[Accepted] Lupo713's Unathi App (A Wolf Wants Scales)

Guest BoxWulf

BYOND Key: Lupo713
Character Names: Rocco DeFranco, Paxton Coates, Stefanie Sirel, Tristen Sibari, Reese Phobos
Species you are applying to play: Unathi
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Orange-brown
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes. 

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I’ve been playing SS13 for a pretty long time, circa 2007. 
I’ve never ventured into playing any kind of character outside of a human because I wasn’t sure if I could roleplay it accurately and in accordance with the lore. 
That being said, I enjoy the idea of an antiquated feudal system being involved in a deep, futuristic society. I feel like stepping out of my comfort zone and into a role where such an upbringing can shape the personality and create a unique point-of-view that’s not a shared perspective outside of Unathi culture could be a lot of fun. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Role-playing a human is typically effortless given the ability to observe, repeat, and implement traits into characters of a relatable nature with little need to “think outside the box.” That being said, while there are characteristics that are “human-esque” within the Unathi species, these are attributes that require a valid change to the play-style both from an IC and OOC perspective. 
Just because you physically CAN slice an antag to ribbons, doesn’t mean you SHOULD. 
And obviously the mechanical differences in-game (fast sprints, heat tolerance, no nutritional value of anything not meat) shouldn’t necessarily be considered a buff, or a de-buff, because to the character, it’s simply a way of life and should be incorporated into playing as such. 

Character Name: Kastaz Azarik

Please provide a short backstory for this character

Born in 2426 on the outskirts of Skalamar, Kastaz always had a penchant for the medical field, especially during and following the Contact War. Being the only son of a small-time Guildsmen within the Izweski Hegemony, he found himself taking on the mantle of an assistant when he was eight years old, helping his father promote and maintain his living as a trader. Still, the elder Azarik identified that Kastaz had a talent for reading, an innate fascination for sciences, and the body worked to the point where he would find him up by candlelight in the wee hours before the dawn with his eyes glued to old textbooks, discarded by the students of Skalamar University.  With that, he, more-or-less, gave Kastaz the time, space, and resources that he would need to devote himself to studying, at cost to his own health as he worked himself ragged, providing for both his son and his wife. 
Though Kastaz had a knack for memorizing treatment guidelines and patching up friends after vigorous exercises and martial practices, that didn’t translate well to his own ability for combat. He spent more time delving into books and research and, subsequently, embarrassed himself during any display of melee practice.

He was 13 when the first nuclear bombs were dropped during the Contact War in 2439 and the resulting casualties left their scars on his psyche. That was the turning point where the idle flame of intrigue for medicine became an inferno of passion. The moment he turned 18, he enlisted as a combat medic, with a firm blessing from his father, and although there would only be five years left of the fighting, he saved, and lost, more lives than he could count. However, steadfast and strong-willed, the arduous five-year trial ended but the fire for saving lives did not. It became something of an ideology for him, almost as if Sk’akh itself made it clear that this was his destiny. Upon returning home, he announced that, with the training and on-the-job experience he received, he would attend Skalamar University and was accepted on the recognition of his valor during the Contact War but was still subjected to the immense and unaffordable tuition that it would cost. Taking financial assistance from NanoTrasen was the only option and, with that, he indebted himself with a contract that he was honor bound to fulfill. This was a glancing blow to his father who had virtually sacrificed everything for his son to achieve his dreams and further the clan's name.

Finishing his Masters, followed by a two-year residency for surgical practice, he was ready to make the grand voyage to Tau Ceti until his father’s health suddenly deteriorated. The years of working himself ragged to provide for his son’s passion had finally taken their toll and he was spiraling, fast. Kastaz wanted to abandon NanoTrasen’s, now, ridiculous contract and treat his flesh and blood that provided, cared, and propelled him to succeed but he was ushered away, that it would bring shame to his family. The only option he had to save face for himself was to appeal to his Lord, whom, after waiting weeks before an audience, simply denied him and waved him off. With no other options, he swore he would return with enough credits that his father would be a noble, leaving his mother to care for him while he worked and funneled them enough credits that they could survive until he returns. 

What do you like about this character?

The more I read over my app, the more I really enjoy the idea of this character.
Starting from humble beginnings and working to the bone to better yourself is just such an important facet of any character's development. Adding the twist of an archaic honor system that you're rigorously conditioned to follow, even when subjected to feelings of guilt and abandonment, is a novel concept that I'm really looking forward to playing out.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

7/10, there's always room for improvement.

Notes:

This is my first ever whitelist so I do expect a bit of criticism, but I'm absolutely open to it. 
Fire away. 

