[Resolved] Staff Complaint - NursieKitty

BYOND Key: Hepatica01

Staff BYOND Key: NurseKitty

Game ID: b6o-doF7

Reason for complaint: I believe I was unfairly given a warning for something that is done incredibly often in a slightly different, if not MORE dangerous manner and is rarely if ever punished, because it makes no sense to punish it. What happened was: I was in a round of Ninja and Wizard. I had been made an apprentice early on, along with others. My character, Salvation, is a missionary of the Trinary Perfection, and as such cares deeply for the synthetics. She often goes out of her way to ensure security synthetics are alright in the event that they are faced with a serious threat. While she was speaking with Pulsar, a security officer IPC, a call came in that the Head of Security had been taken hostage by the Ninja. The two went to the location, at the main elevators, near the front of the brig, and Salvation was told by Pulsar to loop around and cover the flank. Salvation went around after calling for the Wizard to come by as well, and got behind them. At this point, my character had learned magic missile, which given she had to learn it from the book instead of it just being a staff which she might not know what they do exactly, it could be assumed that Salvation would know exactly what the spell did and it's effectiveness. So, knowing it would be a near instant knock down on the Commander and the Ninja, Salvation yelled out that she would defeat this evil man, at which point they turned to look at her, and she unleashed the magic missile, instantly knocking the two down before anyone had a chance to react. After the two were knocked to the ground, the main Wizard walked up and turned the Ninja into a dog, completely stripping him of all his items. Once this happened, I was contacted by Nursie in the form of an ahelp to say that what I did was wrong, and I was promptly given a warning as a result.

Here is my issue with this ruling: An uncountable amount of times, both IC and in real life, have flashbangs been utilized in hostage situations to allow Security to rush in and deal with the threat while keeping the safety of the hostages in mind. If anything, flashbanging that situation would have been more deadly due to the unadjustable timer on a flashbang IC, which would give time for the hostage taker to react. This is not the case with magic missile, you have MAYBE half a second to react as it comes out before it floors you. It was a completely safe action to take which resulted in the safety of the Commander. My idea was that without further acting on the Ninja, he would be able to do whatever afterwards,  and as I had made no collaboration with the main Wizard on their act of polymorphing them into a corgi, I had no idea that was going to happen. Just as well, the person who turned them into a corgi didn't get so much as a bwoink, but I got a warning out of it, which I would like removed from my account. I dispusted with Nursie what I said above, to which she replied "then i can assure you that we've absolutely contacted people over it. regardless, your actions were not dissimilar, and that's the issue here. you put someone in grave danger by rushing someone with a hostage." She even admits that my actions were not unlike flashbanging, and yet suddenly it's an issue? I didn't even rush anyone, I stop, yelled out two different things, and used magic missile, at which point MULTIPLE people converged on the situation. I have never, ever, ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for flashbanging a hostage situation, and even confirmed as such after asking a multitude of people who play security often.

Evidence/logs/etc: Nursie1.PNG.5255dedf6d5457e155710f566577a73a.PNG

Additional remarks: I would have had more logs for this, but of course my game crashed as I was trying to go through it. I am not asking for anything more then for the warning to be removed from my account, as I think it is completely unfair.

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz

Alright, I am the ninja involved, and I will approach this as a players perspective in the round. Don't get me wrong, I was enjoying the round, up to this point.

Security at that point of time was shooting me with lethals and escalating. I was interacting with crew and them. I took the tranq rifle and shot a couple officers with it to try and take the ion rifle. Now I get EMPed, shot up, and escape to buy me enough time to repair my suit and heal my wounds.

I went up, to continue the round, and took the Head of Security hostage since he was the one with the ion rifle at the time. Now see this as my perspective, I take the HoS hostage so I can stop security, and say some demands with the HoS at sword point. I only had about enough in the moment to get the HoS to stop resisting and security to calm down and lay off the weapons. Then I suddenly have a IPC walk up behind, tell me that I'm an evil doer, and magic missile me to the floor. This practically shut down the entire hostage situation, instantly, at which point the wizard turned me into a corgi, making me naked, surrounded by security who was promptly on top of me. I at that point asked if I could ghost so I could leave the round and calm myself down while security was running "Just roll with it" in LOOC.

I personally found this entire situation extremely poor. There is a difference between security using flashbangs to stop someone from killing a hostage versus using flashbangs before the hostage taker could even have enough time to make demands. I made it clear I was starting a hostage situation. It was clear that this was a hostage situation. This is much like the rulings where security was rushing hostages because they can be cloned. Yes, a flashbang and magic missile will shut down the hostage situation, but that is extremely poor security play before I could even do anything else. In my own personal and player perspective, it looked like someone was given wizard powers just so they could run around and hunt ninjas. I would like to note that the wizard immediately understood in AOOC and was very apologetic but it started with a purposeful magic missle just to shut down the hostage situation before any role play value could be taken out of it.

