[Accepted] Voyd2000's Dionae Whitelist App

BYOND Key: Voyd2000
Character Names: Kanza Al'falak / Liza Al'Falak / Glitch(Custom borg chassis) / KEDI & KEDI-io / One Who Sees(Nymph)
Species you are applying to play: Dionae.
What color do you plan on making your first alien character:  N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: 
I certainly have.
Please provide well-articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.
Why do you wish to play this specific race:
I wish to play this species because I've always enjoyed playing the Nymph stage as One Who Sees and would finally like the ability to progress and develop a into a full on Dionae and experience the unique challenges that come with playing this species within the game space.
I've always gotten good feedback from my Nymph play, even when I'm giving them the heebie-jeebies they would report enjoying the effort. All whilst maintaining a strict non-vocal interaction with people and managing it quite successfully.
Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:
One of the major differences/challenges of this particular species would be a lack of typical human emotion or drives, this would range from your obviously happy and sad down into concepts of personal space and the ability to think outside one's self and how your actions may hurt or help others, other than maybe a hunger feeling or an equivalent thereof that the absence of radiation would cause. You pretty much share nothing in common other than maybe a thirst for knowledge.

Another unique challenge in my mind as a potentially immortal species is just how they perceive and value the passage of time and how one might view the other species and their limited existence within the concepts of limited linear time the other species live and the process of gathering and retaining knowledge outside sucking it people as a nymph.
Character Name: "One Who Sees Amidst Many Eyes Watching."
Please provide a short backstory for this character
Alien oddity case file 001a - "The Seeds" 
The "One who sees" genome originates from a single surviving core sample taken by an outside contractor survey team for NT. tasked with finding mineral wealth in deep space on a rogue planetoid caught in the gravity of a red dwarf, no bigger than the Earths moon but with the unique and perplexing fact that no matter where the survey team took a core sample a two inch layer of ancient seeds was prevalent, it was estimated that if the entire planetoid was covered that there very well could be millions of seeds all trapped in a layer of rock between eight hundred thousand and a million years old many, many, meters down. 

(((OOC breakdown of what's going on here, a very long time ago this planet was almost fully covered in a layer of Nymphs, a catastrophic event occurred that made all of the Nymphs shit a seed at the same time in some ill-fated attempt to survive or escape, only to become quickly buried in global radiation blocking sediment from said catastrophe, the seeds unable to propagate due to a shielding effect from the sediment on top of them so they simply remained dormant.)))

Initially, the seed layer was misidentified as the seeds didn't resemble a typical Dionae seed, with different coloring, texture, and shape, later upon closer inspection to be discovered for what they are. However, it wasn't long for the Skrell fleet to show up and ash the planetoid fearing a Titan scenario should the seeds become active, destroying all of the remaining subterranean seeds and cracking the small planetoid in two.

(((OOC breakdown of above, the Skrell found out because they are the Skrell and know shit, fearing a theoretical Titan they were very quick to eradicate things with extreme prejudice, not ask to many questions or wait for NT to make some legal claim and cover everything up thus avoiding any major lore canon changes, as coverups means no one knows..
    and you're certainly not going to get a lore story dump from the character itself over some bar fuelled monologue that breaks everything)))

The incident was covered up and the surviving core sample containing the last batch of seeds from this ancient genome was taken back to Central command without Skrell knowledge for further research. 
    The scientists and various other experts tried and tried but were unable to grow a successful Nymph from the seeds, until after around a thousand tries, a single pod opened up to reveal a smaller than average runt-sized nymph staring back at them curiously, indistinguishable from your modern known nymph genomes other than its smaller than average size.

Other seeds from the core sample batch had proven just as difficult to cultivate with roughly one in every thousand successfully gestating, and the time between the first and second successful hatching was roughly 2 years, after this time gap it was discovered that allowing the two existing Nymphs to help in cultivating and caring for the seeds saw a dramatic uptick in success with four new nymphs being born within a year, all proceeding Nymph was "normal-sized" for newborn nymphs, only the first one they hatched was runt-like in size.

