Unban Request - Tomiix

BYOND Key: TomiixStarslasher

Total Ban Length: 72 Hours

Banning staff member's Key: Albyrek 

Reason of Ban: xoTXwTk.png

Reason for Appeal:

TL;DR I accidentally ignored fear rp because I forgot how certain mechanics worked, and new changes to the server confused me. I accidentally power-gamed due to a bug. I understand how these actions are bad, harmed the fun of a player, and agree that rules were breached, and I resolve to use my new understandings of the game mechanics to ensure it doesn't happen again.

---

Hey, it's your boy, Tomiix. My return to the Aurora has been kinda shakey what with getting used to the changes and remembering how SS13 works. After a year or more of inactivity I have returned, and having a blast, besides from my antagonist activities. Yesterday Alberyk gave me a well reasoned warning about how to approach dealing with AI's, and reasonable central command messages. Today I joined a late in progress round to a kind of hectic situation, and was waiting for command (the multiples of each role, since there was an ongoing AI gimick I wasn't aware of.) While I was doing so, people were complaining about the AI in coms. Heeding the warning, when I came in and found the other 'director' (who was roleplaying not knowing what to do due to the gimmick rather well.) I reasoned it would be fine to disconnect the borgs link to the AI until I got further clarification on what was going on. The gimmick was explained to me, and I attempted to relink the borg, but for some reason repairing the wire wasn't relinking the borg. We tried troubleshooting it over looc, but I think the borg ahelped and got it fixed.

My second issue during the round was when a borg sprite I had never seen before rolled up (looked like a generic borg with the light hat on) came by and requested my ID, after the AI had ordered the surrender of all ID's. At the time the then captain that I recognized from prior rounds had informed me that he intended to turn off the AI, and so I didn't really want to comply. I didn't feel threatened, until it hit me. It asked me to again drop my ID, and I put my PDA in my hand, getting ready to eject it and drop it on the ground. Then the captain and his friends showed up to bust me out, and then all bets were off while I was hitting the borg with everything I had, since I had backup. First was my PDA, because I agilely missed my click to try to get a bludgeoning weapon in my hand, and miss pressed a key to switch hands with my keyboard and was sweating. I then didn't miss my click, and drew my crowbar, which started a loading bar. I noticed the loading bar start up, and I panicked cause I in the moment forgot that would open the chasis. (Against normal opponents, the crowbar is my go to spanking weapon... which doesn't get used a lot because I avoid most fights cause I am bad at aurora combat.) The borg pushed me away, so I thought I was good. (After reviewing the log later after I was banned. In the chat the success message popped up despite me being a whole tile away, and the loading bar disappearing. My next post will be in bug reports. ) Not wanting to crowbar and open it again, I swapped to hand because I had no other weapon and... I think you know where this is going.

A combination of the captain breaking in with the borg chasing me around, and them staring at me trapped in the robotic's manufacturing wing with the power cell in my hands, kinda caused me to just roll with it.

I accidentally meme'd a borg.

The wackyedy sax series of events explanation out of the way, I want to first get my apology out of the way to the borg. Whoever played F.R.E.N. that round, I am super sorry. My return to the game has gaps in my memory, one of them being that borgs don't display items in their hands, so I had no appreciation of the fact that there was an underlining threat to my character with your hammer tool. If I had known that, I would of cooperated a lot sooner. I know the series of events sounds more like a story than truth, that is what Alberyk straight up said to me. However, it is true, and if I had taken the time to examine you, and known that I needed to do that, the scene would of played out a lot differently. F.R.E.N., you tried really hard to be fair with me, and your LOOC message that you should of killed instead of rp with me really deflated me. I didn't know what words to say, because I really don't want that mentality to be prevalent in the community. I used to have that mindset when antag players would gank me, or not give me as much time as I thought fair a long time ago, and it kind of killed my enjoyment of the server. Everyone has their own definition of 'reasonable time frames to reply' and 'reasonable amount of rp'. I play heavy rp because I am not skilled at robusting, nor do I want to be known as the most robust. If I had a preference, I'd want everyone to play more like you, and not feel punished when they play like you.

I tried to bring Alberyk's warning to heart, and I hope my interaction with the first borg shows my good intentions. I'm not sure how I could of recovered from the cell popping situation, without a lot of loocing with the other players who were breaking into the lab to save me, and made it to the borg to stop trying to help me and pause rp for a sec so that I could fix it. I didn't have that idea, and I am not sure if that would of flown with everyone else. Staff suggestions on how to reversal accidental mistreatment of antags/regular players as an antag would be appreciated for me so that I can apply it in the future.

I don't want to be known or have the reputation of a bad egg, I am just trying to relearn everything again. I wanna be a good egg.

Thanks for reading and considering my ban talk.

Edit: Adding a link to my bug report to contribute. https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/issues/8197

Edited by Tomiix
1 hour ago, Alberyk said:

I am fine with unbanning you, but due to the ban your staff whitelist has been removed, and you will have to re-apply later for it. Do you understand this?

I feel like this is overkill, and not only overkill, but kind of bans me from playing the main character I enjoy playing.

I don't feel like two instances of misconduct, one of which was accidental, should lead to me being banned from playing my character.

I'd like to request a probationary period, of the length of time it takes for my warning you gave me on this matter to expire. If I goof up again I cannot object to you taking my whitelist.

I feel like enough people benefit from me having my whitelist that it outweighs the recent two incidents of negatives.

