Staff Complaint - Garnacus

BYOND Key: BurgerBB
Staff BYOND Key: garnacus
Game ID: b3q-apl8
Reason for complaint: Poor handling of a ticket.

Right. At around 0:40 A Skrell scientist (Xiialt Weish) emagged me as borg. They gave me syndicate laws or whatever saying that they were an operative and I was supposed to follow orders. I asked for orders, and they told me to just be normal or whatever and they'll PDA when they needed me. I listened, and buggered off for the rest of the round providing assistance to medical.

An entire 1 hour and 20 minutes later I found them in a Durand and stealth suit. I rolled my eyes but continued along with whatever gimmick they had. They then announced that they'd do a demonstration, in the holodeck. Two people came, Preston Prestoff and some unknown (face covered, ect). Xiialt Weish then declared they're an insane skrell, and an unknown kept pointing at themselves. Xiialt Weish asked if they wanted to be shot, and they nodded. Xiialt Weish then proceeded to climb in the durand and shoot them with explosive gyroget rounds. Medical was called because they somehow managed to miss every shot, but the wall behind them was close enough for it to deal some explosive damage. Security was called, and the dude in the mech was immediately shat on because of ion rifles and how unrobust they actually were. They ended up dying very shortly after because they tried fighting security instead of fleeing.

I ahelped Xiialt Weish for four reasons:

- They spent the entirety of the round maxing out research, building a fully armed Durand, and building a stealth suit with modules in robotics with the intent of fighting security.

- They had absolutely minimal escalation once they had everything.

- They subverted me and did absolutely nothing with it. They emagged us basically just because they could but not because they needed to.

- They broke several antagonist rules. https://imgur.com/a/aTLJChp

Now this isn't just me guessing people's motive; they literally declared themselves insane with the goal of shooting up the station. This is absoultely what they were going for. They made it clear that they were just simply insane and wanted to shoot up the station in a Durand. That was LITERALLY their goal.

ViWvfZ4.png

So I ahelped it.  I ahelped. I stated that Xiialt Weish spent an hour and thirty minutes building an exosuit and arming themselves up, subverting borgs, and other prep just to fire on people semi-randomly.

Garnacus grabs the ticked and argues that he didn't see them gank anyone, and that attempting to gank people wasn't against the rules. If sec neutralizing someone "go on a short terrorizing spree like a phycopath" then it's fine because sec stopped it and the psychopath didn't actually do it. I bring up the fact that his gimmick was literally "I am insane, time to shoot up my workplace." then deflected with the fact that there was a shitter janitor asking to be shot despite that only being a fraction of what happened. I bring up the fact that they spent approximately 75% of the round gearing up and preparing to gank security but Garnacus deflected with "It was okay to shoot security because security shot first." and kept to it.

It would help if the logs were posted because I don't want to accidentally misrepresent what I said or what Garnacus said. To me it just seems like he was making excuses for the person despite that person breaking several server rules.

1 hour ago, BurgerBB said:

They spent the entirety of the round maxing out research, building a fully armed Durand, and building a stealth suit with modules in robotics with the intent of fighting security.

This is not against the rules

They had absolutely minimal escalation once they had everything

I dont really agree. They called preston to the holodeck and monologued a bit before they shot someone who was asking for it. Kinda lame but meh.

They subverted me and did absolutely nothing with it. They emagged us basically just because they could but not because they needed to.

This is not against the rules

They broke several antagonist rules

I agree it was kind of lame but i just did not feel the need to bwoink them because the effect was so mundane. They tried to shoot a few people and security beat their ass. I felt that was all that needed to happen. I decide when to bwoink people. 

I feel like the one major thing that was ignored here is that their gimmick was that they were psychotic and wanted to shoot up the station. That was their gimmick 100%. That gimmick is literally an example of things you should not do as antag in the rules. I don't understand why nothing was done.

16 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

I feel like the one major thing that was ignored here is that their gimmick was that they were psychotic and wanted to shoot up the station. That was their gimmick 100%.

Because its not what he actually did

He got rekt by security. If he had ganked a load of people then we might have a different story on our hands. 

1. He called preston to the holodeck

2. Made both borgs stand beside him

3. gloated over science radio about how he subverted the borg and built weapons

4. Something with a janitor asking to be shot or something

5. janitor gets shot

6 OH NO HE SHOT SOMEONE SEC!

7 sec show up with ion gun

8 sec ion his mech and beat his ass after a small fight

F

I do not bwoink people for failing spectacularly. 