"One Who Sees Amidst Many Eyes Watching" is now a loosely bound collection of nymphs of your typical Cyclops configuration with the OG runt Nymph sitting on top as the dominant Nymph, Finally getting out of the lab it has lived its life in and into the world as a registered person (Owned by NT)  The Aurora was chosen so that NT can continue to monitor the Dionae and the continued development of their asset.
    Because of the limited number of seeds left the scientists have stopped trying to cultivate new Nymphs from these particular seeds until a higher success rate can be better guaranteed.    
What do you like about this character?
    As a non-vocal action/emote oriented character, I tend to have a lot of fun just fleshing out over time how I plan to behave, how I evolve the character based on interactions in the game space and how that changes my behavior over time or evolves my characters in unexpected ways.
    Playing the Nymph version of this character has always been incredibly fun to come up with different actions a character can take and the reactions of people around that have chosen to interact with me, is probably the more rewarding thing when playing any of my characters, especially the nonverbal types. And I hope the same is true for this character.
How would you rate your role-playing ability?
I feel like my honest answer is that I can't really answer this? I mean I can say that I've had good compliments and praising reactions in LOOC sometimes, but I wouldn't say I'm top-tier, I don't emote a lot of things that I could/should in some cases, I've never had someone tell me I'm shit?
    For a long time, I've mostly played Tajara which carries a stigma of automatically being something perverse in your OOC life(A furry) and that your personality is judged accordingly with terms such as ERP Bait and other bullshit.  The great thing about this species that I'm applying for is that none of this preconception horse shit will follow me, because when you play Groot, no one automatically thinks you want to fuck trees IRL, Not so much with Tajara/furry assumption connection, which is basically the bulk of my role-play on the server as a "Tajara main"

however I have also recently branched out as a Custom borg skin called Glitch, which is an all-new challenge and super fun to play, and although I had my doubts at first, I think people enjoy the character.

So basically I'd say I'm not qualified to rate myself but if I had to, I'd say I'm not bad. And that's better than just ok.
Notes:

Edited by Neinbox
Application accepted.

+1 I've roleplayed with this player, and I have to say they are very humble about their ability to roleplay. +1 all the way! Simfantic - Ziiq'Luu Xrim (requested by player)

Edited by simfantic
Additional Information

+1 I played Nikolai Agapov, the RD. I ran an expedition to a strange station, surrounding which was a diona colossal. After accidentally Nagasaking it, we returned the only surviving Nymph to the station. This Nymph was Voyd2000. Voyd RPed the Nymph in a way that gave us insight in the creature we have destroyed, created a backstory for the away site we visited, and increased the enjoyment in science for at least 4 different scientists, including myself. All this being done on an extended round, I'd love to see Voyd able to turn this Nymph into a recurring Diona scientist, and flesh out his backstory some more. Please accept is app, for the glory of SCIENCE!

The round started like any other,   I was observing as a ghost when I noticed the away mission map had a Colossus stuck to a ship so I asked admins if I could be spawned on board with the intent to skitter around and creep them out eventually have them take me back to the station, however not thinking through my request I promptly died in the dark of the crashed ship never actually interacting with the away team.

I facepalmed and realized my mistake, so I continued to observe the away mission and saw a chance later after they accidentally destroyed everything with a super matter implosion that the RD had returned alone looking for something,

So I asked to be revived and quickly ran on board the away shuttle, and that's where the story begins, I'm not sure how I would put it here is an origin story but it's definitely a thing I'd like to run with versus my presented origin story above.

My original plan was to do this for exposure and then link my application at the end of the round, but it turned out to be a pretty solid origin story so now it's a thing if I'm accepted for whitelisting.

I apologize and stand corrected. Did you have the RD's rig suit? not sure why I thought it was the research Director that returned alone lol, this is why I asked people involved to put character names here so that I don't forget :P

The short final story of a lone survivor of the crash.