My goal wasn't to completely shut down the antag, I had no intention of acting further after the magic missle, and I assumed the Ninja would be able to get up and teleport or stealth away to continue RP elsewhere. I had no idea that the wizard was going to do what he did, and I will say that it was pretty cheap. While I won't deny that what I did shut down the hostage situation, I only did so with the IC understanding that this Ninja had been lethal and hostile towards security, which it even mentioned over radio that it had been non lethal to security and would no longer be so, so from an IC perspective it was thought that this was only being down to continue harm, which it was my character's goal, at the time, as a character who is very staunchly against harm coming to others, to prevent. I didn't even know there was Ninja's in the round before I was given the powers, they were really dropped right in my lap through RP by the Wizard, as the Wizard had specifically come to seek my character out for RP reasons. My intentions of getting the powers IC was "I can use this to help the Trinary Perfection church and keep my people safe", and not at all to be valid hunty.

I do feel bad the way it turned out, I even apologized in AOOC too as it was not my intention to shut things down completely. I knew they wouldn't be able to cuff him due to the hardsuit, so I was very confident that he'd be able to escape and instead continue things at another time.

I mean, if someone takes a hostage, it's clear they're hostile. All hostage situations means that the antag is being hostile, and in my perspective, I was hostile. That shouldn't excuse suddenly shutting down the situation because magic. It's incredibly poor regardless even if you'd think I'd get away or not. I took the hostage so I can further interact with security and not make this a running match between us. I can run with security 4 steps behind me, personally, and I could've just as easily decapped the head of security and dragged his body into the brig since security was already shoot on sight with me.

Anyway, the round is over, and I'm done posting my perspective.

3 hours ago, Hepatica said:

Salvation yelled out that she would defeat this evil man, at which point they turned to look at her, and she unleashed the magic missile, instantly knocking the two down before anyone had a chance to react.

Herein lies the issue I spoke to you about. It was not at all reasonable or fair for you to rush someone like this who was holding a hostage. Regardless of how your character feels about the hostage, this situation could have very quickly gone south should something wrong occur. You are obligated to be aware of this. Behavior like this is not acceptable, especially in regards to someone who's been here for quite a while now.

4 hours ago, Hepatica said:

Here is my issue with this ruling: An uncountable amount of times, both IC and in real life, have flashbangs been utilized in hostage situations to allow Security to rush in and deal with the threat while keeping the safety of the hostages in mind. If anything, flashbanging that situation would have been more deadly due to the unadjustable timer on a flashbang IC, which would give time for the hostage taker to react. This is not the case with magic missile, you have MAYBE half a second to react as it comes out before it floors you. It was a completely safe action to take which resulted in the safety of the Commander. My idea was that without further acting on the Ninja, he would be able to do whatever afterwards,  and as I had made no collaboration with the main Wizard on their act of polymorphing them into a corgi, I had no idea that was going to happen. Just as well, the person who turned them into a corgi didn't get so much as a bwoink, but I got a warning out of it, which I would like removed from my account. I dispusted with Nursie what I said above, to which she replied "then i can assure you that we've absolutely contacted people over it. regardless, your actions were not dissimilar, and that's the issue here. you put someone in grave danger by rushing someone with a hostage." She even admits that my actions were not unlike flashbanging, and yet suddenly it's an issue? I didn't even rush anyone, I stop, yelled out two different things, and used magic missile, at which point MULTIPLE people converged on the situation. I have never, ever, ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for flashbanging a hostage situation, and even confirmed as such after asking a multitude of people who play security often.

This is not real life. This is a game, where we're obligated to consider fairness towards other players, good sportsmanship, and story building. With this in mind, what you did was not fair by any means to the antagonist, nor was it your place to do so, and most certainly warranted a verbal warning. As far as I know, we have a precedent of contacting players who rush into hostage situations (flashbang or no) because of these reasons, and I've yet to hear otherwise from the other staff members. If these incidents are going unpunished, it's a different problem, but not one you're at fault for.

I'm withholding most of my judgement of these actions IC because I know of Salvation's role in the Trinary, however, we still have rules against the reckless endangerment of other crew as part of our "sane character" rules.

To clarify, you were given a verbal warning for your actions. Not a formal one. I apologize if there was any confusion.