I think you're missing the part where he spent an hour and thirty minutes prepping a stealth suit and a fully equipped durand, set his antag objective to "get research maxed out and go on a short terrorizing spree like a psychopath around the crew", subverted two borgs "just in case" and left them hanging for quite some time, and started acting insane in the holodeck with no clear motive, other than just plain ol' insanity.

ViNNxr5.png

rJRHmkP.png

> try to do things which will be fun for others, not only yourself

> no unmotivated/not roleplayed out mass murderer

> no murder for the sake of murder

> the average joe will not simply decide to blow up their workplace one day

> the more drastic the action, the more motivated your character has to be to commit to it

Spending 2 minutes in the holodeck while spending 1 hour and 30 minutes prepping for your gimmick, leaving your subverted borgs in the dark for an hour, and then finally unleashing it because the crew transfer shuttle was called shouldn't be acceptable as roleplay, even if they were ridiculously unrobust and got shut down instantly. 

If I was a traitor who spent 90% of the round preparing to fight sec, spending 2% of it roleplaying with a single person, and the other 8% trying to kill security but failing spectacularly, I should AT LEAST get some sort of nudge from an admin saying "hey maybe you shouldn't do that."

5 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

Spending 2 minutes in the holodeck while spending 1 hour and 30 minutes prepping for your gimmick

This is not a numbers game. I have already explained to you why i do not consider his actions bwoinkable. 

6 minutes ago, BurgerBB said:

If I was a traitor who spent 90% of the round preparing to fight sec, spending 2% of it roleplaying with a single person, and the other 8% trying to kill security but failing spectacularly, I should AT LEAST get some sort of nudge from an admin saying "hey maybe you shouldn't do that."

I am more interested in the damage he actually does. I am sorry if you disagree with that but you're just going to have to accept that because that is how i have done things. 

What about the fact that their entire gimmick was that they were insane and put absolutely zero effort into it and literally only cared about themselves? I was one of the borgs that were subverted and they did literally nothing between us except the fact that I just happened to be roaming around the station when they decided to try and assault security.

Why aren't we following antag guidelines anymore? What they did was an absolute prime example of what you shouldn't do as antag. It's even listed as an example as I said multiple times.

As i have said many times now i care more about the effect of rules being broken more than i do about the rules being broken themselves. You can go down the list of rules and compare his literal actions with the letter of the rules and find some conflicts. Thats fine to do and im sure staff from other servers would agree with doing it that way. I personally prefer coupling it with the context of their effect. In this instance i do not believe his effect was notable enough to warrant a bwoink. I completely understand why you would disagree. I acknowledge it is a valid and consistent way to view things. I just like my way better. 

Right, I'm going to put this here because I was the traitor and I feel like this is warranted. I'm not going to go into any further details. I'll also clear up any confusion with my gimmick and the ambition. Me stating that I'm going to go one a terrorizing spree did not equal me stating I was going to shoot up people. I could for all intensive purposes aim guns at everyone without ever firing a bullet to pull the same effect while gloating about how stacked I was. Yes, I got shot up by security, and I knew it was deserved.

No, shooting up the station wasn't my plan. I was planning on doing a power flex. I only claimed "Oh good! Because I'm a psychopath!" when the janitor asked me to get shot. 

I understand the frustration, and I'm sorry if I failed to provide you with any sort of experience. I probably should of not EMAGGed the borgs. I spent too long preparing mechs and suits and was more focused on the research staff then the borgs I emagged. Yes, I've failed to include the borgs. Yes, I spent too long actually preparing and maneuvering through the restrictions of science when I was a scientist convincing everyone we should build military grade mechs.

I did apologies in the round as well. Not all my gimmicks are perfect representations and I did fail spectacularly at the end. It wasn't a good round in my part and I wanted to at least get something in the end with a sort of power flex for the crew to respond to. I honestly planned on shooting a few windows until the janitor offered himself to be shot.

Edited by sonicgotnuked

I have to agree with garn, he did not really broke any of the rules. Sure, emagging the cyborgs would be fine to avoid them coming after you. And killing people is fine, as long it serves a story and there is escalation. From what I see, he did interact with the crew and gave them enough foreshadowing, so he did not go around murderboning. Sometimes things don't go on our way. And as I said, can't really punish people if they have not broken any server rules.

I will consider this complaint solved, I will lock this in around 24 hours or so.