A soft chiming alert echoes down empty dark hallways lit every few dozen feet by the soft red glow of dim emergency lights marking doorways. "Alert: failure in primary life-support system detected, backup system has been initiated. estimated time until the complete shutdown of all life-support systemz-zttbztss-sss-." The alert continues as garbled gibberish mixed with bursts of static as the superstructure of the ship groans and strains.

"Computer? How long has it been since the last transmission was sent?" A young Tajaran girl, no older than 8 sits in a dark room nestled in the corner holding a small tablet-like device; the device softly glowing as it comes to life due to the sound of her voice, The girl surrounded by blankets and pillows and other various plush animal toys, strewn about the room many ration packages empty of their contents, long ago eaten and the package discarded.. A gentle feminine voice from the computer pad replies. "The time since your last transmission has been two years, three months, sixteen days, thirteen hours, fourteen minutes, and thirty-eight seconds." The girl starts to sob and cry softly into her hands, casting the datapad aside. 

Her soft cries echo and reverberate throughout the entire ship as the superstructure of the craft groaned and strained once more the sounds of straining metal replaced by the groaning crackling drone of some unseen mass in the dark. *ticktickticktick* something skittering in the dark suddenly rushes past the dim glow of the discarded data pad and up onto the crying girl's lap, A nymph. Without missing a beat the girl muffles her crying and begins patting the critter like one might stroke a cat gently down its back. The nymph begins to purr and chitter softly as the girl begins speaking to the little critter.
    "Will I remember mother and father? Will I get to see them again?" A crackling groan of movement in the dark all around the girl as the walls move and shift, the glint of countless Nymph eyeballs suddenly emerge, illuminated by the glow of the discarded datapad twinkle on every wall like stars in the night sky, the girl looks up and around briefly before turning her attention back to patting the Nymph on her lap. The walls groan and creak once more before producing a low rumble that comes from everywhere, a soft droning. "You will... Experience them... As they remembered you... As they remembered themselves... Your memories will become... Their memories... Their experiences will become... Your experiences... You will change... We will protect you... As you remember yourself..." 
    The girl sniffles and lays down in her makeshift nest of soft blankets, pillows, and plush toys as she listens, comforted by the droning response all around her whilst still clutching the nymph gently to her chest she barely huffs out the words. "Will it hurt?" Interrupted by a soft sniffle.
The groan from the walls grew silent as if considering the question in deep thought before once again grumbling a droning response. "No..." "And I'll get to see mother and father again?" The girl questioned again to a droning response. "Yes..." "O-oh-k, ok, I'm going to go to sleep now, when I wake up I hope mother and father come back, just like you said right?" she talks softly at the Nymph sitting with her as her eyes slowly close, "Can you sing for me like before?" her soft question barely audible, the Nymph stares at her then turns its gaze to the walls, the droning of the walls becomes rhythmic and serene, soft whistling echoes from the walls and ceiling, the twinkle of hundreds of eyes take turns humming and whistling at each other in unison... ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNdFu6bnhfU&t=1s ) the girl lets out a relaxing sigh feeling the calm and serenity of the droning melody and softly whistling walls, The glint and glimmer of her personal starlit night of eyes begin to shift and move almost like a fluid as hundreds of Nymphs flow down from the walls and over the girl like a wave, and with a single muffled yelp, she was no more, and in that instant every wall on the crippled ship undulated and groaned before joining in humming and whistling the soft melody amidst thousands of twinkling stars.

Edited by EmperorVoyd

Hey @EmperorVoyd, I'm here now!

So far from what I've read, everything looks pretty good. I was about to speak up about the seeds being trapped under the layer but thankfully you've answered my question in a very helpful fashion before I even had the need to talk to you!

