[Accepted] SonicGotNuke's Moderator (Slave to the Server) application

Basic Information

Byond Account: sonicgotnuked

Character Name(s):

https://gyazo.com/ba7d32652d9e9b330a0fdbfd1b02dca7

AI Name(s): I did GAL(X)Y as a borg a couple times. SLEEPY and SLEEPY 2.0. I don't really play much synth anymore unless you want me to start digging out ancient names that I've disowned. 

Started E.Y.E

Discord username + tag: Nuke #1329.

Timezone: -7 Standard Mountain Time

When are you on Aurora?: Weekends. Weekday afternoons depending on school and other events that I am mandated to go to.

Experience Ancient gmod admin. Was a trial mod (failed) for Aurora for a month.

How long have you played SS13?: 3+ years

How long have you played on Aurora: 3 Years? I feel old. 2016 in Exodus days

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: A Lot because I have no life :0

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: This one

Have you read through the criteria thread and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: No perm or temp bans. I've had an old synth perm ban and perm antag ban back in the day that I've long since appealed.

Personality I often times shitpost on discord and meme a lot on the server, especially when I'm complaining about things. I don't straight up complain, I shitpost. Mainly about game mechanics. I like to go into fun nostalgia trips at times. Personally, I think I'm pretty well rounded. I keep myself out of trouble. I play this game. I am supportive to people who are truly trying to improve. I don't know how to fill space, I've been around despite a couple hiatuses from the server.

Why do you play SS13?: I play ss13 because it took over my life. I can't stop playing it. I find it fun to RP. I can't escape. Help Me. I always think back to this game and just want to play it sometimes. Yes, it sometimes gets boring, but I still enjoy the shenanigans that can happen and some good antag rounds. Plus the learning curve is fun to overcome.

Why do you play on Aurora?: Because I like to RP a character. I enjoy interacting with other people and their ideas. I enjoy the slow pace and fast pace side of the server where some rounds leave you in a chair RPing and others have you running from a tyrannical wizard who is asking you if your skeleton is just itching to walk free. I enjoy the constant updates that adjust and remake the game. I also enjoy the creative freedom that comes with attempting original gimmicks. Sometimes they flop. Sometimes they make a stellar round that leaves the adrenaline running. This server is like a drug. I also like the community. 

What do moderators do?:

They moderate the server. Moderators are those people who pop in and examine both sides of a situation that both players may have been ignorant towards while being the judicial judges of the rules.  They also play a secondary role to assist people with mechanics, quell the discord chat, and hand out punishment to those who need that extra shove off the cliff to improve. Now, I know what you're asking...

"Why sonic! I thought the mean moderator has a primary job to BAN me!

Why dear random person! This is completely wrong! Moderators Discuss. If one person shoots an ahelp about BorgMcBorg sedating them, often times if its valid, it's an explaining factor to tell them why they did it while careful to not share meta. They help improve by doing this. They manage the community by being active and discussing. Moderators are human and mistakes can be discussed in staff complaints. Communication, Discussion, and Explanation. 

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: While I can go on about the three main points I hinted at above, Moderating on Aurora is to uphold another standard: Roleplay. Unlike some more LRP servers where admins just keep the rules in line and all issues is OOC, moderators on Aurora keep the server in line. HRP wouldn't be HRP if everyone was allowed to play BaldiMcGreytide and welder bomb their boss because they took their golden brand bald cream. Aurora is special in that regard. Moderators have to use logical thinking throughout the process and query both sides. Why did two non antags shoot each other on extended? Pull the "Do you have a minute?" bwoink and ask them because it may be for a completely IC reason. Moderators determine between IC and OOC issues and solve OOC issues within their abilities. That's something that isn't on LRP servers and is an extra step. Yes, your character can break rule one. No, you as a player can not break rule one. (Don't be a dick). Seriously, give me criticism and discuss with me if you think something is wrong. 

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I honestly spent time thinking back to my Trial Mod failure, and I want to give it another chance! I'm active mostly in the community when I'm actually active! I want to be active! I want to give it another shot. I always enjoyed Aurora and why not help it ease the 27 tickets in a round ranging from graytide telling medical to suck their toes (When I was a trial) to complicated problems layered in grey line after grey line of information. It's a responsibility I the time to take up. This is just another learning curve in the game: how to deal with the mythical human race and the person sitting behind a computer screen.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: Calm, logical, and willing to improve myself. I've greatly improved, not just in the game, but as a person in these past few years. From my shitty tajara app way back then to now. 

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I think I handle them pretty well. I've always been able to handle short term stress that may come with moderating a server. 

Anything Else You Want to Add: Yes, I did meme a little bit in here, but I wanted something entertaining to read through and write. I wanted to use it to express my points. The title is a meme as well. Too memey?

I don't know if this is the place to ask my question but I do think it can perhaps tie into what it means to be a moderator on the server.

Although I have only approached you once over looc without a response, I am curious why you aren't particularly open about sharing circuitry designs or knowledge with other people? Considering how difficult they are to make or understand (at least as it currently stands for my learning of circuitry) I have felt it neccessary to share my learning onto others who are even more beginner than myself.

I will add however that because I haven't properly come to you, I can't say I know for a fact if you are or aren't willing to share but it has painted an impression. An impression that I could be very wrong about! After all, we have seldom interacted with each other.

