take a few moments to make some guesses (And hopefully you'll humor them).

You mean for this character to find themselves through interaction with other characters. RP material confirmed.

You mean for this character to essentially assist with whatever is needed until they find the niche they most easily fit into. RP material confirmed, but it'll be different than cyborgs. People assume horrible things oocly about undepartmentalized assistants. I wish you luck.

It will be extremely enjoyable to see a character like this. However, I'd like for you to expand on the backstory just a smidge. The only real thing needed is how the quack they got onto the aurora in the first place. Something like "all of my kind were purchased by NT from [company] for [reason]" or something would suffice, I'm guessing. I do wonder what cake would think of this as a character idea. I already took note that you've read alot of the lore page, but I'm not the lore master, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Again, though. +1.

I'm gonna +1 this because I can't wait to see where this goes. I'm going to take a few moments to make some guesses (And hopefully you'll humor them).

You mean for this character to find themselves through interaction with other characters. RP material confirmed.

You mean for this character to essentially assist with whatever is needed until they find the niche they most easily fit into. RP material confirmed, but it'll be different than cyborgs. People assume horrible things oocly about undepartmentalized assistants. I wish you luck.

It will be extremely enjoyable to see a character like this. However, I'd like for you to expand on the backstory just a smidge. The only real thing needed is how the quack they got onto the aurora in the first place. Something like "all of my kind were purchased by NT from [company] for [reason]" or something would suffice, I'm guessing. I do wonder what cake would think of this as a character idea. I already took note that you've read alot of the lore page, but I'm not the lore master, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Again, though. +1.

Now, I usually would agree with you, a character who bounces around until they find a nice fit for them is pretty good usually, but that just doesn't work for IPCs. IPCs are purpose-built, made to fit a certain role. They're physically incapable of knowing more than a few jobs, and are *very* expensive.

Again, though. +1.

Now, I usually would agree with you, a character who bounces around until they find a nice fit for them is pretty good usually, but that just doesn't work for IPCs. IPCs are purpose-built, made to fit a certain role. They're physically incapable of knowing more than a few jobs, and are *very* expensive.

That's the point here. The purpose was lost after [company] went out of business. They don't know] anything. At the moment, that purpose is probably 'maintain station' but with no clear guidelines as to how.

• 2 weeks later...

Application and attitude are very concerning for me right now. I do not doubt the RP potential here, but... I don’t know, you don’t really seem like you genuinely want this whitelist out of legitimate interest. I could be wrong, but you’re tearing it down with all these personal gripes, and didn’t even seem fully aware of all the small details. Are you genuinely interested in getting this whitelist?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Sorry for the wait, but Cake has been extremely busy lately and as a result I'll be handling this.

Disregarding entirely what Cake asked of you two or so weeks ago, the application alone is pretty poor. It seems very lazy as you've effectively replaced any creative effort you could've made with either [REDACTED] or a series of random numbers. On top of that, some of the questions outside of the character's story clearly aren't serious, nor does it seem you hold genuine interest in this whitelist. The additional posts you've made do not contribute in making the application acceptable. As a result, I'm going to deny this application.