There are a few things however that don't work too well in the story that I'd like to go over with you, one of which is the sheer size of the planetoid, and just how many seeds were put down. That is a lot of seeds. More or less too much, and it would have more or less meant that it already came from a Titan or just a mass gathering of a sheer number of Dionae beyond what anyone alive has seen before, and it would be the most life to have ever existed anywhere. On top of that, I don't think the researchers would have been able to of have been able to ferret away thousands upon thousands of samples from the Skrell, especially on such a matter that is so sensitive to them, Ship checks do happen especially for scientific explorations, and I don't think any ship has enough hidden panels to hide all of those without scans going off picking up a mass of biological entities! If it was a large asteroid where there were seeds that numbered in the thousands and the Skrell got involved by trying to grow the strange seeds as well out of curiosity, that would be a lot more probable.

The other thing is the appearance of the seeds. Was there any specific reasoning for this? Are they only different because of color? Or are the nymphs themselves different as well?

Next up is the second biggest issue. You have provided two different backstories and need to choose one. The first one is pretty decent, the second one leaves more questions. What was the ship? Why were there civilians on board? Why did the Dionae destroy the life inside?

Ok so here is the deal and I will try to clear things up as best I can.

The first story in the main section of the application was a heavily modified version of my previous application and is still showing the same issues as said previous application when it comes to the seeds and Skrell reactions and if I was still wanting to run with the story I'd be willing to change and redact whatever is necessary to make it qualified. I think my main issue now is that I don't know enough about the Skrell and their intimate relationship with Nymph and Dionae 

The second story, on the other hand, was a bit of fluff I was inspired to write related to an extended round I played mentioned above, wherein I played a single surviving nymph from a destroyed colossus that was attached to a ship that had crashed on one of the away missions. I came back to the station and began interacting with the crew, mainly the people who replied here and listed their names ICly over a five hour extended round, but I don't know how I would write the round itself into a story like the application above so I decided to write this little short story of something that happened before the away mission.

There are two versions of the story universe and that is a much bigger story, it gets dark at moments but has its charming bits in the greater detailed story, The girl can change species from Tajara to Human, that really doesn't matter, I picked Tajara due to the crashed ship ICly being full of Tajara skeletonized bodies, I assumed in my own headcanon a silent narrative of a crashed nobles ship, as I observed the away team before getting spawned as a nymph.
I will try to summarize the bigger story in a bit of point form, keep in mind the girl's age has changed in a recently revised larger story that's developing,
So let's just jump into it.

-Originally the structure that is the Colossus was stuck to an asteroid, orbitally bound around a weak star, very old and ancient but has never experienced anything but life on our asteroid in orbit around a particularly uninteresting star.

-Human or Tajara Noble/Wealthy family ship enters the system and makes an emergency crash landing unknowingly onto the colossus causing the entire ship to sink into the Colossus.

-All but two crew members are killed with the survivors being A small girl, the family daughter and one of the servants/slaves/live in worker,  whatever the case may be,the servant is older and his 20s and 30s, the girl is very young at the beginning of the crash at between 6 and 8 years old.

-The two survivors are stuck, unable to send a help transmission as every signal sent ends up getting absorbed by the Colossus, this encourages the Colossus to grow inward, breaching damaged areas of the ship and continuing to grow inside the ship over the years initially fuelled by all the various types of radiation coming off of the ship and its technology, invigorated as well by a primary reactor core ejected after the crash.

-Three years since the crash and the two survivors have aged and are still hopeful of rescue, the colossus continues to grow and infiltrate various corridors and rooms, silently watching these new forms of life with eyes in the walls only opening when the survivor's backs are turned.

-Four years since the crash, the Colossus has grown to have a presence in every room and corridor on the ship, the girls somewhat still blissfully innocent but the older servant becoming more and more hopeless, aggravated, blaming, and spiteful towards the girl, the little girl being observant has begun to notice the eyes in the walls secretly watching because kids are observant like that, she begins to secretly talk to the walls like one might console in a stuffed animal or other comfort items.

-Five years since the crash, the little girl becomes more and more introverted preferring to sit in various rooms and secretly talk to the walls versus hanging out or spending any time with the now angry and spiteful servant guy, things get worse between them as he begins halfing her food rations, the little girl 13 or 14 at this point by age but still in the mind of a six or seven-year-old is very much helpless to do anything. 

