Slime Mutation Reagent Nerfs + Rework

13 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

You have proven that you cannot be bothered to read anything I put forward as I explained several times in this thread that there is medicine that can reverse this, specifically Ryetalyn.

You are utterly incorrect on that note. There is nothing in the code for ryetalyn that references reversing monkeyizing as part of ryetalyn's reagent functions. This is an absolutely unacceptable mistake to make, because you're making changes to something on the sole basis of false information.

The monkey gene itself is used as a means to transform someone directly into a monkey, dependent on their species, but short of the methods listed below, ryetalyn does not fix this.

The only way to reverse being a monkey as it stands is through wizard retransformations, cloning protohuman-switcheroo method, or genetics, none of which can be relied upon as an actual reliable solution.

20 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

Any chemical that transforms you instantly, irreversibly, into something that is either undesirable, overpowered, or both is unfit for HRP.

Eat these words straight away because short of a lot of painstaking effort from a department that may not even be staffed with people with the knowledge to reverse the damage from this, but the point is moot if you're largely concerned about a "permanent transformation" because this is what you're doing anyway, nevermind that you were so adamant in believing a gameplay behavior was at all true.

Just now, BurgerBB said:

How did you turn yourself into a monkey? Which method did you use? This is important.

Alberyk used the monkey gene to transform me into a monkey.

image.png.edf58ce35ae63f488ca978c805f3f4e5.png

The code does not 'know' how to handle the monkey gene 'mutation'.

image.thumb.png.5182db860a36025d198ef0387d9b2e1f.png

This was always a sort of thing that genetics was supposed to fix, because ryetalyn clears most side-effects. You must toggle the block directly through genetics in order to demonkey someone.

If ryetalyn does not transform you back from a monkey, then it will also be fixed in this PR.

"This is an absolutely unacceptable mistake to make, because you're making changes to something on the sole basis of false information."

Enough with the pearl clutching. If you think that me making a false assumption is worthy of a staff complaint, make a staff complaint instead of shitting up the thread with nonsense. I'm here to code, not be subjected to drama.

I'm not going to make a staff complaint over this. I do not understand how you get off trying to make changes like these and do not provide evidence nor well-reasoned rationales for why they want to implement a change that requires community feedback, despite that everyone else has to do this.

Yes, posting false information and behaving like it is true is the kind of thing that discredits a PR. Just don't do it again, research and get evidence before making a claim as if it were true.

You can quit accusing people of "just getting offended" for criticizing you any day now, because if this were at all true;

14 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

I'm here to code, not be subjected to drama.

Then why do you get mad and throw vitriol around like "stop pearl-clutching" when people say "no" to your suggestions?

The sanest implementation to fix this issue is to make it so it is not "instant" of a tool, so you force it to have to process a whole unit of the toxin in order to mutate someone into a slime. Render its units per second to .005u processed per server-counted second, and boom, someone has upward of 200 seconds to get medical to remove the mutation toxin out of their system.

Likewise this creates a timesink issue where an antagonist can't use this to inject themselves and then either immediately maul security or escape into the vents. It is fair and balanced in this method.

Edited by Scheveningen

If ryetalyn does not transform you back from a monkey, then it will also be fixed in this PR.

Out of curiosity, then, would it be possible to code Ryetalyn to be able to transform you back from a slime? This seems to be one solution to the "permanence" issue of becoming a slime. This way the toxin can still be used as an antagonist or RP tool, but doesn't mean that someone will be forced into a slime for the remainder of the round, if they don't want to be. I imagine this would take some work, as you'd need to be able to differentiate regular slimes from slimes who were previously players. Also unsure if this is science or lore-friendly, but strikes me as a half-decent compromise. 

edit: Or perhaps a new medication/serum that requires you to combine the toxin with ryetalyn to form a cure

Edited by Doxxmedearly
Additional Ideas

Alright, here´s my take on it.
I think the current system is pretty good as is.
Getting transformed into a slime

I believe it would be better to adapt the way someone is currently transformed into a slime.
I.e. make sure the slime toxin takes a while to effect the target, make it possible to halt the transformation, ...

The monkey can not talk. If you want to communicate with people you still need a special device to do so.
So there is a bit of a challenge to convince the other crew that you are also a crew member and not a monkey.

The options outlined in the OP are also not entirely accurate.
It is possible for slimes to continue their work in research, but they would obviously be limited to research and transferred to central at the end of the shift.
And with the recent telescience changes, it might be possible to turn them back into a human.