Mining aesthetic overhaul

AmoryBlaine

The jumpsuit sprites look really... militaristic? I think that's the word I want. Like something you would wear under a tactitool turtleneck instead of doing civilian hard labor. They would work better as a clothing option in the loadout than clothing meant to immediately identify a job.

I'm also still not a fan of making a dangerous space job less visible in space. Black is not a good substitution. It works for security because it gives them a out-of-the dark feel. We're supposed to be finding dead miners, not thinking they're part of the rock. Some purple is all I ask for. Why are you so against it?

The satchel looks like its made of stone as well. It's uh. Not great.

33 minutes ago, Conspiir said:

The jumpsuit sprites look really... militaristic? I think that's the word I want. Like something you would wear under a tactitool turtleneck instead of doing civilian hard labor. They would work better as a clothing option in the loadout than clothing meant to immediately identify a job.

I'm also still not a fan of making a dangerous space job less visible in space. Black is not a good substitution. It works for security because it gives them a out-of-the dark feel. We're supposed to be finding dead miners, not thinking they're part of the rock. Some purple is all I ask for. Why are you so against it?

The satchel looks like its made of stone as well. It's uh. Not great.

It's literally just darkblue-black overall, a zip-up jacket, and a white t-shirt. I intend to eventually convert all the departmental jumpsuits to something similar, though also keeping in line with their work.

The voidsuit is still quite visible, if it were a concern, we wouldn't give Security 'out-of-the-dark' voidsuits, given they are the second most likely to die EVA. I'm against purple, because I dislike it, personally, and wish Mining to be more clearly a part of cargo, in regards to colour scheme.

I like the satchel, it's a light-brown-greyish colour. Any suggestions as to how I could change it?

The colour scheme is horribly close to that of the normal engineering voidsuit. The only tangible difference is that yours is not shaded softly. So uh, you're definitely going to need to another colour to it, for the sake of differentiation. You also need to apply proper shading: what's proposed is largely a no-go, see other suits for reference.

As I am currently maining mining as my first real job in SS13, my humble thoughts on your rework attempt:

• I am happy you want to make the mining section more unique, please, continue to improve the aesthetic. I always fancied the Dead Space look for Mining.
  • As we are usually mixed with a bit of Engineer spice, I would like to underline the need of departmental color schemes. Any color scheme for mining, be it purple or other, is good and should, in my opinion, be applied to as many resources as possible in mining. This is because it makes me feel a part of my character's department. It makes me feel like I belong to a mining group, insignia;s, color schemes, banners and colored pavement, ore boxes with our color on them and APLU's with our color on them all feel like you belong to a group. Adding them to Cargo will feel, weird... they are different departments and should (realistically also) feel distinct, no matter what color you assign to them.
  • Regarding clothing, I like the militaristic theme you are going for, I dislike the current "janitor-esque" look of the grabs we wear. If this does not work with other people, I suggest to make the clothing look more "high quality" rather than what we have currently. Bits and pieces of accessories, small details and attentions.

Those are just my thoughts on your rework attempt, I wish you all the best and I can't wait for more details of your work on the department. Thank you for your hard work!

• Gem locked this topic