-5 1/2 years since the crash, Our servant guy incredibly paranoid and suspicious now has heard whisperers of her talking to the walls alone in the various rooms of the ship, Only to have her hiding the fact from him when he enters the room, only this time is different he catches her red-handed talking to the walls and has a meltdown freak out, convinced there is someone else on the ship or some other paranoid reason he attempts to threaten it out of her with violence, both physical and attempted sexual before losing his balance as he backs away in shock and horror when confronted with a wall of eyeballs opening behind the girl; unnoticed by her as she lay pummelled and still defiant on the floor, The man tracking backward and away before tripping over a bulkhead and cracking his skull open, he seizes and bleeds out as the frightened girl now traumatized from the whole event runs from the scene. 

-The girl frightened and terrified avoided that area of the ship for a week, but in her innocence became curious when the guy never showed up again as he always did in the mess hall when it was time to eat, so she worked up the nerve and return to the area only to be unable to find any trace of the man, his blood or even any evidence he even existed, unknowing to the girl his body consumed by the Colossus, she wanders the ship looking for him, calling for him but finds nothing.

-It's during this fruitless search by the girl when the Nymph we now know as "The one who sees amidst many eyes watching" makes its first appearance, they go through a process of bonding with an initially rocky start of the girl being frightened of the critter at first but eventually warming up to it like a family pet but with more intelligence.

-7 1/2 years since the crash, Over the next two years, the girl and the Nymph build a wonderful relationship, with a mental montage that includes the girl teaching the nymph how to play hide and seek, how to have tea at an imaginary tea party, and a host of other random things a childlike mind would introduce their toys or beloved pet to, even a touching scene where the nymph resists giving her a jab for a quick burst of learning when she recoils in fear from the sharp appendage, the nymph then adopting a much more gentle stance trying to brush and heal and tend the small wound incurred from a game of tag.

-The bonding process between the nymph and the girl is ongoing even as the ship and its systems fall apart around them, that is where the final more detailed story I wrote above takes place, no transmission will ever make it out, no one will ever find them, and she's going to die eventually, at this point as the story mentions, they full on talk to each other now and consuming and preserving her memories is the Colossus's way of trying to help this experience live on somehow inside itself through those memories.

And that brings us to the away mission and this Colossus's second encounter with sentient life. this part of the story happens ICly over the five hours extended round.
with that said, The above would be considered a heavily reduced version of a story that I would use in place of the original applications Lore outline with the planetoid and discolored seeds, instead, I'd be running with the listed summary above that connects into the five-hour extended round that I played as the Nymph.

Edited by EmperorVoyd

Well, gonna have to be honest here. Your event-character might not be the best to apply for with. There's a lot of inconsistencies, like how a small ship like that could carry that many rations for that many years for two people let alone one, even if they rationed down to one pack a day. And why wouldn't the colossus attempt to help the remaining crew when they knew what the radiowaves carried? On top of that it just seems like a lot of darkness purely for the shock value for what was meant to be an event that was supposed to be dark, but doesn't quite fit Aurora's general atmosphere outside of antagonists. I doubt NT would be comfortable hiring a child-eater.

It's probably in your best interest to stick with your original character that you were applying with as there isn't too much to drastically change, outside of maybe shortening their name a little due to the age of the Gestalt. And core nymphs are usually large and kept as a torso due to their centralized position between all nymphs, and allowing more information to be processed. The ones on the head are more for visual feedback and communication, as stated in the lore.

getting hung up on a small detail like rations or food supplies seemed a little bit silly to me, maybe it was a big cargo ship holding lots of food, I can make up all kinds of stuff.  As for the radio waves, the colossus has never encountered technology like this and just absorb the radio radiation as an energy source. since it was already big and entering a starved for energy state before the ship showed up.

from what I understand the bigger they get the slower they learn, such as the case that I was going with here.