If it would help, or make you feel better about this, me and the affected parties already talked and have gotten over the incident, and have actually had really pleasant conversation on how to improve and work with fleshie/Borg encounters that I can adapt and share with others. They said they intended to reply to the thread, if allowed and I think it could provide a perspective on why I might be deserving of that courtesy of the third strike.

Edit: For added context I think I would rather sit in 72 hour time out then have my whitelist barred for an indeterminate amount of time.

Edited by Tomiix

Sorry, but that is part of our guidelines as head of staff whitelist. If you get banned or receive too many administrative actions, you will have it removed. Even if I did not unban you, you would still have it removed. I am only warning you now so you are sure that you want to go with this ban appeal.

46 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

Sorry, but that is part of our guidelines as head of staff whitelist. If you get banned or receive too many administrative actions, you will have it removed. Even if I did not unban you, you would still have it removed. I am only warning you now so you are sure that you want to go with this ban appeal.

I'm confused, you make it sound like I have an option, when it currently seems like I either choose to be unbanned and lose my whitelist... or choose to be on 72 hour ban and still lose my whitelist.

Are you saying that I have some other option?

2 minutes ago, Tomiix said:

I'm confused, you make it sound like I have an option, when it currently seems like I either choose to be unbanned and lose my whitelist... or choose to be on 72 hour ban and still lose my whitelist.

Are you saying that I have some other option?

The point is; if you appeal, you do agree with the ban and want other chance, so you will also agree with the whitelist strip, since it is due to the ban. I am making this clear because we had people that made appeals/were fine with the ban and later wanted to make a staff complaint about having their whitelist removed. If you don't agree with it at all, you would have to make a staff complaint to rever my decision.

Tomiix apologized to me for their actions during that round and I have accepted it. I ahelped because from my perspective it seemed as though they were utilizing an exploit to deactivate my character, during a rather nasty lag spike at the time. I did also feel that they did not properly fear RP given their character being trapped in a bolted room with a dangerous combat borg, however they say they did not recognize my sprite, so I suppose I could have emoted better. As for my comments in LOOC, it was out of frustration because that is not the first time I have been borg memed while trying to do proper escalation role play.

I am not sure if my testimony will have any impact on the decision here, but I just wanted it known that myself and the player have resolved our differences.

Edited by StationCrab

I was that second borg that was originally unlinked from the AI. It had some very worrying behavior from someone who was whitelisted. Their first action right when they come on is to wordlessly unlink me and forget about me for the moment. I feel, judging by the fact they departed robotics as a whole for a bit, that the only reason why I wasn't left stranded without power was from the IC actions of the other robotisist. 

While I understand some of the points about people complaining about the AI, an immediate and wordless and questionless unlinking played to be later detrimental when it happened that I wouldn't get the combat borg. I just don't appreciate that it was very wordless and took 3-5 minutes to actually pop my upgraded cell back in. 

I am merely stating this as a player who's round got negatively impacted by the behavior of the RD play. Immediately and wordlessly severing the AI link as the first actions in the round is something that I wouldn't expect someone who holds a command application to do as it paints a very valid hunty look.

Keep in mind, I have no other context with any previous notes or warnings on you. I didn't bother to look them up and I never interacted with your command play before. I say this left a pretty bad first impression for me. In general, I will add that when players get banned, they lose their current command whitelist standings, and it is something standard that every whitelisted individual faces as they must maintain an ok record on the server. 

33 minutes ago, sonicgotnuked said:

I was that second borg that was originally unlinked from the AI. It had some very worrying behavior from someone who was whitelisted. Their first action right when they come on is to wordlessly unlink me and forget about me for the moment. I feel, judging by the fact they departed robotics as a whole for a bit, that the only reason why I wasn't left stranded without power was from the IC actions of the other robotisist. 

While I understand some of the points about people complaining about the AI, an immediate and wordless and questionless unlinking played to be later detrimental when it happened that I wouldn't get the combat borg. I just don't appreciate that it was very wordless and took 3-5 minutes to actually pop my upgraded cell back in. 

I am merely stating this as a player who's round got negatively impacted by the behavior of the RD play. Immediately and wordlessly severing the AI link as the first actions in the round is something that I wouldn't expect someone who holds a command application to do as it paints a very valid hunty look.

Keep in mind, I have no other context with any previous notes or warnings on you. I didn't bother to look them up and I never interacted with your command play before. I say this left a pretty bad first impression for me. In general, I will add that when players get banned, they lose their current command whitelist standings, and it is something standard that every whitelisted individual faces as they must maintain an ok record on the server. 

Hello!

First of all, sorry that I wasn't able to apologise to you in private. I didn't know that you played thay Borg until now. So, sorry about the round!

I had no understanding that cutting your link would not be a reversable action. I thought I would be able to cut it, question you, and uncut it. Thinking it would liberate you. When I cut you and put the cell back in, and you commented on the unlinking, the other director at the time mentioned the command announcement. I repaired your link and was kinda devastated that it didn't fix itself right away. If I had known that cutting the unlink while fixing your cell was not reversable, and would hamper your entire round, obviously i would not of done it. I thought I was being clever for further RP and instead I was embarrassed.

So, sorry for my general stupidity, and harming your gameplay. Now that I know this, I'm not gonna mess with the Borg wires.

I would like to say my record before the past few days was very good. I made a real bad judgement call the day before the incident in reference in the op. So my lack of knowing how mechanics works is kind of killing me here. I would understand if it was beyond a reasonable doubt that I had bad intentions, or if this behavior was more consistent then just these two rounds. But it isn't, which is why I'm asking for clemency.