[Processing] HELIX's Custom Chassis

Flamingo

BYOND Key: Ejundersc0re

Character name: Leah Conally, Anatu Parish, Adrien White, HELIX

Item name: HELIX's Custom Chassis

Why is your character carrying said item to work? HELIX has been confined to the same chassis for longer than its databanks are able to account for (likely due to databank corruption). The chassis is larger than the newer landmate models due to space requirements at the time of construction and programming. Additionally, it also makes use of four crab-like legs instead of the standard "wheels" that the other landmates use. While this has no adverse effects on its ability to travel through the station (gravity or null), wheels have proven to be a cheaper alternative for the newer models, and as such the jointed crab legs have been largely phased out.

Item function(s): It serves as a cyborg chassis for an engineering cyborg (with a focus on atmospherics). No special functions (only because I think that sort of thing would be too difficult to implement, though I had some interesting ideas).

Item description: A dulled orange chassis with cyan highlights that resembles that of a large crab. It has four jointed legs that extend out beneath it and a large elongated "head". The front of the head resembles that of the standard "Landmate" chassis, though the back half has been expanded outward and has additional plating over what appears to be a large interior chamber. "HELIX" is printed neatly on either side of the chassis head. The eye glows a non-standard cyan instead of green when the borg is online.

Item appearance: I have the sprite complete, but apparently cannot attach a .dmi file, so I will upload a picture shortly.

Additional comments:

79cd9850a3.png

There's a few custom chassis left over from good ol' bay already in the code, actually. One of which I've seen an admin use while playing synthetics before, and one of which is interestingly an artificial human.

There's also an entire "Combat" module, which I've always wanted to try out. It looks kind of like a droideka.

We can apply to make Custom Chassis? Quite interesting, I may just have to make one myself if it is possible, considering I only like three of the current chassis, but you have my full support on this one, since I believe I have seen HELIX before, and you seem to know what you're doing and are quite a competent roleplayer.

Edited by Guest
We can apply to make Custom Chassis? Quite interesting, I may just have to make one myself it is possible, considering I only like three of the current chassis, but you have my full support on this one, since I believe I have seen HELIX before, and you seem to know what you're doing and are quite a competent roleplayer.

It's been feasible for a while. Skull's just been too busy to set up an application procedure for this particular situation.

HELIX is an older model borg that has remained in the same chassis for a very long time. The chassis reflects knowledge and needs of his creator at the time, with a larger upper casing where all of the sensitive bits are stored due to the larger space requirements at the time, as well as jointed "spider-like" legs, which have been replaced by wheels on the newer models due to how much easier it is to replace a few wheels rather than repair a large jointed leg. While I've attempted to reflect HELIX's unique personality through chassis flavor text, I decided to take it to the next level by seeing if something like this was possible, so that I could better represent how he works and thinks. HELIX is a very utilitarian borg, with minimal personality that slowly begins to unfold to reveal much deeper understanding of the world around him than one might come to expect based on his outward expression towards others. His chassis is old and the paint is dulled, however the name HELIX is always neatly printed on the sides of the chassis, as if freshly painted every shift, because he takes what might be labelled "pride" in his work and in his name, and on some level, seeks to show this to the world around him.

On a side note, as much as I'd like to give this chassis a use that differentiates it from the rest of the chassis', I don't think it's fair to expect someone to have to code something "different" about the chassis, so it will be purely cosmetic, which I know is something that is generally heavily criticized by those reviewing the applications. However, if someone wishes to discuss some of the interesting ideas I have, I'm more than willing to share. :)

Sorry for the delay, swamped with school and been using the spare time I've had to rp. Here's some basic recolors I did in about half an hour.

In order, I have the standard module (service android, which I intend to recolor the highlights when I think of somethig better)

Janiborg (might darken it a bit)

Medical Borg (I intend to modify the color to be less... blinding and show definition between the edge of the chassis and anything behind it better)

Mining/Cargo Borg (I intend to modify the color to better fit cargo. I have another color in mind that I can use but I didn't want to dig it up just yet, these are just proof of concept photos)

Securiborg (I'm quite happy with this one actually, black and red look good)

and last, the engineering/atmos borg.

aa2803d610.png

Here's my next question... Why not make this available to the public instead? Like, there's a huge difference between clothing custom items, and cyborg custom chassis. There's a myriad of clothing available on-station without custom items, but cyborgs only have 3 icon_states for each module. Get where I'm going with this? This segways me into something I've been wanting to bring up as a suggestion: Lets give this icon_state a specific fluff text that can't be edited. For example:

This is Default Robot-39!

Its cover is closed.

It appears to be in stand-by mode.

[Mandatory fluff text] This is the _____ chassis. It is an older Nanotrasen Robotic Aide model; as shown by its use of quadrupedal legs.

[Player's fluff text that can be edited]

If we did something like this, then I'd think it would be pretty neat for the server! You are contributing to the server, having some, small impact on the lore that doesn't really have to go under the lore team's scrutiny (because I'm sure they can let cyborg models pass), and it's still something you can call your own. Ultimately, it's your choice since it's your sprite. Which would you prefer?

I originally intended for this sprite to differentiate HELIX as an older model from other cyborgs (specifically the engineering landmate chassis), as well as show HELIX is more atmospherics oriented than other engineering cyborgs to give him some personality.

I'd prefer not make this sprite available to the entire server, as I feel it would diminish the differences in his chassis, which was the original intention of such as request, however I'd be willing to possibly do some spriting work in the future if the server requires so.

however I'd be willing to possibly do some spriting work in the future if the server requires so.

I think we'd all like that, as a matter of fact. You can even submit an app.

Anyway, that being your decision on it, I'll accept your custom application. The prefix on your thread will be set to [Processing], and be put in the archives. When the prefix is changed to [Completed], then your chassis will be available for you to use.