No it's not. dark for the sake of being edgy, I'm almost 40 years old not an edgy teen, granted the story doesn't have a happy ending, and the story wouldn't be known to people, it was just flavorful fluff,I honestly thought it was a better story than the first one. What other inconsistencies are you worried about? I'd rather make the second-story work to fit with the 5hr  extended round that I was part of. 

Edited by EmperorVoyd

Details are important to me if someone decides to have an in-depth background for a character. I'd rather someone go and play a solid character if it has an in-depth background than one who has one that is constantly questioned. Yes, the food supplies issue is a minor detail, but it has a big effect on the relationship between the Dionae and the crew. I was also using it as just a minor example of an inconsistency. Not to mention that the Colossus may have very well ate the rations itself. But something like Dionae starving in space is improbable; space is full of radiation, so they are constantly being fed energy. As for their sizes, they move slow but can still learn at larger sizes. They're just not as sponge-like in comparison to a nymph, like children versus adults.

As for the second part. "shock value" doesn't necessarily mean "edgy" in this case. One is horror, the other one would just be a lot of misfortune. And I wasn't saying that you made it just to be dark, it was more along the lines that I felt that you made it very heavy for the sake of a creepy event to help add to the experience. That isn't so bad for such a situation. But this background is very dark in comparison to other applications even from other species I think for an everyday employee. While I do champion uniqueness and don't mind a dark story, I don't really think it is a good idea to pursue it.

16 hours ago, EmperorVoyd said:

granted the story doesn't have a happy ending, and the story wouldn't be known to people, it was just flavorful fluff,I honestly thought it was a better story than the first one.

This perhaps is the biggest problem. Although some backgrounds can be kept hidden from other characters, they shape the character and who they are, and what they base their decisions off of. This background isn't really a background as much as it is an event. We do not have what the original gestalt was about, nor do we have this cyclops gestalt's information. What kind of personality are they? What do they like? Their interest and pursuits? Again, I need to bring up points: why would NT ever hire them, especially if they're a child-eater? What are their skills? What would they even apply for? It is very barren in the way of the actual character themselves, which is supposed to be the main focus here.

If you want to, you can make another post in this thread with a second application in place of the first to properly do it, but I cannot guarantee anything. Your best and safest shot is with the first Dionae idea that you have applied with, but so far this second character isn't sitting well with me.

Did you mean "One Who Sees"? You can also add to their name as "One Who Sees Many" to show they're a full Gestalt now instead a Nymph and that they "grew up".

The only other suggestions that I can make is to make the planetoid an asteroid with about thirty seeds inside, and have NT and the Skrell work together on the seeds instead of ferret some of them away and have only three make it, over the years obtaining two more from reproducing naturally. Does that sound decent, or did you have another idea in mind?

Sounds good to me, I will play a few rounds as One Who Sees nymph as I have in the past, only with whitelist I will be able to grow and continue the characters development, Once the Nymph establishes a more permanent Cyclops form it will adopt the name "One Who Sees Many" 

My narrative would be to play the nymph as I usually do when I play as the nonvocal critter, I repeat this process through enough rounds until I've gone through enough nymphs to compile a body or  if I do well enough in a given round, grow and maintain the form that way, my past narrative before the changes was to grow and struggle to hold form the first few times, once or twice it grows ICly but tends to struggle to stay together and come apart at first, refusing or not quite getting the hang of solidifying the connections between individuals, instead relying on the mentioned "tight handholding" strategy of tendrils coiled tight around each other. after a little while of loose connections and bipedal form confusion it will solidify into your everyday walking talking critter.

Well @EmperorVoyd, when nymphs choose to merge with one another they do it in a protected area that's well-lit to give them both the time and energy to do so. They wouldn't move about and constantly interrupt the process. It's like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly in a way. Which means no publicly fumbling around. I can see the merging taking a while, perhaps all day until they figure out how to merge properly, but not what you suggest. However, you can have the Gestalt instead be rather uncoordinated and have difficulties doing tasks such as speaking until the nymphs delegate who does what and learn to work with one another. Does that sound like a good compromise to what you want and what's doable?