Raisin Price Hike PR

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/5986

Vrisk Serket Iced Tea, RD Root Beer, 4no Raisins, Scaredy's Private Reserve Beef Jerky, Razi Snack-corned Beef have been increased in price by 100 credits, which if all goes well will be implemented in a few days. The prices reflect price gouging from the corporations and subsidiaries affected by a general strike taking place in the sol system. Supply is low, demand is high. This is a temporary affect and will expire in 1 - 2 weeks depending on the schedule of article updates per my availability.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/price-gouging/

Hard agree with VT. There's no point in supplying it in the vendor at all. NT wouldn't pay that much for vendor food and try to resell it. Literally no one will buy that when they will buy other things in the vendor. It might be stronger to have them permanently out-of-stock, but harder code-wise because of the vendor refills.

6 hours ago, Senpai Jackboot said:

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/5986

Vrisk Serket Iced Tea, RD Root Beer, 4no Raisins, Scaredy's Private Reserve Beef Jerky, Razi Snack-corned Beef have been increased in price by 100 credits, which if all goes well will be implemented in a few days. The prices reflect price gouging from the corporations and subsidiaries affected by a general strike taking place in the sol system. Supply is low, demand is high. This is a temporary affect and will expire in 1 - 2 weeks depending on the schedule of article updates per my availability.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/price-gouging/

Maybe even make a temp cargo bounty for grapes and such due to the demand for raisins and food in general. Synth meat?

Guest Marlon Phoenix
3 hours ago, Evandorf said:

Maybe even make a temp cargo bounty for grapes and such due to the demand for raisins and food in general. Synth meat?

I will ask poze about this. Because of the short term duration (1-2 week) i only wanted to ask the dev (poze) for the simple pr to price change then the later pr to revert. Ill ask him if he wants to do these extra steps. No promises!

22 hours ago, Ornias said:

100 credits feels crazy-high, even for what you're trying to do.

Maybe 30 credits? That's still $10 for a pack of raisins, which is crazy, but far more believable

Totally realistic. In Ukraine when the government was changed and all gold reserves were stolen national currency value went down so much that it used to be 1$ = 8 UKR, vs it changed to 1$ = 24-30UKR. Prices changed according to that right away, Macbook for example was at price of 1/3 of a car

Guest Marlon Phoenix

The prices of the goods were not made in relation to the currency transfer, which itself is not gospel but originally intended to be a rule of thumb if a player is completely lost. This is because for a long time there has been no basis for prices.

The rule of thumb for 100 credits is the average amount of credits in ATMs. 30 credits will let any crewmember to continue to buy them out. The reset of finances means any change in prices must be done so that it affects you immediately in the round because we have no other alternatives of simulating budget constraints.

The lower teir accounts of any species average 100 - 900 credits. A 100 credit product is a lot of money for noncommand. Command or science characters will continue to be able to buy all the raisins and still afford anything else.

I always do prices in relation to how it impact accounts in a round immediately. 

Its also realistic as it is. its price gouging. Corporations have contractual obligations to stock their vendors.

Removing them is an option but its a bit of a boring one when you have more options with higher priced goods - such as hacking the vendor, a richer char buying them for someone else, or people pooling money together to afford a product.  All things that i have seen.

1 hour ago, Senpai Jackboot said:

The prices of the goods were not made in relation to the currency transfer, which itself is not gospel but originally intended to be a rule of thumb if a player is completely lost. This is because for a long time there has been no basis for prices.

"Ignore that lore that made sense, trust me it doesn't matter anything to anyone despite everyone using it"

30 credits will let any crewmember to continue to buy them out.

Not really. You've said yourself that 100 credits is a large sum. Which means, buying just 3 packs of raisins is a large sum for a crewmember. That seems reasonable. Don't also forget that it's *plus* 30 credits, so raisins, for example, would cost 42.

such as hacking the vendor,

You've "seen" that ingame? It just unlocks other, free goods, not making all the goods free. Not to mention, nobody's going to pool their money to buy a pack of raisins when cheaper options are still available. I don't see how this contributes to RP aside from "aw man, raisins are so expensive now".

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Ive seen and heard multiple accounts of such things happening. Mostly from tajara players who have such things encouraged by background and culture.

All prices that i touch bear in regard to the general state of finances on the station. As i said, we dont use dollar amounts for our imaginary and not real scifi money anymore than we use 1934 german notes to calculate our houses in runescape. I always base any prices or finances on the realities of how much money we have on the station in our personal accounts for a specific round, and the static amounts available in the station accounts. It guides cargo prices, vending prices, and the guide on how much for cooks and chefs to charge for food on the chef guide.

The conversion rate was created because for a long time I would get a lot of PM's from people asking how much a house, a car, a ship, or something else would cost. You're cherry picking a single line and not the wealth (get it?) of other information.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Finances#Payscales

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Economy

Edited by Marlon Phoenix

Cherry picking a single line? I have quoted several of your lines, and you essentially ignored all of that except for the first one. Pretty ironic.

I don't see how rising the price by 30 credits is contradicting what you're saying. This makes sense with the conversion rate that was present before, still makes prices very high for a pack of raisins and other things (almost quadruples them), and prevents people from buying the raisins out with the current salaries (unless they want to spend all of their bank on vendor goods).

On 26/01/2019 at 23:15, VTCobaltblood said:
On 26/01/2019 at 21:33, Senpai Jackboot said:

such as hacking the vendor,

You've "seen" that ingame? It just unlocks other, free goods, not making all the goods free.

You are incorrect here. It is possible to get all vendor items for free, you just have to be more creative about it.

As mentioned on GitHub,
I do not see an issue with this PR as it is just temporary and alternative (cheaper) snacks are available.

The price increase might get people to actually figure out why it has been increased.
Therefore it will be merged once lore is ready to move forward with the event.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic