IPC Mechanic Rework

The cloning would put them on par, if not a little more at disadvantage than humans. Positronic brains as is require RnD research, expensive metals like diamond and phoron, a roboticist to remake not only the body but also the said expensive positronic brain, and much more. In times like dead hour is rare to have anything close to that so it already puts them at a disadvantage. 

In essence, reviving an IPC already requires a soemwhat competent Miner/QM (Materials), a somewhat competent Researcher (Needs to get the required levels in Materials and Bluespace and sync it to the network because believe it or not, posbrainsare actually not craftable until at least halfway through research), and a competent roboticist (to recover the positronic brain, remake the body, and recreate the IPC), where cloning just requires a medical doctor.

Every other race has the option for cloning as is, and all cloning needs is a medical doctor and an intact, non-decapped and non-gibbed human to bring them back in the round.

Adding in defects from recovery and copying would probably be the best way to solve the "copying a dead positronic brain". Like a computer, if you know what you are doing you can usually recover data from a dead hard drive, and along the way some of the data could become more corrupt. I dont think it would be very fair to IPC players to just outright refuse them a chance at a respawn when all other players have a chance at it as well.

Also with the backup thing, cloning has the same thing, you are able to save people's DNA in them, just no one uses that anymore. All you need to do is toss a living person in a cloning pod and scan and save their data. In response to the whole jumping into a SM thing, no, you wouldn't, because if you arent valuing you characters life/etc, you are actively breaking both server rules and IC IPC programming and you would have your whitelist stripped. That's the same as saying "well I'll just go suicidal and then ghost, wait for the 20 minute respawn and join again."

Edit: Positronic Brains cost (2000 Metal, 1000 Glass, 1000 Silver, 500 Phoron, 500 Gold, 100 Diamond) and require 6 Materials, 4 Engineering, 2 Bluespace, and 4 Data Theroy research, definitely late mid-tier RnD

Edited by ToasterStrudel
9 hours ago, ToasterStrudel said:

The cloning would put them on par, if not a little more at disadvantage than humans. Positronic brains as is require RnD research, expensive metals like diamond and phoron, a roboticist to remake not only the body but also the said expensive positronic brain, and much more. In times like dead hour is rare to have anything close to that so it already puts them at a disadvantage. 

In essence, reviving an IPC already requires a soemwhat competent Miner/QM (Materials), a somewhat competent Researcher (Needs to get the required levels in Materials and Bluespace and sync it to the network because believe it or not, posbrainsare actually not craftable until at least halfway through research), and a competent roboticist (to recover the positronic brain, remake the body, and recreate the IPC), where cloning just requires a medical doctor.

Every other race has the option for cloning as is, and all cloning needs is a medical doctor and an intact, non-decapped and non-gibbed human to bring them back in the round.

Adding in defects from recovery and copying would probably be the best way to solve the "copying a dead positronic brain". Like a computer, if you know what you are doing you can usually recover data from a dead hard drive, and along the way some of the data could become more corrupt. I dont think it would be very fair to IPC players to just outright refuse them a chance at a respawn when all other players have a chance at it as well.

Also with the backup thing, cloning has the same thing, you are able to save people's DNA in them, just no one uses that anymore. All you need to do is toss a living person in a cloning pod and scan and save their data. In response to the whole jumping into a SM thing, no, you wouldn't, because if you arent valuing you characters life/etc, you are actively breaking both server rules and IC IPC programming and you would have your whitelist stripped. That's the same as saying "well I'll just go suicidal and then ghost, wait for the 20 minute respawn and join again."

Edit: Positronic Brains cost (2000 Metal, 1000 Glass, 1000 Silver, 500 Phoron, 500 Gold, 100 Diamond) and require 6 Materials, 4 Engineering, 2 Bluespace, and 4 Data Theroy research, definitely late mid-tier RnD

Well, I suppose now we know what we could use the debugger for.

• 1 month later...

Not going to lie. After reading all this, and understanding that we do need to balance IPCs so they're not so.. gun ho about being robust, I still feel like we are strolling away from what makes IPC unique in their own right. Yes. We shouldn't be hard to kill. However we are machines. Metal and wires, breaking one shouldn't be easy. I personally feel these new tweaks will cause some backlash in our community. Still, I'm more than willing to see how this goes. And I really hope we don't see these new tweaks abused.  And of course, thank you Kryes and everyone else for your hard work and dedication to the IPC race and development. 

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2019 at 13:22, Soultheif96 said:

What is the progress so far with the IPC revamp?

I'm curious as well. I'd like to see how this pans out, if it does and whatnot. Most of my characters are IPCs. Mike Michaelson would do some good from this, and it could certainly make playing Roboticist for me, personally, more fun. It's kinda a job I avoided due to a relative disinterest but this kinda piques it to some degree.

As someone who has been playing a Roboticist as of late, I enjoy the idea of adding more to the IPCs in terms of internals and their mechanics and what it might mean for slow shifts. I have noticed as well that often as a Roboticist doing repairs on IPCs or Cyborgs, the process will often take seconds where as there is a larger process Surgery on a human. Which causes me to repair said IPC and have them race out the door within seconds with very little RP involved. However, I don't blame people when this occurs, as I understand no one wants to wait around in Medical or, if there are pressing matters, sit on the sideline. Suffice to say however, there have been some shifts where I do nothing because of this, (however I must admit I have been liking the slower pace compared to working Medical.)

I have a bit of concerns surrounding Nanopaste however. As is, Nanopaste is a bit hard to acquire in Robotics depending on the shift. I understand not being able to make a mech or rig without a Scientist online but without one, Robotics is without Nanopaste as well. Or, if I have a particularly busy or comms neglectful Scientist, I often either do not get nanopaste or am forced to wait a stretch of time. What I wanted to suggest was Robotics having the ability to print Nanopaste or starting the shift with two. (Also can we get two cyborg analyzers in the lab?)

The nerf to Nanopaste is tough for me to put to words because being new to Robotics and IPCing, I don't know if it's good or bad. In it's current state, a heavy battered IPC could require 1.5 full bottles of Nanopaste to address damage whereas with the nerf, that could turn into plenty more. Will the addition of servos, coolant and whatnot reduce the need for Nanopaste?

Me dum. Me no know nanopaste no need.

Edited by niennab
  • 3 years later...
  • Gem locked this topic