9 minutes ago, niennab said:

Although I have only approached you once over looc without a response, I am curious why you aren't particularly open about sharing circuitry designs or knowledge with other people? Considering how difficult they are to make or understand (at least as it currently stands for my learning of circuitry) I have felt it neccessary to share my learning onto others who are even more beginner than myself.

I'm willing to teach people ICly when I have the spare time (not antag). I don't want to give out all the cool designs. I show them because, while yes I'm prideful, I want people to see the possibilities. If you give out the cool stuff you make for free, the cool stuff isn't cool anymore. You may ask, may say no, may say yes. I've personally went up and examined peoples designs in character and asked them questions for them to solve that was related to their issues. 

You learn by experimentation and solving things yourself. Yes I can copy pastebin designs and make a whole novel and give them out, but that removes the fun in IE when you're building something by the book. (Besides, most the stuff I made was cheese stuff that can shut people down with a few clicks)

Regarding LOOC, I'm not too sure, I may have been pulled away or not, an antag, or focused on my own things. Sorry :(

Edited by sonicgotnuked
5 hours ago, Datamatt said:

The IC vs. raider team thing really does not paint you in a positive light. What are your thoughts on it?

Memey and I've straight after placed a suggestion on the fourms to nerf the drones by making them entities instead of items. Did I cheese them? Frankly yes. Was it warranted? Depending on who you ask. The raiders did hijack science and put a gun to our heads. Would I ever do it again? No, I wouldn't. 

I can't really +1 this.

You're exceptionally hostile. I have a memory disorder but the only reason I still remember you after 6 months is that people have been showing me shittalking me a lot on discord and elsewhere, and you've been incredibly passive aggressive to me when I got back. I was willing to put the shittalking aside but the fact that your attitude hasn't changed when in front of me just seems unacceptable for a moderator.

I even now recall several instances where you've gone over the line several times in the suggestions forums as well as my ban request thread to the point where an admin had to step in and delete your posts because you kept flaunting about how everyone wanted me gone and people were happy for it. I can't really picture you acting mature or impartial in a situation where you have to give out bans if you take things to a personal level like that.

Edited by BurgerBB
9 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

I can't really picture you acting mature or impartial in a situation where you have to give out bans if you take things to a personal like that.

I don't feel like I've exactly taunted you because I placed a bad example. It was my bad I posted in the ban fourms six months ago regardless.

You're exceptionally hostile. I have a memory disorder but the only reason I still remember you after 6 months is that people have been showing me shittalking me a lot on discord and elsewhere, and you've been incredibly passive aggressive to me when I got back. I was willing to put the shittalking aside but the fact that your attitude hasn't changed when in front of me just seems unacceptable for a moderator.

Can you please explain how I've been passive aggressive when you've came back? I really did need a break from this game, which I took, and I don't personally hold anything against you since you've came back.

gone over the line several times in the suggestions forums

Examples? I need to know what I've posted so I can understand when. I don't personally remember me ever showing hostilities other then disagreement inside a suggestion fourm.

Edited by sonicgotnuked
1 minute ago, sonicgotnuked said:

I don't feel like I've exactly taunted you because I placed a bad example. It was my bad I posted in the ban fourms six months ago regardless.

Can you please explain how I've been passive aggressive when you've came back? I really did need a break from this game, which I took, and I don't personally hold anything against you since you've came back.

Examples? I need to know what I've posted so I can understand when. I don't personally remember me ever showing hostilities other then disagreement.

I cannot provide examples because I do not save every single encounter that has happened to me, especially in OOC where most of it occured. I also cannot be bothered to go through 500 of your posts and find the ones that offend me because 1. The search function here cannot cover that sort of thing, and 2. I don't have time for that.

I can, however, direct you to your own discord where you mention the word "burger" because it hass some instances of shittalking, unsolicited advice, poor attitude, and rants about or directed towards me, which is reflective of your behavior in OOC.

26 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

I cannot provide examples because I do not save every single encounter that has happened to me, especially in OOC where most of it occured. I also cannot be bothered to go through 500 of your posts and find the ones that offend me because 1. The search function here cannot cover that sort of thing, and 2. I don't have time for that.

I can, however, direct you to your own discord where you mention the word "burger" because it hass some instances of shittalking, unsolicited advice, poor attitude, and rants about or directed towards me, which is reflective of your behavior in OOC.

Right, I went through my own posts to reflect on what I've put down. I admit, I was rather heated at the time and jumped on the 'ban burger' train then I shortly went into a hiatus about a month later. Is that your fault? No. Did I disagree with you a lot? Yes. Did I personally see your character as a bad light? Yes. I remember instances in OOC during that time where I went off whenever some of your code was mentioned and I disagreed with a certain section. My posts inside your ban request while not directly trying to attack your character in my regards, is still something I should've kept out of. 

Going into recently, I understand how due to past experiences, what I said on discord regarding the body horror fetish stuff may have been put into a context of passive aggressive. I see that now, but it wasn't my intention nor have I personally felt hatred recently. 

Regarding your suggestions, I don't exactly know where I've ever attacked you other then disagreement. Yes, I disagree a lot with you. I have to work on keeping in mind how the lack of tone inside text can be portrayed. If you want to ever have a conversation with me Burger (You don't have to, because I know that you feel like I'm hostile) I'll be up for it. Thanks for the feedback though, because yes, I do have some flaws.

Honestly, I miss the old times where we discussed phoron salt temps. I actually want to repair my feelings towards you and your feelings towards me.

Edited by sonicgotnuked
  • 1 month later...