The Omega Solution - Molecular Destabilizer

Kaed

the problem with this is again, the illogical aspect of it. If its on the station at round start/extended rounds, its canon. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

Phoron? New Oil/Element that burns really well and can be used for interesting chemical bonds to make medicine and not-medicine. 

That makes sense, its possible.

Bluespace? A Different Plane of existence lying above our own that we access by manipulating complex Post-Space Age physics for travel? (Not to mention still being tested today?) 

Makes coherent sense, easily understood.

NT, an advanced Space-Megacorporation uses extremely dangerous occult knowledge to kill every single one of its employees aboard a prized research station, leaving it vulnerable to any raider that sees the twinkling light in the distance. Also, if we're going to "antags are canon you fucker" then lets remember it takes 9 beings devoted to Nar'sie to summon him in the first place. Oh, and lets not forget Nar'sie converts the Station into Cultist Buildings when he shows up. So the station is gonna go damaged regardless.

breaks already existing antag shit, and not to mention is kinda a meme.

The Nuke is good because its real any baldie on the station knows the word Nuke means, "Oh fuck!

The Nuke is good because Captains that have the knowledge of it know the exact weight of the knowledge they carry, since we can relate to it IRL. We know what Nukes can do.

The Nuke is good because Captains that have to use the Nuke, know what they are about to do is going to take everything down with them. Including the Station.

Even if we add this, why even bother having ERT? Why waste important Team Phoniex lives when we can just clean up the mess by releasing a dark God to fuck the station's current life forms? 

This Bomb is literally just Deathsquad's job, but automated.

Edited by Butterrobber202
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My primary motivation for updating anything on this server will always be two fold:

Bring the lore in line with believable expected technological standards for the current year of play, and,

Diversify our code base to stand out from other servers and entertain our deserving community.

The ideas and discussions surrounding the change of the nuke event are all inspirational. These projects cannot exist within an echo chamber, but... these projects exist! Convene, converse, and let us determine what we as a community would be excited to entertain implementing. 

also i can try and animate the station blowing up in pixel art if you really need to get that fukken nuke.

2 hours ago, Butterrobber202 said:

the problem with this is again, the illogical aspect of it. If its on the station at round start/extended rounds, its canon. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

Phoron? New Oil/Element that burns really well and can be used for interesting chemical bonds to make medicine and not-medicine. 

That makes sense, its possible.

Bluespace? A Different Plane of existence lying above our own that we access by manipulating complex Post-Space Age physics for travel? (Not to mention still being tested today?) 

Makes coherent sense, easily understood.

NT, an advanced Space-Megacorporation uses extremely dangerous occult knowledge to kill every single one of its employees aboard a prized research station, leaving it vulnerable to any raider that sees the twinkling light in the distance. Also, if we're going to "antags are canon you fucker" then lets remember it takes 9 beings devoted to Nar'sie to summon him in the first place. Oh, and lets not forget Nar'sie converts the Station into Cultist Buildings when he shows up. So the station is gonna go damaged regardless.

breaks already existing antag shit, and not to mention is kinda a meme.

The Nuke is good because its real any baldie on the station knows the word Nuke means, "Oh fuck!

The Nuke is good because Captains that have the knowledge of it know the exact weight of the knowledge they carry, since we can relate to it IRL. We know what Nukes can do.

The Nuke is good because Captains that have to use the Nuke, know what they are about to do is going to take everything down with them. Including the Station.

Even if we add this, why even bother having ERT? Why waste important Team Phoniex lives when we can just clean up the mess by releasing a dark God to fuck the station's current life forms? 

This Bomb is literally just Deathsquad's job, but automated.

Literally in no part anywhere that I posted in this thread have I indicated that this object has anything to do with occult influences.

In fact, the only time I even try to explain it I use the term 'bluespace' and 'boloneymancy' (which is a joking term more than an indication it has anything to do with magic).  You do not have to understand how it works when it is using existing scifi logic of bluespace to telegib everyone on the station.

And the fact of the matter is that blowing up the station is not a sustainable action in the code. You cannot cause an explosion that deletes the whole station without grinding the server to a halt.

The only thing you will ever be able to do is just make everyone drop dead in a completely intact station.

Additionally, as other people have pointed out in this thread, a nuclear weapon is not going to be as effective in space, especially positioned in a room at the top of the station where most of its energy will be vented upwards into space instead of down through multiple walls and floors in a whole lot of rock.

The reason why people think a nuke is so deadly and strong is because we only have context for that in a modern setting. It's the most powerful weapon the average layman can imagine as a real thing. This is because most people do not know much about science.  For instance, that the most powerful bomb currently imaginable by our understanding of science uses superradiant scattering, not nuclear fission.

Not that I'm saying that this particular object needs to be grounded in science, I'm fully aware it's a piece of sci-fi nonsense that is mostly an excuse rather than a full explanation.

And I think that you are putting too much thought into what captains are going to need to understand. All that really matters is that the captain's are aware that activating this device will kill everyone and everything on this station. 

That is the sum of the knowledge that captains need. They don't have to feel emotionally invested in the concept of the weapon as something that they understand. In fact it actually makes it a little more interesting if there's this mysterious superweapon right above their office that they were told will kill everything if they activate it, but they have no context for what it is or how it works. They can be scared of it as an unknown instead of just blandly thinking of it as a big bomb. The average baldie does not need to know there is a bomb on the station, or a superweapon.  They are not even supposed to.  Their ability to understand it is irrelevant.  All they need to know is the captain is telling everyone he's very sorry for what he's about to do and that you're all going to die.

And the difference between this and the Death Squad is it doesn't take a half hour or more to finish while they hunt everyone down so they can murderbone them, and we can move the fuck on with our lives. Definitely a step up in my opinion.

We can either keep having an excuse mechanic (everyone drops dead on a non-exploded station) or get an excuse plot device that actually functions as described in on the server.  I'd rather have the latter.

Edited by Kaed

I know it's not how we do it but I can't help but giggle at the idea of NanoTrasen handing the Captain the keys or whatever to a device and not explaining it kills everyone. Just like, 'Hey man, if shit ever gets completely out of hand and you don't have time for a shuttle to evacuate, just uhhh, just toss this little fucker in this device and it will fix everything.'

'How does it work?'

'Oh that's a trade secret we can't disclose. Just uh, just only use it as a last resort because it's super expensive. Alright buddy? Great, good luck.' ::six guns:: 

• Gem locked this topic