The Eridanian Corporate Credit Score: Sponsored by the CouncilTM, Eat Your Soy!

Type (e.g. Planet, Faction, System): System/Faction, I guess

Describe this proposal in a single sentence (12 word maximum): You do not spark productivity nor profits, how blue dyed!

How will this be reflected on-station? It could inspire certain behaviors in Eridanians station-wide, in how they work with their colleagues and how they treat others/how Command would be thinking.

Does this faction/etc do anything not achieved by what already exists? It shows how inherently hostile of an environment the Federation is for both Dregs and Suits; they both have to fight some exploitative force.

Why should this be given to lore developers rather than remain player created lore? It's small, but would make a notable impact in the exact feel for how an actual Eridanian workplace would be, and how their work would affect life.

Do you understand that if this is submitted, you are signing it away to the lore team, and that it's possible that it will change over time in ways that you may not foresee?

Yep, though I don't expect any massive changes in the future since this fits Eri pretty well already.

Long Description:

Spoiler

During the Depression of the 23rd Century, the Eridani Federation saw rise to different concepts for boosting the Alliance's economy. Increased manufacturing speed, surplus exports, more imports- several ideas proposed and occasionally enacted for short-term benefit, but one idea propped up for long-term benefit of both the Federation's finances, and the Alliance's: the Eridanian 'Corporate Reputation Score.'

This Corporate Reputation Score, commonly referred to as repscore, would be an invisible number that determined the standing of different employees. Its purpose would be to encourage productivity and profits; the more an employee hits their quotas, do a bit of overtime, or complete paperwork- it's calculated into the complex repscore. Screens and boards incentivize specific actions that cameras and monitors recognize and add onto the score. Consoles and programs log and track queries, clicks, and typed information to then be analyzed for a portfolio on the general 'usefulness' the employee has to their corporation. The system is unfair and sparsely rewards low-score employees while barely deducting anything from higher-score managers and bigwigs, whom are also capable of seeing and sometimes exploiting the significantly lower scores of their subordinates. General low-score employees are also typically barred from taking out-of-system shuttles, unless it is a planned business trip. It's seen as a form of privilege to even leave the star system.

While the system is incredibly invasive and barely respects privacy, it's advertised as non-intrusive, a sort of motivator and as something that's only calculating 'during office hours.' There are largely-unknown ties with the system to influencing how the NAP treats individuals and more 'known-secret' cases of how it can conveniently cause lower prices for workplace-friendly items, affects social media bubbles, or nearly ruin a newcomer from a different corporation to dregdom.

notes or something: I know people will think I researched China for this, but I really just moderately-exaggerated current corp-privacy practices. If you want to get the full vibe and feel of repscores, imagine the following:

It's your ten-minute break, you've been fucking starving! You go to the vending machine and swipe for a soda and quick mealpack. You take your time to eat and enjoy this and overstay you break by about eight minutes, but you don't think anyone noticed since you were kinda alone in your place. You do this a few more times since you don't have enough money to get filling food past soypackets.

A day or two later, you go to order and you see all these small snacks, but no real mealpacks. You're disappointed since they were quick but more filling than these stupid cheap snacks. Turns out the option for mealpacks were made digitally unavailable to you by drone, and off the menu for your shifts- because the camera saw you eating past your break and calculated that the packs took too long to eat and cut into productivity.

Edited by GreenBoi
snippet about low-score employees having less privileges

Please. Please god. This would accentuate the bit that goes "Corporations having absolute control over its citizens means that there is absolutely no privacy - everything that one does is collected as data, and then processed by advertisers, HR managers and law enforcement.", putting more emphasis in the sheer paranoia-fueled anxiety of having to live in this type of environment. It feels written very succinctly for people who aren't as familiar with the concept of Social Credit scores or their horrifying implications.

Plus, it would also be very interesting to explore further if the system changes a bit according to each Sector/Seat influence, but that might be 100% me instead of an impartial opinion. This also shows how both Suits and Dregs are afflicted by the Corporations, not just "Oh yeah poor Dregs".

I do wholeheartedly believe this will be a great addition overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...