Edited by BoxWulf
fixed a typo! pt2: formatting!

I'd put that 7/10 on role-playing ability way higher personally, but anyway.

I'm a big fan of the application, it highlights the whole Unathi honour deal thing pretty well, and it makes your character's motivations very clear, providing for his family and honouring the contracts that he's stuck in, even if he resents them.

Roleplay wise, I'm also completely confident that Lupo would do extremely well with a whitelist and not fail to disappoint, all his characters are different and well thought out and are all a joy to interact with. It's a big +1 from me.

Lupo is an incredible roleplayer, and this is an excellent app that showcases a lot of aspects of Unathi culture: martial prowess, the contact war, honor, feudalism, religion...

You definitely understand what you're gunning for here with this app, and I like the character. He feels very well-rounded as a person.

Big +1

Lupo is always a pleasure to roleplay with, no matter if the characters I'm roleplaying with are at each others necks or best of friends, he demonstrates the expertise to roleplay under all kinds of pressure. And to showcase how to properly play certain characters from the aspect that they begun with. The design of the two characters I've seen so far, Paxton Coates and Rocco DeFranco, they're both brilliant characters. And I have no uncertainty that if you get this whitelist you'll move the earth itself. 

All of the features of the backstory fit into what I would assume was the story of a Unathi if you gave it to me without any particular names of locations, and I don't even fully comprehend 40% of lore.

+1

image.png.b8c847468139bb1deed7ccedb61e74a2.png

Lupo at least to me, is a good roleplayer, even if I have only interacted with one of his characters, Paxton.

The application is also very good, including at least a tiny bit of all the Unathi culture, and I'm all for some good old fashioned debt to NanoTrasen making you leave your loved ones to fulfill your student loan debt. The only problem I had with it was the formatting, which Lupo fixed. So, after that was fixed, I'm going to give this my green +1.

Your character Paxton is, from all I observed, an absolute meme. The last recent interaction I had with them was, as he, during a conversation with a scientist I had, you stuffed them into a locker, wrapped it and labeled it "gay baby prison". I've seen other moments like these, but this is the most recent one. I won't start with retconning an open suicide + funeral on station with like, 30-40 people attending and witnessing it, with another character you did. Can you explain to me, why you would rate your roleplaying ability 7/10?

The character you proposed and their story looks good, though, I feel you could just play them as your next meme character.

2 hours ago, KingOfThePing said:

Your character Paxton is, from all I observed, an absolute meme. The last recent interaction I had with them was, as he, during a conversation with a scientist I had, you stuffed them into a locker, wrapped it and labeled it "gay baby prison". I've seen other moments like these, but this is the most recent one. I won't start with retconning an open suicide + funeral on station with like, 30-40 people attending and witnessing it, with another character you did. Can you explain to me, why you would rate your roleplaying ability 7/10?

The character you proposed and their story looks good, though, I feel you could just play them as your next meme character.

Hi! 
I appreciate the feedback but I do have to address two of the points you proposed. 

the first, the retconning. 
it wasn’t retconned, the character himself was a clone that I ran through the scenario with one of the human lore dev’s and I’m more than happy to share it with you over discord. 
the second, I did attend the funeral as a ghost observer, and not as an actual character. I’m not sure how I could prove that, but my comments in LOOC were with my BYOND key so I think that would confirm it. 

While I am guilty of being a little meme’y with Paxton at times, for the most part, I try to keep him cohesive and played to his part. Unfortunately, a lot of the role-play that I get to do with him is over the Relay. For that specific scenario, I’m sorry if it disrupted your gameplay, it was a silly joke between friends and in, hindsight, was more puerile than anything else.

I feel like my role-play is a 7/10 because there’s always room for improvement and at times I can break immersion for a moment (I am human) but I do my best to involve other characters and stipulate roleplay. 

if you have further concerns, you’re more than welcome to DM me. I hope I’ve never presented myself as someone who couldn’t handle 1 to 1 criticism. 

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I have never seen Paxton break character. Nor has he retconned a canon death. He had admin approval to revive as a clone. And he has rpd the change in relationships and stuff well.

I will reply to the app in depth tonight. I am on medicine for a chest infection so there is a chance i will fall asleep instead. At the most itll be tomorrow.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
Guest Marlon Phoenix

I've checked with staff. There's nothing that brings me any alarm or red flags to the level that I would deny the application based on it. Rest assured that we do keep an eye on new whitelistees for a bit, so you can always bring any complaints our way.

With that said, the application is very solid. I am accepting it.