[Accepted] Doxxmedearly's Vaurca Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: Doxxmedearly

Character Names: Sikaevi Suhn’Krashzkrikh, Rowan Fortune, Sazya Xichi, Nahjiya Khayaram, Kizikh Guwan, Mehreen Al-Dimashqi, HARPI, full list in sig.

Species you are applying to play: Vaurca

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): RGB 55,0,120 (Unbound of Xetl'jyatk)

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes + The Hives and History Pages + Talking to P-dox

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: P-Dox won’t stop BUGging me Recent developments. Vaurca have been getting a lot of love, there’s a lot of recent news, and honestly, the devs are pretty passionate about the species. I wrote them off as a totally uninteresting species at first, with long confusing names and tough-to-process lore (Long names, VR stuff, bound and unbound, etc). It didn’t seem like you could play one with personality. But after talking to lore deps and looking into news and paying attention to the vaurca on-station, I see there’s more to them than I initially thought. They’re very alien, and once I managed to piece together the lore, I started liking them. So, I want to try my hand at adding some interesting characters to both expand my knowledge on Vaurca, and get others interested in the species through my RP.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Hooo where to start with this. Well, obvious mechanical differences: breathing phoron, eating k’ois, not healing naturally, etc.

Roleplay differences include speaking with a buzz (Yezzir), having an aversion to brighter lights, being more passive in nature (And placing less importance on martial prowess) and adjusting to life outside of VR. That last one is particularly important to Vaurca, and each individual has different means of coping. There are differences between unbound and bound (The former being more individual, the latter being more akin to stationbound units), and vaurca from different broods likely have different views and ideas that affect their day-to-day lives. A vaurca character can expect a good amount of racism from other species, and even animosity from other vaurca, depending on their hive and personal views.

As well, Vaurca find doing work for their hive to be pleasurable, which is probably the least human thing I can think of.

Character Name:Ka’Akaix’Myrz C’thur

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Myrz, like all unbound, was given six months to develop organically before being fitted with a neural socket, and placed into the realm of VR for her education and development. As one of Xetl’jyatk’s brood, there was also a tremendous focus on sensations. Pleasures. Rapid changes in setting and mood based on the whims of her lesser queen. Myrz grew to find this thrilling. What would change next? What new jokes would Luz perform? What experiments would be performed on the Lii’dra unbound next?

Then, there were new sensations. Information and scenes about Skrell began to pour in. Pop culture, language, emotions, and, most interesting to Myrz, achievements. Scientific advances. A different kind of alien curiosity, full of triumphs and setbacks and the feelings associated with each. She became obsessed with these scientific processes.

Transitioning out of VR was tough on her, as it was for most. The senses were duller. Things were far less fantastical. There were no grand changes in this reality, no sensations presented by Xetl, fewer surprises, needs to maintain, such as hunger. But… there was now a chance to make discoveries, find new highs, and gift them back to her queen and her hive. She found work among the Skrell scientific community, assisting in labs and offering a new, if not always appreciated, perspective. Still, she was able to contribute a great deal; even if she didn’t find anything groundbreaking on her own, she still participated in several small, interesting advancements. Some of her coworkers noted that her curiosity and upbeat attitude was refreshing, while others cited that her willingness to rush into taking risks clashed with the Skrell’s normally careful and patient approaches.

A small scientific exchange program with NanoTrasen was established, some time after the secret of the C’thur’s relation to Jargon was out, leading the immigration of a handful C’thur and Skrell scientists to Tau Ceti. Myrz was happy to volunteer as part of this. A new system, new aliens, new research! This was an excellent opportunity to find new sensations, reach new highs, and gain experiences to bring back to her queen. Taking up residence on the ODIN with her hive-cell, she was assigned to the NSS Aurora for work. While she still is having a rough go adapting to life outside of VR, she’s doing what she can to adjust and seek out similar highs, both at work and in her free time.

What do you like about this character? They have an excitable and curious personality, always looking for new experiences to bring back to Xetl’jyatk. She enjoys serving her queen, but also finds these new experiences to be exciting on their own. The result is a naïve individual with boundless curiosity, who will definitely be around station socializing. Even normally negative sensations, such as pain and nervousness, will be viewed with some degree of excitement.

Also, her lesser queen is really fun, and I like the idea of her brood seeking new highs and taking risks due to their VR experiences.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? Pretty great. Always improving, but I’m getting more confident the more time I spend here. I feel like I have a long way to go compared to some of the players here, but I’ve received enough compliments to say that people enjoy interacting with me. The more I experiment with new jobs and new species, the more I feel myself improving.

Notes:

–Planned job is to be a lab assistant until I find a job in science that I’m comfortable with and enjoy playing. C'thur don't need avowals.

-Please let me know if I messed something up with VR lore, as that’s the part that’s still somewhat confusing to me, though P-dox did a great job explaining it to me.

I've only really dealt with Sunny on the server, but all encounters have been great, antag and non-antag alike. They seem to know the lore for the species they play and the general atmosphere and they're fun to be around. The application itself looks solid to me, overall I'd love to see Doxx make and handle a Vaurca character as I'd be interested in the RP from them.

+1

Alright, I've talked to Doxx a bit about the character in DMs and everything seems pretty set to me! The character in itself seems to fit the lore of the species from what I've read and discussed with Bygone and Jam, although I'm by no means well versed in it.

Doxx is pretty good at roleplaying different characters, managing to create a gimmick for everyone that isn't overdone or out of place. I'm quite sure that they will manage to do great things, easily becoming a top 10 Vaurca player (that's a joke, there are only 7 players, :agony:). All-in-all, I think this would be good to accept, we need more bugs! +1

An excellent application, and a solid story. As always, I love when people try to flex their creative writing muscles. I enjoyed reading about Myrz and can't wait to see how they develop. Application accepted!

As for your comments, you did absolutely fine. Virtual reality is something that allows a high degree of creative freedom. It's less important how it is to me and more important how it is to you. Myrz could have grown up in any number of VR realities, as fantastical as a world entirely populated by human commercials or a bubblegum rainbow underwater skrell palace. A world where everyone can do magic or perhaps a nightmarish place, where the sky is filled with ash and the land itself covered in fields of screaming Lii'dra vaurca, flayed of their carapace and endlessly burning alive. I want you to decide what reality Myrz lives in, and in truth, because of the Interstice, you could do this for any Vaurca brood.