Pennant's Robotic Intelligence Circuit

Contextual

Byond key: Contextual

Discord key: Contextual#5360

Character Name: Pennant

Item name: robotic intelligence circuit (PENN-2681) [sic]

Item function(s): Functions as a standard roundstart RIC, acting as Pennant's brain in the same way the current randomized ones do.

Item description: Default description. ("The pinnacle of artificial intelligence which can be achieved using classical computer science.")

Why is your character bringing this item to work?: Because he's a relatively simple software program, able to be (and therefore preferentially, per cost savings) run on simple circuitry as opposed to full-blown positronics.

How did your character obtain this item: These are some really awkward questions for this 'item' in particular. He obtained it by being downloaded and installed onto it. If someone is seeing it, it's probably because Pennant's been a bad egg that round.

What value does this item have to your character, and what story does it tell?: Ultimately the value of this item boils down to providing a greater level of consistency for the character, and enables the character to be identifiable even when reduced to its lowest state. A recurring issue with RIC's as they are now, is that the name of the 'voice' assigned to the brain is entirely randomized and indistinct, which leads to a rather unrealistic level of difficulty in actually identifying the chip, even when it's speaking. This item would allow the board to be clearly stamped, designated, and identifiable as belonging to/having belonged to Pennant, at a glance, and when it speaks.

Sprites: N/A; Default Sprite

Additional Comments: Alongside the name change of the item, the name of the 'brain' inside the board would also need to be changed to the same designation (PENN-2681), so that the disembodied voice is not randomized and matches the markings on the board.

Something which has always amused me regarding Pennant is how simple it is and behaves, and the tremendous skill in managing to keep Pennant consistent despite the simplicity, with all the logs from previous interactions shining through and accumulating. This item would be yet another layer of consistency that, while at first minor, would still add to the greater whole that is Pennant.

Plus, it would be incredibly hilarious to recognize Pennant's board in more hectic rounds at first glance. It'd certainly raise some brows.

+1

1 hour ago, Contextual said:

I was previously informed by Drwago that it would be possible for coding to be done on the backend to enable this. Has that sentiment changed?

Well, no one asked me about this, and I kinda code all custom items. It is not really possible right now. And I guess that having your own custom borg/posibrain name would work better as an character setup option than a custom item request.

• 3 weeks later...